Record February sales by Wrangler

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL base sport
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the online builder a firm quote? Or is just a configuration device to help buyers decide the options/price range they want? If so, do you still have to place an actual order through an authorized Jeep dealer? And do they have to honor the on-line build quote? Also, I'm not sure the dealer has an obligation to price at invoice; why can't they charge MSRP? Or add add'l dealer charges?

I guess I'm not getting the presumption that there's any kind of legal obligation to sell at a price range being quoted by the configurator. Or, is there some small print that says if you click 'agree', you get the price?

Lastly, this whole discussion is about custom orders. If you walk into the lot and are looking at a standard dealer allotment, that's when any professional salesperson's blood begins to flow. The art of their game is to jack as much $ over MSRP as possible. They've got enough people like us to cut into their margins - they need fresh kill to burnish their sales numbers.
The closest dealer to me has them priced $3,000 over msrp. They call it market price. I drove 30 minutes away and bought three base jls below invoice. Market forces at work
Sponsored

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I browsed through the article. Does it specify if these numbers are referring to JL sales? Or JK and JL sales? Or just JK? I'd be curious to know the breakdown...I assume the majority is from JK sales. April 7th or so JK production stops, right?
I assumed it's a mix of all models. However, if you project that all pre-existing models were flat, or experienced a modest year-to-year or month-to-month increase, that leaves the JL sales as the "booster". Additionally, are the sales numbers being reported just units moved, or sales $dollars. Because if it's dollars, the JL can also be adding to the bottom line.

The people hanging on this board are a tiny % of the buying public. Not everyone is checking every last item and searching for the best price. A ton of sales are leases, either personal or business. But that 3 year ownership mentality serves to reduce the drive for the best deal in favor of just getting the Jeep in the first place and driving off the lot that same day.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the online builder a firm quote? Or is just a configuration device to help buyers decide the options/price range they want? If so, do you still have to place an actual order through an authorized Jeep dealer? And do they have to honor the on-line build quote? Also, I'm not sure the dealer has an obligation to price at invoice; why can't they charge MSRP? Or add add'l dealer charges?
The online builder is more of a suggestion of what to expect. The pricing may not reflect the most current information and the options and color combinations it presents may not be accurate either.

The only way to know for sure is to walk into your dealership. That's what we Canadians have been doing since our online configurator came online a few days ago!

Either way, the online configurator will only list MSRP. I don't see why anyone would actually pay that.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
So in a matter of a few hours, FCA discussed AND fully implemented a price increase system wide over a tariff increase mentioned off the cuff, with no idea when that tariff might occur and if it will even be enacted at the level suggested or frankly at all?

:cwl:
They’ve know for awhile that the tariff could be implemented...not out of the realm of reality..multiple reasons of a price increase.. moving production from Mexico to the US which is reported to create 2K jobs in the Michigan and Ohio plants costing $1B..I’m just saying the tariff is a factor, the public finds out via the news 2 weeks ago yet it’s been discussed for a while now.

OP
OP
digitalbliss

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

I guess I'm not getting the presumption that there's any kind of legal obligation to sell at a price range being quoted by the configurator. Or, is there some small print that says if you click 'agree', you get the price?

Lastly, this whole discussion is about custom orders. If you walk into the lot and are looking at a standard dealer allotment, that's when any professional salesperson's blood begins to flow. The art of their game is to jack as much $ over MSRP as possible. They've got enough people like us to cut into their margins - they need fresh kill to burnish their sales numbers.
The online configurator is not a firm price and no dealer anywhere is obligated to honor it. Yes, you still have to go/call a dealer to place an order.

Actually, this is a thread about record February sales (17% better than last Feb) for the Jeep Wrangler and it's 11% yearly sales increase. But it's ok, I'm good with all manner of Jeep discussion.

Sponsored

buried20kleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Crush Rubi
They’ve know for awhile that the tariff could be implemented...not out of the realm of reality..multiple reasons of a price increase.. moving production from Mexico to the US which is reported to create 2K jobs in the Michigan and Ohio plants costing $1B..I’m just saying the tariff is a factor, the public finds out via the news 2 weeks ago yet it’s been discussed for a while now.
It’s not the currently imaginary tariff that may or may not even happen, and may or may not be at the rates quickly mentioned by Trump, without any input or process from lawmakers or other global leaders. Geez.

Use some common sense. FCA just announced their best month of wrangler sales in HISTORY, and that’s in the shortest month of the year... on a vehicle already priced much higher than the previous model year. The first day of the next month the price went up.

They realized people want the vehicle and the already higher price isn’t scaring anyone off. They were leaving money on the table and they knew it.

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one.

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Somewhere in the far reaches of time, I think there was a question on my Econ 101 test about supply & demand ...

Also, to reiterate a point I made upthread, just wait until the weather improves. IMO, the new soft top is going to really drive sales. There are plenty of people looking for either a core 4WD or a butchier SUV aka mall crawler. But there are probably (10s) thousands of people who had forgotten about convertibles.

Now, you can get a convertible with an enclosed roll cage, along with being raised & boxier to provide an improved vantage in traffic. With the new soft top being a literally piece-of-cake no-brainer to either lower or put back up, just wait until the cat is out of the bag.

That's when the dealers will be standing around with an open ticket book - like a land sales real estate agent during boom times - writing up sales with MSRP mark-ups.

Just wait.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
Glad I bought mine 3 weeks ago! I already splurged for extra features. Probably would have passed otherwise.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I remember my dealer telling me the price could go up because of fca changing the price before my order arrived and that I'd have to pay the difference. Crap!

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Bottom of your order from dealer connect should have a statement:

This is not an invoice. The prices and equipment shown on the priced order confirmation are tentative and subject to change or correction without prior notice. No Claims against the content listed or prices quoted will be accepted. Refer to the vehicle invoice for final vehicle content and pricing. Orders are accepted only when the vehicle is shipped by the factory.

Goes

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon firecracker red (soon)
Bottom of your order from dealer connect should have a statement:

This is not an invoice. The prices and equipment shown on the priced order confirmation are tentative and subject to change or correction without prior notice. No Claims against the content listed or prices quoted will be accepted. Refer to the vehicle invoice for final vehicle content and pricing. Orders are accepted only when the vehicle is shipped by the factory.
My dealer honored the price when I ordered it, even though it had increased by the time it was delivered.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
My dealer honored the price when I ordered it, even though it had increased by the time it was delivered.
Yes they can as it is up to the dealer. I was simply saying that if this is at the bottom which I believe it is there is no recourse if they decide not to honor it. Well there is as somebody can simply decide not to buy it.

JLBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory order JL once I finalize the configuration..
Somewhere in the far reaches of time, I think there was a question on my Econ 101 test about supply & demand ...

Also, to reiterate a point I made upthread, just wait until the weather improves. IMO, the new soft top is going to really drive sales. There are plenty of people looking for either a core 4WD or a butchier SUV aka mall crawler. But there are probably (10s) thousands of people who had forgotten about convertibles.

Now, you can get a convertible with an enclosed roll cage, along with being raised & boxier to provide an improved vantage in traffic. With the new soft top being a literally piece-of-cake no-brainer to either lower or put back up, just wait until the cat is out of the bag.

That's when the dealers will be standing around with an open ticket book - like a land sales real estate agent during boom times - writing up sales with MSRP mark-ups.

Just wait.
Ok that's now TWO long winded rants about the soft top.. your "convertible" fetish is getting a little creepy..

JLBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory order JL once I finalize the configuration..
It's not just a Wrangler or "convertible" thing. It's a strong ass economy where people are spending money again thing.
Here's GM's February.
  • Best February ever for GMC Acadia and Chevrolet Equinox and Traverse
  • Double-digit growth for GMC Terrain and Chevrolet Suburban
  • Commercial deliveries up 15 percent
Ford's February didn't suck either.

Ford F-Series Marks Best February Results in 18 Years While All-New Ford Expedition Posts 41 Percent Retail Sales Increase; Lincoln Navigator Posts Gains In All Regions

If a BRAND NEW Wrangler redesign after 10 years did not do well out of the gate in this economy, now that would be real concerning..
As a matter of fact, why did the new redesigned expedition do so much better than the new Wrangler in February? And it's not even a convertible!:cwl:
Sponsored

Last edited: