Sponsored

Regear for Ecodiesel - What Ratio

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Well, hells bells and cockle shells! Looks like I’m going to be way over geared. 😬
Im going thru the gearing decision my self for a JT build.

I have talked and read a lot recently with a few different shops that are building for 40/42’s. One place only recommends 5.38 for these builds, 3.0 or 3.6. I read that AEV recommends 4.56 for 37’s and that regearing for the ED is more important than it is for the 3.6 in regard to MPG and keeping it close to factory specs.

I’m thinking match the factory gearing for a ED Sport (3.73 with 31” tire) then bump it up once for heavy builds or down one for better MPG. From the factory the Sport w/ED has the highest rated MPG.

I have noticed the ED likes the lower gears in start/stop type driving.

I would not regear for 37’s on factory axles. I’m ordering new axles so I have a decision to make.
Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
👆Nothing like real-world information

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Anyone that goes with 5.38 is going to be pissed . 4.88 is max for actual height 40s and almost stock with 42s ..

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Im going thru the gearing decision my self for a JT build.

I have talked and read a lot recently with a few different shops that are building for 40/42’s. One place only recommends 5.38 for these builds, 3.0 or 3.6. I read that AEV recommends 4.56 for 37’s and that regearing for the ED is more important than it is for the 3.6 in regard to MPG and keeping it close to factory specs.

I’m thinking match the factory gearing for a ED Sport (3.73 with 31” tire) then bump it up once for heavy builds or down one for better MPG. From the factory the Sport w/ED has the highest rated MPG.

I have noticed the ED likes the lower gears in start/stop type driving.

I would not regear for 37’s on factory axles. I’m ordering new axles so I have a decision to make.
Originally we were going with 5:13’s. Then we changed it to 5:38’s. My axles, are sitting in the crates, so no going back for me..

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone that goes with 5.38 is going to be pissed . 4.88 is max for actual height 40s and almost stock with 42s ..
I’ll tell you how pissed I am when she’s done. Because my Dynatrac axles have 5:38’s. Our plan is for Nitto 42’s, yet getting them with out paying a Covid markup is virtually impossible.

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the finest gear/rpm calculator I have ever seen

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
Just wanted to say thank you to OP and everyone else that has weighed in here. This thread is SUPER helpful and will selfishly save me a lot of time & money not experimenting.

Very rare to have JLURD specific information like this in advance of purchasing anything for my build, and it's appreciated!

Sponsored

Chainringtattoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon ecodiesel
First post here and greetings to all my fellow JLURD owners. Mine is bone stock right now but I'm getting ready to order a set of Fusion Elite 60s so I need to decide gearing now. I'll be running 39" KM3s to begin with. I'm trying to keep it as light as I can with Next Venture aluminum bumpers and skids since they are local to me. I'm 90 minutes from Moab and 2 hours from Ouray so I can play every weekend and be home in time for dinner. Right now I'm leaning towards 4.56 unless someone has a compelling reason I should go lower. I'm really liking the highway MPG and don't want to kill it more than I need to. Honestly, in 4LO this thing feels like it could pull down a house. Big difference from my JK. Pic of when I picked it up 3 weeks ago.
Jeep Wrangler JL Regear for Ecodiesel - What Ratio 8CC8352F-C955-43C5-A6FC-863CE0102D6B

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
First post here and greetings to all my fellow JLURD owners. Mine is bone stock right now but I'm getting ready to order a set of Fusion Elite 60s so I need to decide gearing now. I'll be running 39" KM3s to begin with. I'm trying to keep it as light as I can with Next Venture aluminum bumpers and skids since they are local to me. I'm 90 minutes from Moab and 2 hours from Ouray so I can play every weekend and be home in time for dinner. Right now I'm leaning towards 4.56 unless someone has a compelling reason I should go lower. I'm really liking the highway MPG and don't want to kill it more than I need to. Honestly, in 4LO this thing feels like it could pull down a house. Big difference from my JK. Pic of when I picked it up 3 weeks ago.
Jeep Wrangler JL Regear for Ecodiesel - What Ratio 8CC8352F-C955-43C5-A6FC-863CE0102D6B
4.56 will get you back to stock . With the diesel torque anything more just closes the rpm range window .

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
I went to 4.56 with 37's on my JLURD. If I went any bigger on the tires, I would not re-gear again. Right now my RPM's are slightly higher on the highway than stock. In 4 low, I hit the high gears in the 20-25 mph range, and I can put it in first gear and let it crawl downhill at a snail's pace. There is torque to spare with my setup.

Chainringtattoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon ecodiesel
Called around for some 39" BFG KM3s today and it looks like there are none. Discount Tire called BFG directly and BFG said they weren't in production and no time frame to restart production...if ever. Now I have to come up with a new plan. I did get some shocks ordered but was told January delivery. Who else is getting tired of shortages and back orders?

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yessir, our "leaders'' have done us a great disservice.
Sponsored