Sponsored

Reducing Body Roll, Suspension?Spring?Rear Sway Bar? Air Bags?

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR Granite Crystal
Occupation
Architect
Hi all,

I have a 2020 JLUR stock suspension, stock springs with 2.5" Teraflex Performance spacer lift kit.

I have iKamper xCover RTT + Rhino Rack Backbone + Pioneer Platform + Darche 270 Eclipse Awning and other overlanding stuff.

The Jeeps' body roll is really bad even without the RTT.

Can anyone recommend an upgrade to reduce it? Springs?Suspensions?Rear Sway Bars? Air Bags?
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You added spacers when you should have added springs. Would look at Overland type springs designed to carry the extra weight. OME and JKS has springs designed for you application.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
You added spacers when you should have added springs. Would look at Overland type springs designed to carry the extra weight. OME and JKS has springs designed for you application.
I added spacers to my Jeep to lift it when I first got into off-roading. After doing it so often, I fell in love with it and even more in love with over landing hence the upgrade. It’s a step by step process of falling in love with the sport and upgrading as I didn’t know much about Jeep and it’s sport previously
I had increased lean and what I would describe as a squirming under acceleration when I lifted my JL by 2.5+ inches.

I improved the roll center of the rear suspension and that helped my JL a great deal. I used a synergy brace:
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-jlu-rear-track-bar-relocation-bracket.html

mine is not an overlanding rig, so YMMV
I’ll take a look. Thanks mate.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I added spacers to my Jeep to lift it when I first got into off-roading. After doing it so often, I fell in love with it and even more in love with over landing hence the upgrade. It’s a step by step process of falling in love with the sport and upgrading as I didn’t know much about Jeep and it’s sport previously

I’ll take a look. Thanks mate.
No worries. Old Man Emu/ARB springs be available in your area I would reckon.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
+1 for fixing the roll center. The distance between the center of gravity and your roll center is now 2.5" longer than OEM, meaning that the weight of the vehicle essentially has a 2.5" longer lever arm to cause body roll. There are only two ways to shorten this lever arm: raise the roll center or lower the center of gravity.

Adding the Synergy track bar bracket posted earlier will help. Since it raises one side 3.25", the resulting roll center will be 1.625" higher. Ideally you would be able to raise the roll center 2.5", but I doubt a 5" tall bracket would fit (and nobody makes one).

rear_suspension_design-panhard_bar-jpg.jpg

OP
OP

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
their products have an up to 25% markup. I dont know why it’s more expensive in AU

+1 for fixing the roll center. The distance between the center of gravity and your roll center is now 2.5" longer than OEM, meaning that the weight of the vehicle essentially has a 2.5" longer lever arm to cause body roll. There are only two ways to shorten this lever arm: raise the roll center or lower the center of gravity.

Adding the Synergy track bar bracket posted earlier will help. Since it raises one side 3.25", the resulting roll center will be 1.625" higher. Ideally you would be able to raise the roll center 2.5", but I doubt a 5" tall bracket would fit (and nobody makes one).

Jeep Wrangler JL Reducing Body Roll, Suspension?Spring?Rear Sway Bar? Air Bags? rear_suspension_design-panhard_bar-
will not work as I am RHD. I need RHD specific

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
their products have an up to 25% markup. I dont know why it’s more expensive in AU

will not work as I am RHD. I need RHD specific
The track bar is different on RHD? If so, please share a photo so that I can compare to LHD.

Jeep Wrangler JL Reducing Body Roll, Suspension?Spring?Rear Sway Bar? Air Bags? 20180205120126-55079e43

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I never thought of that before, but I bet it is reversed. The front track bar Has to be parallel with the Drag link from the steering box, the steering box is on the right hand side so it makes sense the front is reversed. So of course they would reverse the rear one also.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I never thought of that before, but I bet it is reversed. The front track bar Has to be parallel with the Drag link from the steering box, the steering box is on the right hand side so it makes sense the front is reversed. So of course they would reverse the rear one also.
That's a good point...

I can't think of any particular reason why the rear would have to be mirrored, but that doesn't mean they didn't do it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
That's a good point...

I can't think of any particular reason why the rear would have to be mirrored, but that doesn't mean they didn't do it.
If i could get a RHD Track Bar bracket, I would, but we don't have any. The track bar is not flipped but the bracket is.

I just purchased a beefier swaybar from Whiteline so we'll see how that goes.

But I reckon i'll get a coil spring upgrade, shocks and maybe airbag.

Just need some recommendations.

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Can I install a track bar bracket and an adjustable track bar? This way you get the added benefit of lower roll center and stiffer bar. I only have terraflex 2” spacer in front a 1” in back on a JL Rubi

OP
OP

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
Can I install a track bar bracket and an adjustable track bar? This way you get the added benefit of lower roll center and stiffer bar. I only have terraflex 2” spacer in front a 1” in back on a JL Rubi
Don't hijack my thread man T_T

But yes, technically you are supposed to install both but depending on the lift, you can get away with bracket only.

But you have a 2" and 1" you don't really need to change the trackbar geo as it's not noticeable on a small lift.

OP
OP

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
spoke to OME ARB. They only have 3.5”. 2.5” will be next year. You reckon they’d be out in the first year the JL was out... it’s been 2 years since the release of the JL and they’re still not ready. *facepalm*
Sponsored