Redo of Steering TSB 08-074-20

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Maybe Jeep should form an independent, qualified commission to review these seemingly 'unfixable' cases of steering 'malfunction'...This should give a definitive conclusion to each case:

Be it the incompetence of the servicing dealer...

A vehicle where there are too many components out of tolerance (could be frame, axles or a multitude of issues) for 'normal fixes' to address.

Or maybe just a customer who has fixated on the Wrangler's steering 'issues' and has unrealistic exceptions of how a small, solid axle vehicle designed with an emphasis for off road performance should handle...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Iggy

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Maybe Jeep should form an independent, qualified commission to review these seemingly 'unfixable' cases of steering 'malfunction'...This should give a definitive conclusion to each case:

Be it the incompetence of the servicing dealer...

A vehicle where there are too many components out of tolerance (could be frame, axles or a multitude of issues) for 'normal fixes' to address.

Or maybe just a customer who has fixated on the Wrangler's steering 'issues' and has unrealistic exceptions of how a small, solid axle vehicle designed with an emphasis for off road performance should handle...
My JLU weighs 4,950 pounds. That takes it out of the ‘small’ category. My Ram 2500 had a solid front axle and there were no steering issues. A vehicle designed for off road performance is a UTV, an ATV, an off road racer, or a tank. The JL is primarily a profit center for FCA, is a DOT-compliant road vehicle, and is secondarily an off road performance vehicle. And being ‘fixated’ on steering ‘issues’ may mean someone has a deeper engineering understanding of vehicles than someone who is not aware enough to be fixated. But nice lead in to a rather blatant slam.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I totally agree with everything you say.
Fixing the steering requires a redesign, not a patch which may correct the problem that might need a patch itslef.They can fix it so it doesnt come to the surface or be noticeable for some but It is like a snowball effect. Personally i do not accept it as a JEEP THING and anyone else who says this probably should not have a voice or say in the matter.

A steering gap/play/wander is most dangerous when precise millimeter corrections are needed around a tight corner or winding road and you have that inch or two of emptiness and then SUDDENLY the Hydro Electric programmed Curve kicks in .....it takes time to adapt to such a thing under normal conditions but could be deadly when out of control.

Every piece of anything that is manufactured in this world has a purpose.
A cars purpose is to drive on a road using wheels for traction and steering for direction, key factors. If direction isn't there then the whole equation fails. Can't steer properly? No problem, let's wing it?
Hey, Boogey. Are you currently experiencing steering concerns our team can look into? I may have missed a few messages and not seen if you still needed assistance or not, but we are here to help if need be. Send our team a private message to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
If I were Jeep, I’d locate a couple or three of the JLs with this problem and borrow them from the owners. I’d tear them apart and search for the problem, study the issue, devise a solid solution, and send out a new TSB before someone gets hurt or the news media finds out about it.
I like that, would be a small price to pay ...too bad it will never happen.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
My JLU weighs 4,950 pounds. That takes it out of the ‘small’ category. My Ram 2500 had a solid front axle and there were no steering issues. A vehicle designed for off road performance is a UTV, an ATV, an off road racer, or a tank. The JL is primarily a profit center for FCA, is a DOT-compliant road vehicle, and is secondarily an off road performance vehicle. And being ‘fixated’ on steering ‘issues’ may mean someone has a deeper engineering understanding of vehicles than someone who is not aware enough to be fixated. But nice lead in to a rather blatant slam.

You were obviously triggered by the last of three possibilities I outlined in my post...Let's be perfectly honest here, there are those who buy a JL and expect it to handle similar to a BMW SUV. I do not know if you are that person or not...I simply stated three possible outcomes from a competent, independent review of JL's in which even after all TSB's are performed, customers insist they are still not properly repaired and suffer from defective or dangerous steering systems.

Sponsored

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Hey, Boogey. Are you currently experiencing steering concerns our team can look into? I may have missed a few messages and not seen if you still needed assistance or not, but we are here to help if need be. Send our team a private message to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares
All is good thanks. Still a very small gap/play 1-2 inches L to R but it is of no inconvenience at the moment. Thanks

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Well I can tell you that I have been in the industry for 30+ years and I have never seen a gear box flex on a frame like this. This is with a aftermarket brace installed also. There is no one that can tell me the amount this box flexes doesn’t contribute to the wandering and the dead spot. It’s physically impossible for it not to contribute and there isn’t anything that could be done short of redesigning yet another gear box with more supporting ribs built into.

