Red Line and the 2.0 in my Rubi

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
I have a 2018 2 dr Wrangler rubi with the 2.0. I do love this combination. I am getting overall >20 mpg on the main economy screen. This averages since start of the vehicle. I do NOT have a gentle foot which brings me to subject of my thread.

Has anybody noticed that with the eight speed transmission, if you peg the throttle and keep it there you can "bust" the 6500 rpm warning zone and find yourself in a red line event? I had assumed that the transmission or some smart chip would throw in a limiter, but, in my jeep that does NOT appear to be so. When the tach says you are in the "hot zone" (~7000 +/-)" the engine behaves like it is red lined. Valves float, Valve timing goes out, rattles and blue smoke appear. All scary stuff if you do not expect it (also not good for the engine).

Anybody else find that you can accidentally red line a 2.0L Turbo in the Wrangler Rubi with the 8 speed?

v/r rch
Sponsored

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have a 2018 2 dr Wrangler rubi with the 2.0. I do love this combination. I am getting overall >20 mpg on the main economy screen. This averages since start of the vehicle. I do NOT have a gentle foot which brings me to subject of my thread.

Has anybody noticed that with the eight speed transmission, if you peg the throttle and keep it there you can "bust" the 6500 rpm warning and find yourself in red line? I had assumed that the transmission or some smart chip would throw in a limiter, but, in my jeep that does NOT appear to be so. When the tach says you are in the "hot zone" the engine behaves like a red line engine. Valves float, Valve timing goes out, rattles and blue smoke appear. All scary stuff if you do not expect it (also not good for the engine).

Anybody else find that you can accidentally red line a 2.0L Turbo in the Wrangler Rubi with the 8 speed?

v/r rch
Mine actually shifts a few hundred RPM under redline, almost every time. It will only over-rev if you hold the transmission in a specific gear.

I'm not really concerned about over-revving the 2.0 though... but my perception is probably skewed since my other inline 4 vehicle regularly sees 8600 RPM. FWIW: I believe the Alfa Romeo version of this motor is slightly higher revving, and I believe the bottom ends of the motors are the same.

OP
OP

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got though it with no apparent damage, but, I did have a full valve timing event with heavy valve chatter, blue smoke out the exhaust and loss of power until I backed off the throttle. Unexpected. I had the accelerator pegged from a standing start trying to get out of the way of an 18 wheeler out of control and skidding toward my stopped vehical. If I had sat there for another 20 seconds, I would have been road kill. As it was, he chased me down the road for 100 yards or so till he got stopped. Wet road, Down hill slope from a blind hill to to the stop sign. I won the race by maybe 100 feet at the tightest point.

I did break traction several times and was feathering the throttle to keep max accel and traction. Didn't look at the tac or speedometer till I had the blue smoke. By then I had just confirmed I was clear. I was watching the rear view mirror.

My Rubi will let me go past the 6500. Maybe I ought to gen my tranny flashed.

Reactions: J0E

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
My 2.0 in manual will cut power around 5.5k telling me to shift, and in auto it will shift around 5.5k all the time. It’s never even gotten to 6k.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am going to turn it in to the dealer and let them find what's up. Still has a lot of warranty. I am not seeing any check engine lights or anything.

OP
OP

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I will hand this to the dealer for sure
Sponsored