Regear break in procedure question

Scootin_JL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I understand the break in process of 15-20 miles then cool down a few times and change diff oil after 500 miles. My question is about the front axle gears, do I have to run it in 4hi for 500 miles too? Or will just do the break in in 2wd and it will break in the front too?
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Our we supposed to change our diff oil after 500 miles during break in period? I doubt many, if any has done that.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I understand the break in process of 15-20 miles then cool down a few times and change diff oil after 500 miles. My question is about the front axle gears, do I have to run it in 4hi for 500 miles too? Or will just do the break in in 2wd and it will break in the front too?
You have to run it in 4H as well. Your Rubicon has a front axle disconnect (FAD) and in 2H the ring and pinion are not turning and thus are not breaking in.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Our we supposed to change our diff oil after 500 miles during break in period? I doubt many, if any has done that.
OP is talking about break-in after a regear. After 500 miles, the diff oil must be changed.

OP
OP
Scootin_JL

Scootin_JL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
You have to run it in 4H as well. Your Rubicon has a front axle disconnect (FAD) and in 2H the ring and pinion are not turning and thus are not breaking in.
I have a non FAD front axle. I'm still going to run in 4hi on a fire road to put pressure on gears.
Sponsored