First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’d rather see someone stack a few rocks and move on, rather than watch while they proudly unspool their new winch then try to figure it out. All just because they spun a wheel.
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I’d rather see someone stack a few rocks and move on, rather than watch while they proudly unspool their new winch then try to figure it out. All just because they spun a wheel.
I can understand that Joe. This is becoming a problem with inexperienced trail users. You have large groups of them with no one that has a clue to trail etiquette.

I would much rather they stay off the trail if they have to stack rocks to navigate. How about getting out and picking a good line or pull out a traction board to get through a hard section. The amount of destruction to our trail systems over the last decade or so is sickening.

There are a whole new breed of drivers out there who don't have a clue other than mashing down on the go pedal. I see these YouTube sensations that are taking vehicles that have no business on the trail and tearing it up.

You got Subarus and Honda Passports navigating Mengel Pass leaving a trail of broken parts and trash behind. Not good!!

How many times did they pull out traction boards here? I wanted to puke when I saw this video. 20 years ago these spots filled in with rocks were actual obstacles that even Jeeps had to navigate carefully. Now it's a damn freeway!! It looks like a bottom dump came through and filled in everything with rocks!!

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Get a winch if you're concerned. I'm assuming you already have a jerk strap.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I get it. YouTube has ruined a lot of things. But, by getting people involved it is also saving things in a weird way. Like any craze, it creates awareness and helps perpetuate the lifestyle. High demand for Jeeps means more and better Jeeps, more competition in the market, more aftermarket and more and better used Jeeps. All when it was beginning to look like the sun was setting on four wheeling and that those damn side by sides were going to take over.

There will be many who try the trails, then never come back. Then there will be those who learn, bring their kids and create the memories that perpetuate the sport. New people need to experience and perpetuate it so that the government won't shut down all of the trails.

I remember years ago when my dad and I would go fishing in the salt water bays here in Texas. When I got older, I wanted and got my own boat. Then a flurry of saltwater fishing shows hit the weekend morning TV (pre YouTube). All of the sudden, there were boats everywhere with people who knew nothing about how to operate them. There were guys at the ramp with no clue how to back, launch or recover their boats. It was frustrating. Then the big gas crunch hit in the mid/late 00s. Boat sales plummeted and the boat ramps and water were much more accessible. The result was better ramps, docks, boats, boating equipment and tackle.

When I see these bloated, overloaded, overland equipped Jeeps and 4runners out and about, I know too that this craze will pass. $5 gas will likely do it. It's frustrating, but sad to see a guy on the beach or trail with a top heavy vehicle that is festooned with every available accessory constantly struggling as they watch me in a nearly stock Jeep amble by with ease. I will always offer to help, but with my help comes advice. If they don't want my advice then I figure they don't want my help either, as they are interrelated.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm one of those that doesn't want stuff mounted on the outside. Plus with a soft top only, and frequently open, there's not many options to mount anyway.

So I have the GoTreads. Easy to throw in the back. And when muddy, they fit back in the bag.
Haven't really used them in a true "stuck" situation yet. Just played around in the desert by my house. They work well. I'm hoping they will hold up and last a while.

You lose the ability to bridge stuff, and other things the hard trax can do of course.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Everyone ruins everything I like!! Get off my lawn! 😭 :CWL:

Recovery tracks beat using branches under tires to gain traction when there is no one or a sturdy tree around to winch off of.
Sponsored

Reactions: GtX