Recovery Tracks - when to use/prioritize

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I'm mostly going to be on Forest Roads, beaches (OBX, etc.) and some light off roading. Think East Coast with mud, sand, some rocks in the mountains, etc. I have a JLUR, so it's fairly capable to begin with, and I will typically be with a group, but occasionally I know I'm going to be off by myself some. So....what's I'm thinking most of the issues I may have will deal with mud/sand. I have a few basic items:

First Aid Kit
Collapsible Shovel
Tools/Gloves - Bartact Molle bags come in handy
Maps
Zip Ties/Duct Tape, ha
Tow Rope

I'm thinking that recovery boards would be useful. I used to 4x4 a decent bit, but that was in a '89 XJ that I had $2k in all together, a bit different with it being my daily driver. What would everyone suggest, I was looking at GoTreads for portability, or just stepping up and getting Maxtrax, etc. Room could be an issue on trips as I will be bringing hiking, surfing, camping gear on a lot of trips.

Again, I'm doing fairly infrequent 4x4 in mostly sand, dirt, mud, easy to moderate trails.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
If you're going to get traction boards I would recommend MaxTrax. I watched a video from Australia on different traction boards and as I remember the MaxTrax outperformed all the others. Some of the no-name brands crack in half or had numerous spike break off after a few uses.

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
If you're going to get traction boards I would recommend MaxTrax. I watched a video from Australia on different traction boards and as I remember the MaxTrax outperformed all the others. Some of the no-name brands crack in half or had numerous spike break off after a few uses.
I saw the same.

JeepKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys, previous 80 CJ5
Occupation
retired, rewired
I'm mostly going to be on Forest Roads, beaches (OBX, etc.) and some light off roading. Think East Coast with mud, sand, some rocks in the mountains, etc. I have a JLUR, so it's fairly capable to begin with, and I will typically be with a group, but occasionally I know I'm going to be off by myself some. So....what's I'm thinking most of the issues I may have will deal with mud/sand. I have a few basic items:

First Aid Kit
Collapsible Shovel
Tools/Gloves - Bartact Molle bags come in handy
Maps
Zip Ties/Duct Tape, ha
Tow Rope

I'm thinking that recovery boards would be useful. I used to 4x4 a decent bit, but that was in a '89 XJ that I had $2k in all together, a bit different with it being my daily driver. What would everyone suggest, I was looking at GoTreads for portability, or just stepping up and getting Maxtrax, etc. Room could be an issue on trips as I will be bringing hiking, surfing, camping gear on a lot of trips.

Again, I'm doing fairly infrequent 4x4 in mostly sand, dirt, mud, easy to moderate trails.
I’ll be wondering the same soon, if my Jeep on order ever gets delivered. Probably wheelin same mostly here in Maryland. Been getting ads for Rhino version of recovery boards and wondering if they’re a good make do alternative? Springing for Maxtrax under consideration though, thanks

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I watched a Youtube review of probably half-dozen brands. Nothing performed much different than anything else.

If you wheel by yourself, they may be helpful, but they aren't that great once they get wet or muddy. They get somewhat slick, even with the pointy nips.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I think the traction devices are really really slick!! The days of using your tailgate and motorcycle ramps are pretty much over.

There are a bunch of uses for them: Level your vehicle for camping, use them as a shovel for snow and loose sand, bridge across ruts/drop offs, recovering in deep sand, and much more.

What disturbs me the most are people that rock stack. I have never once in my life stooped so low as to ruin a trail by dumbing it down. I see more and more these lazy boneheads stacking rocks instead of turning back because they are driving over their head.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
What disturbs me the most are people that rock stack. I have never once in my life stooped so low as to ruin a trail by dumbing it down. I see more and more these lazy boneheads stacking rocks instead of turning back because they are driving over their head.
I bet that those cretins also yell out "driver!" and "passenger!" when spotting. :facepalm:

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I bet that those cretins also yell out "driver!" and "passenger!" when spotting. :facepalm:
Johnny, Don't even get me started on that trend!! It's a YouTube thing that has spread like wildfire. Between that and the rock stacking it just goes to show what kind of goofballs are out on the trails.

I'll give you an example of how bad it has become. My Avatar is the first hard section going up Gold Mountain in Big Bear. That used to be a very difficult trail for both motorcycles and Jeeps.

20 years ago you would be hard pressed to get all the way up without lockers or an occasional pull. Now there are 2wds can make it all the way to the top with very little drama. Jerkoff animals have destroyed most of it with pics/shovels and filling in all the hard sections with rocks. John Bull same thing. Even 1N38 has become a cakewalk from overuse and "filled in" sections.

I really like the traction boards. With a Jeep Wrangler you would be virtually unstoppable!!

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Do you have a winch? Even on good forest service roads in the east a winch can move a down tree or self recover. I also keep a small chainsaw.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
What would everyone suggest, I was looking at GoTreads for portability, or just stepping up and getting Maxtrax, etc. Room could be an issue on trips as I will be bringing hiking, surfing, camping gear on a lot of trips.

If fairly infrequent those GT should be ok. If all the time go MT. We have SB ramps and use them for snow and they work fine. Would def have something vs nothing. With F+R locked and ramps it often can save a tow. We keep a full length shovel and full length hoe in our Skybox - plus store our tracks up there all year round. Makes snow clearing super fast and easy. As well we always have full chains and a kinetic inside the Jeep. So far have not been stuck - but have needed these aids. More so helping others get unstuck.

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Do you have a winch? Even on good forest service roads in the east a winch can move a down tree or self recover. I also keep a small chainsaw.
I don't, that's the debate, I've never used one regularly - so there's that. There's a pretty big gap between just bs'ing in my teens/early 20's to being 40 and having a vehicle (my 4th overall, 3rd Jeep) and trying to not destroy it. I'll add that I have first aid and a few other items in the mix.

Basically, I was looking at recovery boards as something I can throw in when going on surf/hiking/4x4 trips and get out of mud/sand. That's going to be the bulk of what I'm in more than likely.

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Also - after looking at the GoTreads a bit more, I don't think that's going to be as useful as a dedicated board like the MT or if I want to go cheaper, X-Bull. So......now it's just debating how much to spend.
Sponsored