Sponsored

Reconsidering the 2019 JL Rubicon - Anyone Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Not what I've found in my area....BUT...asking price isn't negotiated price either.
Actually I failed to mention that it DOES depend on locality which is also what we found in our study. I’m glad you mentioned that as I had forgotten.
Sponsored

moosetown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
> we'd get a much more fuel efficient rear axle (3.2 or 3.5 gear ratio).

just the rear? and no, you wouldn't be more efficient. you might even get worse.

> it probably needs a 10spd trans, rather than just an 8sp

a ZF8 in a jeep is a true gift from the gods. jk dudes are wondering how they can swap it in.

> we'd like an upgraded / modified front steering set up to eliminate the steering wander and overly sensitive steering

how would a sport be better? it's the same drag link, tie rod, and stabilizer. the rubi shocks and springs are stiffer, but probably not enough to make much of a difference on pavement.

> cosmetic options [...] the lift, the tires & wheels

there is no "lift", it's just taller springs and longer travel shocks, and it's what is making you hate the steering. and how are these cosmetic options? KO2s are some of the most plain looking tires

> we'd make the dual top option available... [blah blah blah]

k.

Missionsparta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Ram
A Rubicon should be bought for function, not looks. It’s really easy to make a Sport or Sahara look how you want. It’s a lot harder/more expensive to make them function like a Rubicon between the 44 up front/sway bar/lockers/4.10s/fitting 35s stock.

Here’s a picture of my Sport S with 285-70-17 tires. Since then I’ve changed the emblems to black. Looks great and rides perfectly for my needs, I couldn’t be happier. I’m sure I would’ve been happy with a Rubicon, but I would’ve been too content with how it is out of the factory rather than do exactly what I want. In a few years I’ll regear to 4.56 or 4.88 and get larger Duratracs.

6FCDE72E-8D7F-4545-9379-05EEA9146ACF.jpeg
A Rubicon or any other vehicle should be bought for whatever reason anyone wants to buy them. If people worried more about what they do and buy instead of what everyone else does, they'd be a lot happier. Comical as all hell.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I was incredibly close to buying a Sport S...I wasn't *too* concerned with the D30 (186) front, but I really wanted the Rubi 4:1 t-case

In the end I'm glad I got the Rubi (ripping off the horrid Rubi stickers helped immensely on day 1) but a Sport S with a lift and 35's would be quite capable....maybe a lunchbox locker in the rear and call it a day!

But in the end the price difference between a Sport with power windows and a Rubi wasn't THAT great, so it was easy to choose the Rubicon

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
OP, you seem like you care about fuel economy without understanding it. If you put rubicon suspension and tires on a sport, you’re going to take a huge hit in fuel efficiency. The axle ratio is helping you.

You should have gotten a Moab by all accounts though.

Sponsored

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
“Bought a Jeep. Not using it for Jeep stuff, but wanted the ‘look.’ Now I’ll go rant on the Jeep forum.”

Glad the OP is getting the well deserved feedback from our members. Maybe the OP will drive further out past the mall one day...

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Idk, i have rubi tires and still get decent mpg. The rubi is quite a bit heavier than sport and the gears makes a difference as well.

But your decent mpg claim relates to how *you* drive, not how the OP does.

The question is: Do you really think the OP's driving style is going to change (to get better MPG) with his new lift and tires that he says he wants in #3? Do you think it's going to get BETTER with larger tires and higher (numerically lower) gearing? I mean, if Gradofan's complaining of 33s and 4.10s; are 33's and "3.2s" going to be more fuel efficient? I highly doubt it.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
He likes the looks of the Rubicon but doesn’t require its capabilities. Didn’t know that was such a crime. I like the hood of the Rubi, otherwise everything else is relative. I’m going to purchase the hood and actually make it functional. Should I be thrown in jail? This isn’t the Mustang crowd where GT owners slap a 500 on the end and pretend...

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
So everyone in here getting mad at the OP for being a poser and only wanting a Rubicon for the looks (blah, blah, blah) better get mad at every Corvette owner for never taking their car to the tracks.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
No one probably "needs" a Jeep. Well, maybe a forest ranger might "need" a Jeep. I love mine and will never ever crawl on any rocks. I'm not a freaking goat. But I enjoy it every time I drive it.:like: Hmm, so maybe I do "need" a Jeep to make me smile:involve:

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
So everyone in here getting mad at the OP for being a poser and only wanting a Rubicon for the looks (blah, blah, blah) better get mad at every Corvette owner for never taking their car to the tracks.
No, no, no. That’s not what he’s saying. (Let’s play the equivalency game)

He’s saying that he bought a corvette because he wants people to think he’s cool. But once he got it home he discovered that it was TOO SCARY. It’s super duper fast and very loud. The torque hurts his little neck and his penis inverts when he revs it. He wants to put a hybrid motor in it so it’s not so scary anymore, but it’s too darn expensive. He wants his car to look like a race car, but with common sense-budget friendly mods that won’t negatively affect his hormone treatments. And gosh darn it GM should make those mods! Fast cars are for Neanderthals. Who would want that anyway? Whatever!

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
No, no, no. That’s not what he’s saying. (Let’s play the equivalency game)
And post like this are the reason why so many people with less than a dozen post, never return. Because as soon as they post something that the majority may not agree with, they get put on blast. It's not even worth saying because you're not going to listen, but you're not obligated to post that you're triggered about this guys ridiculous idea/post. You can just skip over the reply box and move on. But I forgot, this is the internet where everyone has to belittle anyone with a different opinion and constructive conversations are a thing for Neanderthals.

Missionsparta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Ram
Of course anybody could buy what they want for whatever reason. Likewise, I and others could laugh at those who wasted $5000 they could’ve used on other upgrades or saved. The cosmetic upgrades on a Rubicon are sure as hell not worth $5000 alone. It’s comical for you to say to worry about what people do individually when my post was entirely in support of what the OP was saying they plan to do. Reading comprehension goes a long way, but judging by your 2 other douche comments you’re just a troll wasting time.
You flat out said a Rubicon should be bought for this and not that....maybe you should work on your reading skills, Alice.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
You flat out said a Rubicon should be bought for this and not that....maybe you should work on your reading skills, Alice.
“Should” does not mean “you must”.. Just cause you can does not mean you should. Again, reading comprehension goes a long way, but you’re clearly lacking in that regard.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Dear Lord. We both know your implications. You and the other ass hat worried about what everyone else does with their vehicles....laughable. Again.....work on your reading comprehension before you start suggesting it for others.
My implication was that you should buy a vehicle for function, not appearance. My post was abundantly clear on that and anybody who isn’t a complete idiot would agree. In fact, the OP you’re defending agrees with that by admitting getting a Rubi was a mistake since they didn’t need any of the functions. Again, should does not mean you must, but you’re too stupid to understand basic English.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.