RedRock 4x4 HD Tailgate Reinforcement Panel Woes

jfarrell

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 OB JLRU, 2018 4Runner
During my install I ran into some problems with a stuck bolt on the hinge of my tailgate. Turns out I was not using the right tool for the job.... three of the bolts came off fine with a T50 but the last one just ended up stripped (See that attached image).

I tried everything I could think of until I finally went out and bought a T55 socket, I tried to fit it into the bolt head with not much luck until I finally just took a heavy hammer and knocked the every living crap out of it.

Was finally able to get it to turn loose while slowly applying pressure to my breaker bar.

I really just wanted to post the picture so if any of ya'll are running into a stripped bolt just know it can probably still be salvaged before handing her over to a stealership.

Safe wrenching everybody!

Image from iOS (1).jpg
Image from iOS (2).jpg
Sponsored

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
During my install I ran into some problems with a stuck bolt on the hinge of my tailgate. Turns out I was not using the right tool for the job.... three of the bolts came off fine with a T50 but the last one just ended up stripped (See that attached image).

I tried everything I could think of until I finally went out and bought a T55 socket, I tried to fit it into the bolt head with not much luck until I finally just took a heavy hammer and knocked the every living crap out of it.

Was finally able to get it to turn loose while slowly applying pressure to my breaker bar.

I really just wanted to post the picture so if any of ya'll are running into a stripped bolt just know it can probably still be salvaged before handing her over to a stealership.

Image from iOS (1).jpg
Image from iOS (2).jpg
How do you like the reinforcement?

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Image from iOS (1).jpg
Image from iOS (2).jpg
Tailgate hinge actually takes a T55, not T50, hammer in the bit to break the paint for a snug fit.

OP
OP
jfarrell

jfarrell

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 OB JLRU, 2018 4Runner
How do you like the reinforcement?
I like it, feels like a poor mans reinforcement though... but I just could not pull the trigger on the 600+ for the proper mopar kit.

Gets the tire off my bumper and relocates my third brake light so people can actually see it again.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've got the same thing, using it with the EAG relocation bracket from Amazon 'cause at the time I ordered it was much cheaper than the Redrock relocation bracket (no longer true last I looked).

I kinda think the Redrock stuff and EAG are the same manufacturer but don't have enough data to prove it.

Anyway I felt build quality of the Redrock reinforcement was quite good. Welds were nice, construction made sense.

I drilled and tapped it for my CB antenna bracket, too.

Immediately after install I dropped off a big ledge in Moab and caught my spare. It buckled the tg sheetmetal between the hinges a little but I'm convinced without the Redrock reinforcement stiffening things up a bit it would have been much worse.

Kinda funny, I was getting a "warble" from the sheetmetal damage until I came from the inside and knocked it out.
Sponsored