Reducing sway and body roll

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Maybe you guys can help me out. I am running a Metalcloack 2.5 GC with 35's on my JLUR. I have a rooftop tent as well. I would like to reduce sway and body roll on the street and highway. What would you guys recommend doing to reduce this? I have read relocating rear track bar or replacing rear sway bar with a beefier one (Hellwig). Any positive experience/feedback doing this and reducing the body roll? Would it make sense to do both?
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

placement of the RTT and weight of the RTT is the big factor here. I run a Roam Vegabond tent at 130lbs plus the rack which is roughly 35lbs that is a lot of weight to try and stabilize. I thought it was bad at first but now that i have my tent centered as i could between the wheels helped a lot. that and with 12K miles with my tent on i hardly notice how much it moves the jeep around. you can check out the anti rock sway bars. they work great at keeping the jeep level while off-roading- but i do not know first hand.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Maybe you guys can help me out. I am running a Metalcloack 2.5 GC with 35's on my JLUR. I have a rooftop tent as well. I would like to reduce sway and body roll on the street and highway. What would you guys recommend doing to reduce this? I have read relocating rear track bar or replacing rear sway bar with a beefier one (Hellwig). Any positive experience/feedback doing this and reducing the body roll? Would it make sense to do both?
Have Antirock?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have both an aftermarket rear track bar and an axle side relocation/reinforcement bracket. Raising the axle end of the track bar helps restore the roll center to the same height, in relation to the body after a lift. I also added the frame side reinforcement for the rear track bar. The bar and both brackets made a large difference in making the rear end feel very solid and stable.

A Hellwig rear sway bar would definitely help minimize body roll, but might also limit the further reaches of Metalcloak flex.

The Curry Antirock has 2 different bar thicknesses. The thicker one is meant for the heavier JK, but can also be used on a heavier built JL. It works best, as far as keeping the body level, when both the front and rear are done.

If it were me, I'd start with both rear track bar brackets, for the strength and rigidity and the raised roll center that'll help rear stability. If more was needed after that, I'd go with front and rear Antirocks. A Hellwig rear bar, coupled with a disconnected front, would be a very imbalanced setup that would mostly rely on the front axle handling most of the stuffing and drooping.

OP
OP
Levin_tom

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
placement of the RTT and weight of the RTT is the big factor here. I run a Roam Vegabond tent at 130lbs plus the rack which is roughly 35lbs that is a lot of weight to try and stabilize. I thought it was bad at first but now that i have my tent centered as i could between the wheels helped a lot. that and with 12K miles with my tent on i hardly notice how much it moves the jeep around. you can check out the anti rock sway bars. they work great at keeping the jeep level while off-roading- but i do not know first hand.
Thanks for the advice! I centered it pretty well when I installed it but will check again and make sure it’s good. Don’t want to bite the bullet on anti rock sway bars yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Levin_tom

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I have both an aftermarket rear track bar and an axle side relocation/reinforcement bracket. Raising the axle end of the track bar helps restore the roll center to the same height, in relation to the body after a lift. I also added the frame side reinforcement for the rear track bar. The bar and both brackets made a large difference in making the rear end feel very solid and stable.

A Hellwig rear sway bar would definitely help minimize body roll, but might also limit the further reaches of Metalcloak flex.

The Curry Antirock has 2 different bar thicknesses. The thicker one is meant for the heavier JK, but can also be used on a heavier built JL. It works best, as far as keeping the body level, when both the front and rear are done.

If it were me, I'd start with both rear track bar brackets, for the strength and rigidity and the raised roll center that'll help rear stability. If more was needed after that, I'd go with front and rear Antirocks. A Hellwig rear bar, coupled with a disconnected front, would be a very imbalanced setup that would mostly rely on the front axle handling most of the stuffing and drooping.
Thanks for the advice Mike! I agree in starting with rear track bar brackets. What track bar brackets do you recommend? Synergy?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I think a front antirock swaybar would provide more sway than the stock sway bar wouldn’t it? Otherwise what is the point of it.

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

The Curry Anti Rock sway bars actually allow more body roll than the stock roll bar. Their beauty is they allow excellent axle articulation while providing stability in off-road conditions that a sway bar disconnect doesn't. The do make two different diameter sway bars and assume the thicker one will allow better roll control but with more limited wheel travel while always being connected. There are two stage roll bar replacements that work similar to the Curry Anti-Rock that give near or better road manners than the factory stock bar in one position and Anti-Rock like roll control in the other position. You do have to switch a selector control though I think electric switch control is available.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice Mike! I agree in starting with rear track bar brackets. What track bar brackets do you recommend? Synergy?
Yes, I happen to have Synergy brackets on both ends of my rear track bar. At that time, I was completing the Dynatrac lift with their control arms and rear track bar, so I kept things matching by using their brackets.

The axle side relocation is pricy compared to others, but it's overall design doesn't rely on a gusset and u-bolt that reaches further inboard on the axle tube. I needed that axle tube real-estate for the Metalcloak rear diff skid. In hindsight, I much prefer the Next Venture Motorsports diff skids, that would happen to not interfere with any one else's rear track bar relocation bracket.

I've been replacing all the synergy arms and the rear track bar is the last piece to swap. Their bushings don't flex as much as I need with my current Metalcloak lift. I'll keep the 2 rear brackets, because they are built strong and have worked very well. But really any brackets from a reputable company will work just as well.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Actually had one of the rear brackets sitting on the bench out in the shop, after reading some of this today I figured what the hell and I threw it on. One of the things I disliked about doing the lift was the back of the keep always felt loose. After installing the bracket today I would say this was probably the biggest improvement of the ride quality after the lift. The Fox DSC shocks made a big difference but raising the rear track bar made a huge improvement on the stability, we had 40+ mph wind gusts today also so that’s saying something.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Thanks for the advice! I centered it pretty well when I installed it but will check again and make sure it’s good. Don’t want to bite the bullet on anti rock sway bars yet.
I feel you on that. I’m gonna hold off awhile on them myself. Just a little out of budget currently lol. Here’s to happy jeeping

OP
OP
Levin_tom

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Actually had one of the rear brackets sitting on the bench out in the shop, after reading some of this today I figured what the hell and I threw it on. One of the things I disliked about doing the lift was the back of the keep always felt loose. After installing the bracket today I would say this was probably the biggest improvement of the ride quality after the lift. The Fox DSC shocks made a big difference but raising the rear track bar made a huge improvement on the stability, we had 40+ mph wind gusts today also so that’s saying something.
Thanks Jim, will install in the next few weeks and give you my feedback!

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score