Sponsored

Redline Tuning Hood Struts - 5 minute Bolt-In installation!

OP
OP
Redline Tuning

Redline Tuning

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
i love the CF sleeves. What part did you order and are they once size fits all?
The Carbon sleeves are specific to the length of the gas spring. The JL/JT uses the QL-180 gas springs. Please note that the carbon sleeves can only be used with our Black PLUS system as the stainless steel gas springs are a different (larger) diameter.

Jeep Wrangler JL Redline Tuning Hood Struts - 5 minute Bolt-In installation! 5NRcjBY
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

jurassic3k

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Kia Telluride SX AWD
Hello Jason,
The part number of the gas springs you have are correct for your application. After reviewing the video everything seems to be functioning correctly. The "bump" you are are hearing is where the gas spring is transitioning from the nitrogen gas to the oil inside the piston. This is what slows the gas spring down for the last inches of extension.
Regards,
Andreas
Good to know....why does everyone else describe a smooth rise with no banging noise 3/4 of the way up? Is it because I spent the extra money on the elite model and got one that's too strong for the hood? After looking again, the front of my hood is pushed up on both sides due to the pressure of the prop rods. Is this normal?

OP
OP
Redline Tuning

Redline Tuning

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Good to know....why does everyone else describe a smooth rise with no banging noise 3/4 of the way up?
Not exactly sure. If you watch the extension of the gas spring it will extend quickly and then slow down for the last few inches of travel. Is there something that is loose on or in the hood? When the hood is all the way open and you gently move the hood up and down, do you hear the same noise?

jurassic3k

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Kia Telluride SX AWD
Not exactly sure. If you watch the extension of the gas spring it will extend quickly and then slow down for the last few inches of travel. Is there something that is loose on or in the hood? When the hood is all the way open and you gently move the hood up and down, do you hear the same noise?
No noise from the hood when shaking it. It's coming from the strut. The jeep has 700 miles. The first bang happens when it's 3/4 of the way up...almost like it reached the end of the spring. Then it travels the last bit before making a clicking noise at the end. Hard to tell in the video but the hood actually jerks back almost an inch from the first bang.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Redline Tuning

Redline Tuning

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
No noise from the hood when shaking it. It's coming from the strut. The jeep has 700 miles. The first bang happens when it's 3/4 of the way up...almost like it reached the end of the spring. Then it travels the last bit before making a clicking noise at the end. Hard to tell in the video but the hood actually jerks back almost an inch from the first bang.
I don't think it is the gas spring, but you can verify if by removing each one and compressing it by hand on a piece of carpet as shown below.

942b7AD.jpg

Double check your hood brackets to make sure the bolts are properly tightened.

7WcpJqa.jpg

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
My struts are on the way and I am looking forward to installing them.

That prop rod doesn't have much time left in this world... ;)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i love the CF sleeves. What part did you order and are they once size fits all?
@Chile1

I received and installed the Carbon sleeves for the @Redline Tuning, struts....... Real nice. Install took about 4 mins. on each side....

Jeep Wrangler JL Redline Tuning Hood Struts - 5 minute Bolt-In installation! ccc.JPG

Sponsored

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Installed hood struts yesterday and like them a lot. While the installation instructions were straightforward and installation was easy, if you can do it in 10 minutes get it recorded on Guinness World Records.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed hood struts yesterday and like them a lot. While the installation instructions were straightforward and installation was easy, if you can do it in 10 minutes get it recorded on Guinness World Records.
@Nomad

I could do the install in 10 min. if I was say being timed... wanted to get it done in 10 min.. That's having installed a set already .. and know the drill so to speak.

Now a millennial.... well, they would probably take 45 min. even if they had done the install before... 8-)