First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Anyone interested in hitting up one of these locations? The in laws will be in that week and want to watch the kids for a day. I am flexible for any time that week or the week prior.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Update: I have 6 so far.

I should be ready by then. The 5th, 6th, 8th, or 9th looks like it works for us.

I’ve never been to the Redbird or Badlands. I’ve been on a few easy trails at Interlake which is larger than Redbird. It was a great experience for my skill level. Not sure about Badlands’ size but it looks fun there too. I hear there’s lots of mud at Redbird that I’m not a fan of. Hard on parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XJfanatic

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@DadJokes Not a huge mud guy myself, if it’s part of a trail system I can live with it though. But haven’t been to any of these places. Heard redbird gets sloppy if there is any rain. Not looking for anything too crazy This would be the wife’s first trip out. I am in Indy so pretty central to all of them. If you have a preference let me know.

I think 5 or 6th would probably be best for us.

Last edited:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
@DadJokes Not a huge mud guy myself, if it’s part of a trail system I can live with it though. But haven’t been to any of these places. Heard redbird gets sloppy if there is any rain. Not looking for anything too crazy This would be the wife’s first trip out. I am in Indy so pretty central to all of them. If you have a preference let me know.

I think 5 or 6th would probably be best for us.
Yep. I’m ok with some mud if it’s part of a trail but not all of it.

I’m good with either of those days. Let’s see if we can get more interest because I’m short on experience but now loaded with recovery gear. I might post on Overland Bound to see if there’s any interest there with those days.

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I thought their was another thread on this... I can make it out on the 5th but not the 6th.

I'll keep an eye out here, I have a winch and some recovery gear as well.

No experience though, haha

Sponsored

OP
OP
XJfanatic

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yep. I’m ok with some mud if it’s part of a trail but not all of it.

I’m good with either of those days. Let’s see if we can get more interest because I’m short on experience but now loaded with recovery gear. I might post on Overland Bound to see if there’s any interest there with those days.
Sounds good. I am pretty good on the experience part. I have been wheeling since I got my first Jeep when I was 16.

I thought their was another thread on this... I can make it out on the 5th but not the 6th.

I'll keep an eye out here, I have a winch and some recovery gear as well.

No experience though, haha
Made one over here to try and get regional section involved.

Let’s plan for the 5th. Any preference on location?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have wheeled Redbird and the Badlands. Redbird is okay, and it has badge trails. With that said, if it has rained at all with a week or two, the mud will be everywhere and deep.

The Badlands to me is more fun. I like the trails better, there is mud, but you can avoid it and most of them have a bottom. Redbird, make sure you bring your winch controller with you.

Redbird with mud... Just be prepared.
Jeep Wrangler JL Redbird, Interlake or Badlands July 5 1624015923740

Jeep Wrangler JL Redbird, Interlake or Badlands July 5 1624016044701

OP
OP
XJfanatic

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have wheeled Redbird and the Badlands. Redbird is okay, and it has badge trails. With that said, if it has rained at all with a week or two, the mud will be everywhere and deep.

The Badlands to me is more fun. I like the trails better, there is mud, but you can avoid it and most of them have a bottom. Redbird, make sure you bring your winch controller with you.

Redbird with mud... Just be prepared.

That looks like fun for about two minutes. Ok so leaning towards badlands or Interlake. It is supposed to rain off and on the next few weeks. Interlake is probably a much shorter drive for @DadJokes than badlands would be.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That looks like fun for about two minutes. Ok so leaning towards badlands or Interlake. It is supposed to rain off and on the next few weeks. Interlake is probably a much shorter drive for @DadJokes than badlands would be.
Here is Interlake. https://indnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...S7PHt9mp5Ilj7fHC2po8AgfVMwWtu9EMd6K8ki1E4sBfI

If there’s considerable rain in the forecast for the next couple of weeks, it would be great to have an idea of which would have the least mud/sliding around. I have a big 3 week trip at the end of July and need to balance experience gained vs damage risk. I only saw about 3 hours of easy going track in Oct 19. It wasn’t very wet but not dusty dry either. There was one spot of standing water up to the hubs the way we went which were green trails as I was stock and running it with a near stock Tacoma. Temps and how fast water burns the might help with how much water ends up standing in places.

Last edited:

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Following this thread, as I've been thinking about going to the badlands. At the last minute, I cancelled and figured it probably would be better to go with a more knowledgeable group than myself with zero experience. :)

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Following as well. We have tentative plans on the 5th, but if they end up not happening and the weather isn't too bad, I'd like to give it a go.

OP
OP
XJfanatic

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I say we plan for Interlake it’s less muddy from what I have heard of badlands and redbird. It’s also probably a pretty fair drive for everyone. It’s 2 hrs 45 minutes from southern Indy.

ScenicRoute

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Beer Finisher
Ive never had more mud than Redbird. Was in a JKR and it was fun, but damn what a mess.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’d like to know how well these new Baja Boss AT’s work in some mud but not mud bogging. lol