First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, Black, Freedom Top, 3.6L, Auto, steel bumper,
Occupation
Musician / Personal Trainer
Hey guys and gals! I mounted a dash cam on my front window and now would like to add one to my back window. Before I purchase another camera I was wondering if there is any way to tap in to my factory mounted reverse camera and just record from there? Thanks!

Also... has anyone done a hard wire? I’d like my camera to stay on in “parking mode” and I’d like to not have to use my USB ports for that. Just wondering how you tapped in with those micro fuses. Thanks!
Sponsored

Sunin-Retired

First Name
Sunin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Rubi on order, 2013 Prius c, 1999 10th Anniversary Miata
I was just going to intall a mount on the roll bar and call it good for the rear. I know what you are saying, but I’d rather have my dashcam separate as technology advances

OP
OP
Drummer_G

Drummer_G

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Great point about the technology! I appreciate the response. So glad I mounted the dash cam... people are horrible drivers!

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
What type of cam did you get? How much are they? Easy to install? And lastly, can you easily remove it in case you are the one that made a mistake and dont want evidence? HAHAHAHAHA

OP
OP
Drummer_G

Drummer_G

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I did a lot of reviews and this is the best value by far. I got the Viofo A119 for $89.00 on Amazon. I also purchased the GPS mount (highly recommended) for an extra $20. They are simple to install as I just ran my power in the window liner and around to the power supply to the right of the steering wheel. I’m still going to hardwire it so the “parking mode” feature works with motion detection while the Jeep is off but just haven’t had time). And as far as “evidence” goes... it's yours to use or not!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Drummer_G

Drummer_G

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Also... I’m buying the exact same camera for the back window/roll bar.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I did a lot of reviews and this is the best value by far. I got the Viofo A119 for $89.00 on Amazon. I also purchased the GPS mount (highly recommended) for an extra $20. They are simple to install as I just ran my power in the window liner and around to the power supply to the right of the steering wheel. I’m still going to hardwire it so the “parking mode” feature works with motion detection while the Jeep is off but just haven’t had time). And as far as “evidence” goes... it's yours to use or not!
This one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IEQUAB...&pd_rd_r=9245c288-ad34-11e8-a16e-f165ee31ead5

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
And by this one, I am asking whether the includes GPS part is the extra $20 piece your mentioned...

OP
OP
Drummer_G

Drummer_G

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Update: the camera is $79.95 on Amazon and the GPS mount is $12.99!! Super cheap for what this does!

OP
OP
Drummer_G

Drummer_G

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You’ll also want to get the Polarizing CPL lens cover. It helps with glare. I also purchased a really good SD card from BestBuy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Drummer_G

Drummer_G

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You can buy the set or individually.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Magellan Mi-Vue - it came with a backup cam and appropriate cables. It has GPS, speed cam data, and I have had no problems. I believe the backup cam included is actually an Alpine model. I'm not sure if they are still available, I bought it 3 years ago. I have not needed it for accidents, but I have "keeper" videos of some pretty idiotic drivers performing at their best. Unbelievable. Playing back the video is entertaining. One time I got stopped for doing 62 in a 40. Dash cam told the real story...44 in a 40. Vehicle in front of me was speeding. Don't know why I was stopped... LEO only gave me warning, so I shrugged my soldiers: "thank you officer have a nice day." Didn't need to bother with the video - but I saved! At any rate, this was in my prior vehicle and I moved it to my JLUS. I installed at the same time I installed Mopar trailer harness. So I had all the trim on pass side removed. I attached to AUX 1 and set to battery to use park feature on cam. Rear cam is mounted high on rear gate glass, cam came with a glass mount/3M adhesive. I ran cable behind rear gate gasket and then followed wiring harness up to front of Jeep, behind A-pillar trim, and under uppder windshield trim to mounting point on windshield. All neatly tucked away. I'll need a different option for soft top. Probably on roll bar. I did not install my soft-top this year, as I just got the JL and have been on travel. Next year....

Snowshoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 5.2 / 2018 JL 3.6
Hey guys and gals! I mounted a dash cam on my front window and now would like to add one to my back window. Before I purchase another camera I was wondering if there is any way to tap in to my factory mounted reverse camera and just record from there? Thanks!

Also... has anyone done a hard wire? I’d like my camera to stay on in “parking mode” and I’d like to not have to use my USB ports for that. Just wondering how you tapped in with those micro fuses. Thanks!
If you have the factory installed aux switches, it's pretty easy. There are wires under the passenger side glove box. If you don't have aux switches, use wires for the power mirror. Some members used those to tap dashcam/radar detector.
I don't have aux switch/power mirror, so used wires for the garage opener (Homelink) but parking mode only stays on for 10 minutes.
I might run wires through the firewall to the fuse box or find constant hot wire in the cabin.

OP
OP
Drummer_G

Drummer_G

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey guys and gals!! Happy accident! I just installed my rear window cam and plugged it into the “cigarette lighter” outlet on the drivers side, near the tailgate. It is a constant power source and the Jeep does not need to be on for the continuous current. Now my “parking mode” works and I don’t have to cut or splice a single wire! I’m going to buy a long USB to also run my front camera to it using a double port. I love not having to cut wires!!

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager