Red dash looks killer with doors off

AdHerp

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jk -> 2018 JL
Oh wow I didn’t realize it folds into it. I will say the doors are sooooo much lighter!
Phew! I’m with you, I don’t want to have to unscrew the tensioner all the time so you scared me a bit when I read it wouldn’t stay up in the door. Hopefully it works without scratching.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stuweeks

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Oh wow I didn’t realize it folds into it. I will say the doors are sooooo much lighter!
I actually don’t think it folds into the door. Not sure what that guy in the video is referring to. There’s no mention in the manual that the door check can tuck into the door. It only moves horizontally. Here’s a pic with it unbolted. Not sure
AD8D7F85-7DE5-405A-83AE-0431A45D70BA.jpeg

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
seems like you would need to push it in. it has detents to keep the door from swinging all the way open.

where do you think it goes when you shut the door? That part goes into the door.

AdHerp

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jk -> 2018 JL
I actually don’t think it folds into the door. Not sure what that guy in the video is referring to. There’s no mention in the manual that the door check can tuck into the door. It only moves horizontally. Here’s a pic with it unbolted. Not sure
AD8D7F85-7DE5-405A-83AE-0431A45D70BA.jpeg
Oh yeah, look at that. Good picture but discouraging.

OP
OP
Stuweeks

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
seems like you would need to push it in. it has detents to keep the door from swinging all the way open.

where do you think it goes when you shut the door? That part goes into the door.
Just tried to push it into the door, doesn’t budge.

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to guess because it is already off, you have no leverage to push it in, I am sure it is hard but if you were to close your door with it on the hinge it should go into the door. I believe if you plan to leave this disconnected you will no longer have the detent (stop) in the door when you open it. You will only have the strap stopping the door.

if you plan to hook that piece up every time you re-install the door its best to leave it out when you take the door off otherwise it may be harder to pull out and bolt it back up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stuweeks

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am going to guess because it is already off, you have no leverage to push it in, I am sure it is hard but if you were to close your door with it on the hinge it should go into the door. I believe if you plane to leave this disconnected you will no longer have the detent (stop) in the door when you open it. You will only have the strap stopping the door.
Maybe if I left it unbolted then shut the door, but that would likely scratch the inner door. It sure doesn’t seem very user friendly if it was meant to do this.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
OP
OP
Stuweeks

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
There was a post on this forum the just other day where a JL owner was saying he took doors off and one door "check strap" went into the door and he was not able to get it / pull it back out. He came to forum asking for help and said he was going to the dealer for a fix.

Thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/first-jl-problem-door-limiting-bolt.4057/#post-77988
I probably won’t mess with it.

The red dash does a cool color change depending on the time of day and if you have the top off.

Sponsored

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Li'l Cooper; Subee, CR-V
Got up to 78 degrees in Nashville today. Perfect weather to take the doors off for the first time. There is an extra step to unscrew the bolt that allows the door to hinge. Kinda sucks because I usually left the doors unscrewed all summer for quick access. Doesn’t look like you can do that with the new door stop hinge.
4E214AD8-533A-44EE-8F68-2581C4D0DDDE.jpeg
Looks great w/ doors off. Can.Not.Wait.

AdHerp

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jk -> 2018 JL
I probably won’t mess with it.

The red dash does a cool color change depending on the time of day and if you have the top off.
It does look great by the way! I have a blue Rubicon on order so I’m not sure it will look as good as the black and other gray exterior colors but I’m still pretty excited to see it!

Sloxkhart98

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangjer JL Rubicon
Got up to 78 degrees in Nashville today. Perfect weather to take the doors off for the first time. There is an extra step to unscrew the bolt that allows the door to hinge. Kinda sucks because I usually left the doors unscrewed all summer for quick access. Doesn’t look like you can do that with the new door stop hinge.
4E214AD8-533A-44EE-8F68-2581C4D0DDDE.jpeg
Would you stop hogging all the good weather and send some to Georgia :). This non stop rain is driving me crazy and I want to at least take the top off LOL. This is what my driving has looked like for the past 3 weeks

868494E8-E1AD-4539-8FA9-D3C1D7883191.jpeg

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
It was a great day in North AL with the top down !
Sponsored