Sponsored

Regear for 37's on a JLU Sahara 6 Speed?

Rob_M27

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Planning on doing 3.5'' lift with 37's on my Sahara 6 speed, just wondering if I'm going to have to re gear for this set up?
Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Planning on doing 3.5'' lift with 37's on my Sahara 6 speed, just wondering if I'm going to have to re gear for this set up?
That's five inches larger than stock, and the stock gearing is barely acceptable for the 6 speed on 32's.

If I were you, I'd absolutely regear. If not, you're never seeing 6th gear, ever, and likely 5th won't be terribly awesome either. It'll be a total dog without regearing.

4.10's or higher.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
You didn't say why you are doing it. Serious ego mall crawling or serious rock stuff. Seems like overkill to me. Would appreciate some insight.

OP
OP

Rob_M27

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
You didn't say why you are doing it. Serious ego mall crawling or serious rock stuff. Seems like overkill to me. Would appreciate some insight.
Basically mall crawling. Just being honest

KCwrangler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Basically mall crawling. Just being honest
I wonā€™t knock a guy for wanting a good looking ride without having all the supporting mods to go rock crawling...Iā€™m the same way. Iā€™ll hit the trails, but nothing crazy that my stock Sahara couldnā€™t handle.

I have an automatic due to my left knee issues, so Iā€™m not in the same boat as you as far as gearing but Iā€™m going with 35s on my Sahara...still a massive tire, and I remember a few years ago when 33s were ā€œwhoaā€ big. Did you give any consideration to a 35 vs 37?

What I will say about this forum, the JL is still new and expensive (compared to a lot of vehicles)...so that does weed out some of the dickhead comments here and there. This thread wouldnā€™t have even gotten off the ground in a JK forum if you admitted you were only looking for appearance and not performance :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I have the 6 speed and 35ā€™s. 5th gear is gone unless Iā€™m at sea level on a flat highway. When fully loaded Iā€™m in 3rd gear mainting 65~ mph on large hills. Especially going up to Tahoe.

You will want to re gear for sure. I am going 4.88ā€™s.

I play in the rocks and first gear being 5.13 helps but re gearing to 4.88ā€™s will help a lot off road as well.

CDD4497C-8A9F-4E1A-8E24-F27582B766AC.jpeg

mickey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 Corvette zo6, 2013 BMW 535i
Regearing is something that few people have done, but many people have strong opinions about. Maybe some one in your area has a JL with lower gearing that you can talk to, or even drive.
You will transform the way your Jeep drives with new gears, I personally have regeared several of the cars I have owned and just got our JL - six speed Rubicon with 35's back after installing 5.13's. New gears will be pricey but, I think it will be the best money you will spend on your jeep. It will be so much more fun to drive and you will spend way less time down shifting to maintain your speed with the lower gears.
Maybe you should consider 5.38's with the 37's?

gts

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Regearing is something that few people have done, but many people have strong opinions about. Maybe some one in your area has a JL with lower gearing that you can talk to, or even drive.
You will transform the way your Jeep drives with new gears, I personally have regeared several of the cars I have owned and just got our JL - six speed Rubicon with 35's back after installing 5.13's. New gears will be pricey but, I think it will be the best money you will spend on your jeep. It will be so much more fun to drive and you will spend way less time down shifting to maintain your speed with the lower gears.
I see the parts are ~$1k (at least for the 44s) about how much should I expect to spend on labor?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
He Canā€™t do 5.38ā€™s in a Sahara with the dana 30 up front...even if they do make them..I wouldnā€™t do it. Very few even make 5.13ā€™s. Wouldnā€™t go past 4.88ā€™s.

How do you like the 5.13ā€™s? Iā€™ll be going 4.88ā€™s myself.

mickey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He Canā€™t do 5.38ā€™s in a Sahara with the dana 30 up front...even if they do make them..I wouldnā€™t do it. Very few even make 5.13ā€™s. Wouldnā€™t go past 4.88ā€™s.

How do you like the 5.13ā€™s? Iā€™ll be going 4.88ā€™s myself.
Yes you are right, I did not consider the dana 30 in the front.
5.13 was a good choice for us, hilly here in east TN.
at 55 mph we are just in the power band of the 3.6.
So we love the new gears, it drives like I think it should, never seems like a low geared trail only rig.
First gear is low, but it should double the life of the clutch, no more slipping to get going on a steep spot.
The big jump from second to third is now much better, engine pulls the gap nicely.

The new axles in the Jl have a much larger pinion shaft diameter, looks huge next to the JK stuff so I think the 5.13 and even the 5.38's gear sets would still be nice and strong (imho).

4.88's will be a good choice too, I just did not want to wish I had went with the lower gear set, so I chose the 5.13's.
I think you will be totally happy with the 4.88's.
Do not wai

Sponsored

mickey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see the parts are ~$1k (at least for the 44s) about how much should I expect to spend on labor?
I spent 1000.00 on parts and 800.00 on labor.
let us know what you decide to do.

Reactions: gts

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Yes, I just referred my 6-speed sport on 35ā€™s and Mopar lift. I went 4.88 as I do highway driving and off roading . Worth the $!! So much better!!!
5.13 would be even more fun off road, but Iā€™m at 2500 rpm in 6th going 75 which is perfect for me!
Sponsored