Red and black terminal wires to fuse box

JoyfulTrees

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I have the BC1 bluetooth controller to control the color LED lights on my headlights. Right now, I have the black and red terminal wires connected straight to my battery terminals.

Jeep Wrangler JL Red and black terminal wires to fuse box Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 8.35.13 PM

What I was wondering is if it is safe for my battery to be connected this way. I'm afraid the battery might slowly drain this way. Would it be smarter to connect the black wire to a ground point, and connect the red wire into my fusebox?
Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Your concern is valid. Being hooked up directly to the battery, there is no mechanism for "shutoff", so those lights can be turned on, even when the Jeep is off. There is a possibility for a slow-draw drain....although, might be unlikely, but still there.

A better option would be to either tap a fuse (understanding the draw that those LEDs may pull). That might not be much, but you'll have to understand that, so that you can do the math for the fuse that you're tapping. Another alternative is that you tap an ignition wire and make your own "harness" with a relay that will help with both ignition power and a switch that you would wire in. Last option would be to use AUX group (if you had it) or another type of switch panel.