Sponsored

RedRock HD Tailgate Reinforcement Panel On Sale, Worth It?

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
So I ordered my JLR without the wildly expensive Mopar tailgate reinforcement. I decided after looking at a few sites that if I ever needed one I would get 1 aftermarket. I just saw this RedRock reinforcement on Extreme Terrain for $16.14 (weird price) for 81% off and figured it was probably a pretty good deal. Honestly I will stay with stock wheels/tires for a long time but thought this may be a nice early, cheap upgrade. I don't know how much extra weight it MAY hold, but from the reviews it sounds like it at least helps the tailgate not sound so hollow when it closes. Anyone else think this may be worth something? I think mine was just over $21.50 shipped.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/redrock-4x4-hd-tailgate-reinforcement-panel-2018-jl.html
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Anyone else think this may be worth something? I think mine was just over $21.50 shipped.
For the price, what could it hurt?

I have their relocation bracket and it's been well worth the cost.

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
I ordered one of these and ultimately returned it without ever taking it out of the package. I decided the stock tailgate with the Alpha HD carrier was fine for my 35 but I do plan to upgrade to a full hinged unit at some point. Not sure where I will go but Rusty's. Cavab, Motobilt are on my short list along with just getting the teraflex hinge that compliments my tire carrier or the rugged ridge one everyone got when the JLs first came out and not much else was on the market. But, at that price, I agree, doesn't hurt. Could prob resell for a profit if you don't use it.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
You don't need anything on the tailgate if you're running 35 MTs or below and aren't strapping up heavy stuff like fuel or a big metal jack off the tire or something. I've never had an issue with mine in 25k+ miles now with 35 Patagonia MTs on 17" Fifteen52 0 offset wheels, and a buddy of mine runs Raceline -38mm offset beadlocks with 35" load E KM3s and wheels the crap out of his rig with no issue on the stock tailgate either in 30k miles.

I think 37s or a heavy 35 like the Toyo MT or Nitto Trail Grappler on a beadlock would make me reinforce, though. There was a thread on here recently about someone who was talking to Jeep engineers at EJS and they said the same thing - 35s are more than fine on the tailgate as long as you're not abusing it in some weird way.

That said, for the price of the one you list it couldn't hurt! I think the $500+ price tag of the Mopar one is insane.
Sponsored