Sponsored

Recoveries of Smaller Vehicles

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
All of my encounters were around the suburbs of Denver. Now that I got smarter, I try never to go near that place. I will drive to salt lake before heading to Denver. But it is the closest airport. So I keep my eyes forward and pray for a safe a fast trip in and out of that town.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I believe your liability auto insurance would defend you, but it’s crazy you have to think that way.

Definitely never take money, not only against Jeep code, but would look really bad in court.

If I didn’t know what I was doing, I wouldn’t try it. Bad things happen with that kind of weight and power.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I believe your liability auto insurance would defend you, but it’s crazy you have to think that way.

Definitely never take money, not only against Jeep code, but would look really bad in court.

If I didn’t know what I was doing, I wouldn’t try it. Bad things happen with that kind of weight and power.
That is what I tell myself. I don’t know what I am doing:angel:. Please ignore all the recovery gear I have.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I have writing one of these on my long-term to do list that I never seem to get to. Main reason being that if someone's car gets damaged, even if they agree not to pursue anything against you, they might go home and decide to claim on their own insurance. Their insurance company can -- against that person's will -- then file a claim with your insurance via subrogation. If you had a written waiver from the person in the first place, it would kill the subrogation rights.
Ok, so after languishing on the to-do list for a while, this post got me to actually complete writing one. This is an example of what I will consider using. It's customized for me and only waives property damage claims (I generally don't like waivers of personal injury claims because if someone does something monumentally stupid like yank from a ball or drop hitch and kills someone, they shouldn't be shielded from liability).

Obviously you would want your lawyer to draft any waiver you might use, not take one from an anonymous dude on a forum. It is probably not suitable for others and state laws vary on what's required for an effective waiver of future claims. But it's an example of the rough form that such a waiver might look like, just as a jumping off point for further discussion.

Attachments

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Some of y'all worry way too much. The last person I pulled out was so grateful he said that he didn't know what to say. I said, “just say thank you”. I gathered up my straps and drove away.

My wife couldn’t believe how many people with 4 wheel drive just passed by before we got there, you could see them for over a mile down the beach. A family of 5 in a mini van with a baby. Said they’d been there for 3 hours. Some wanted money they didn’t have, most refused. Took me about 10 minutes to get them out, having the men dig sand out from around the wheels. They were absolutely clueless.

California plates on a Texas beach didn’t do them any favors either. I remember reading an article decades ago in either 4 Wheeler or Four Wheel Drive and Off Road. The author said they always take a set of local plates when on the trail out of state so that they wouldn’t be refused help. Assholes back then as well as today.

I will say this. If you don’t have recovery experience or the right equipment don’t try to do the recovery, but do offer help. Many times the vehicle can actually be driven out, but the owner/driver doesn’t have the skill. And when one stops to help, that draws more.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
You are never wrong if you are doing the Right thing. Important to remember though that you need to recognize both your and your equipments limitations. Sometimes the right thing may be helping them get in touch with a tow company. Trucks and Jeeps are one thing. Passenger cars are a whole other kettle of fish.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I've printed a few dozen copies of this with my information in the blank's for the time being. I don't know if it will hold water in court if it ever came to that, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Attachments

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

You're limiting your role and service to pulling a tow rope. That's it. What the owner chooses to attach it to is their choice and responsibility.
Sounds a bit like Alec Baldwin defense. 'I shot her but I didn't pull the trigger and I don't know how a bullet got in there'.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Some of y'all worry way too much. The last person I pulled out was so grateful he said that he didn't know what to say. I said, “just say thank you”. I gathered up my straps and drove away.

My wife couldn’t believe how many people with 4 wheel drive just passed by before we got there, you could see them for over a mile down the beach. A family of 5 in a mini van with a baby. Said they’d been there for 3 hours. Some wanted money they didn’t have, most refused. Took me about 10 minutes to get them out, having the men dig sand out from around the wheels. They were absolutely clueless.

California plates on a Texas beach didn’t do them any favors either. I remember reading an article decades ago in either 4 Wheeler or Four Wheel Drive and Off Road. The author said they always take a set of local plates when on the trail out of state so that they wouldn’t be refused help. Assholes back then as well as today.

I will say this. If you don’t have recovery experience or the right equipment don’t try to do the recovery, but do offer help. Many times the vehicle can actually be driven out, but the owner/driver doesn’t have the skill. And when one stops to help, that draws more.
Many times the vehicle can actually be driven out, but the owner/driver doesn’t have the skill. And when one stops to help, that draws more.
I did 30 years of mostly deep snow recovery in MT, UT, WA. At least 1/3rd of the mall crawlers I was able to recovery by rocking. Rocking is much more productive on a 4 WD than 2 WD, although I did a few 2 WD rock outs.
Sponsored