Attachments

JeepAdventure215

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited, 2019 Ford F-150
I should have just kept my 2016 JKU, never any issues. My girlfriend doesn’t know how to drive a 6 speed, so I picked up an automatic 2019 JLU; I have never had to raise my voice at a dealership until I was condescendingly totally disregarded about the steering problems on my JLU. If you have the feeling that your steering is off, listen to your gut, you’re right, there truly are issues with some of the JLs. Don’t allow the service department to dismiss your concerns by telling you “It’s a Jeep thing”.

OP
OP
Iggy

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Well I can tell you that I have been in the industry for 30+ years and I have never seen a gear box flex on a frame like this. This is with a aftermarket brace installed also. There is no one that can tell me the amount this box flexes doesn’t contribute to the wandering and the dead spot. It’s physically impossible for it not to contribute and there isn’t anything that could be done short of redesigning yet another gear box with more supporting ribs built into.
Your video is not coming through. Thanks for the support!

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I should have just kept my 2016 JKU, never any issues. My girlfriend doesn’t know how to drive a 6 speed, so I picked up an automatic 2019 JLU; I have never had to raise my voice at a dealership until I was condescendingly totally disregarded about the steering problems on my JLU. If you have the feeling that your steering is off, listen to your gut, you’re right, there truly are issues with some of the JLs. Don’t allow the service department to dismiss your concerns by telling you “It’s a Jeep thing”.
If they took it for a test drive, check out their route and speed.

Mine at such low speed and on smooth roads that they wouldn't have spilled an over-filled open cup of coffee. Not a test drive,

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My dealership has done the iron steering box, an alignment, changed the track bar and tightened everything up. They said they did the software update, but I don't believe them. They claim there is nothing left for them to do..
Can you hear the steering pump make a high frequency sound when you move the steering wheel while it is in park? In my case, the dealer said they did the software update but they didn’t. Someone posted they heard no such sound before the software update and could hear it after the software was updated. After I got a dealer to actually update it, the dead spot went away and I could hear the sound from the steering pump. I’m guessing the software increases the voltage to the steering pump. You might need someone else to turn the steering wheel, stop, repeat while you stand with the hood up near the steering pump fluid reservoir on the passenger side.

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
This is very frustrating, after a steering box replacement and more trips back to the dealer, I got tired of messing with it and sold my Jeep.

OP
OP
Iggy

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
This is very frustrating, after a steering box replacement and more trips back to the dealer, I got tired of messing with it and sold my Jeep.
I feel for you and am close to that myself. My local dealer hates seeing show up so now I am going to try a dealer in Reno, 30 miles away. They are as friendly as rattlesnakes...

And my steering still has free play after both TSBs and several “are you sure?” repair visits. Aaarggggh!

OP
OP
Iggy

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
The wait has been long. It has been *#^ FRUSTRATING!!! *&^. But, my steering has now been fixed.

After 7 visits to my local Carson City Jeep dealer (3.5 miles away), they had replaced everything except the steering wheel and there was still 2" of play in the steering. I was encouraged by @JeepCares to try one of the other two Reno area dealers to see if they could fix the continuing problem.

I drove to Reno (60 minutes round trip) only to find I had to make an appointment 2 weeks out. Yeah, so I did. Today was my date with Jeep and low and behold, this dealership refreshed the steering computer to the newer code of 70F (like the Carson City dealer should have in the first place) and BINGO it steers fine. Well, except for about 0.5" of free play which isn't up to Japanese, German or my standards, but for an American car it's acceptable.

The moral of this story is don't give up. Even when everyone is telling you "it's a Jeep thing", or "our lot boy drove it and says it's just fine", or "there's nothing more we can do" -- keep plugging away!!

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The wait has been long. It has been *#^ FRUSTRATING!!! *&^. But, my steering has now been fixed.

After 7 visits to my local Carson City Jeep dealer (3.5 miles away), they had replaced everything except the steering wheel and there was still 2" of play in the steering. I was encouraged by @JeepCares to try one of the other two Reno area dealers to see if they could fix the continuing problem.

I drove to Reno (60 minutes round trip) only to find I had to make an appointment 2 weeks out. Yeah, so I did. Today was my date with Jeep and low and behold, this dealership refreshed the steering computer to the newer code of 70F (like the Carson City dealer should have in the first place) and BINGO it steers fine. Well, except for about 0.5" of free play which isn't up to Japanese, German or my standards, but for an American car it's acceptable.

The moral of this story is don't give up. Even when everyone is telling you "it's a Jeep thing", or "our lot boy drove it and says it's just fine", or "there's nothing more we can do" -- keep plugging away!!
In my case the Dealer's test drive was at fault. They drove such a short distance at such low speed! Yes, it was a Jeep Thing.

The dealer that change the steering gear was a delight.

I haven't been back to get them to show me the 70F Code. Should do that. We have about the same amount of play that you had before your dealer refreshed the steering computer.
Sponsored