Sponsored

Reconsidering the 2019 JL Rubicon - Anyone Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradofan

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2dr
We're not "off-roaders" or "Sturgis" types... and our beautiful new 2019 Rubicon JL 2dr will never see the trails, or mud, or rocks, or anything like that. We bought it for "boulevard cruising" and traveling in a cool vehicle with the top down. We had to have the Rubicon "look," which you can't get in any other stock Wrangler - unfortunately - because we ended up paying for a lot of stuff we don't need and will never use (the off-road capability).

And... after driving it for 6 months... I guess... If we had to do it all over again... we'd probably opt to get a Sport and modify it to look like the Rubicon - which would save a lot of money, and we'd likely be happier with what we got.

It's too bad... FCA... can't offer such an option. Or, maybe they do... and... we just didn't realize it.

What would we change?

1st - we'd get a much more fuel efficient rear axle (3.2 or 3.5 gear ratio). You can't afford to change the 4.11 ratio to a more fuel efficient option, because you'd never recover the cost in fuel savings. And... it probably needs a 10spd trans, rather than just an 8sp.

2nd - we'd like an upgraded / modified front steering set up to eliminate the steering wander and overly sensitive steering, which is actually dangerous on the expressways with heavy traffic. Oh yes... we've done all the things the factory recommends (and owners) to "fix" this problem, but it still wanders a bit, and is way too sensitive to input. And... we don't wan't to start installing a bunch of "after-market," custom parts to try and improve it further, if it can be - which most of the custom shops suggest is not likely. If you've never owned a Wrangler, and are considering one... be aware... it's not going to steer like any other vehicle you've driven - it's not designed to.

3rd - we'd make all the cosmetic options of the Rubicon available on the Sport (e.g. the lift, the tires & wheels, the body colored fenders, the body colored hard top, and all of the other options the Rubicon has that the Sport doesn't.

4th - we'd make the dual top option available from the time the new model is available, or grant early buyers a credit to apply to the puchase of the soft top, when available later. We were able to get only one or the other, not both - we got the body colored hard-top - and, it will cost us more to add the soft top now that it's available.

We could go on... but... you get the point.

As I said - if we had to do it over - we'd likely just get the Sport and have it customized to look like the Rubicon. And... in the process... who knows... we might even have avoided the steering wander of the stock Rubicon. So... if you haven't ordered your's yet... you may want to reconsider.
Sponsored

JLBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL-Sport
Occupation
GWOT Life
I love the Rubicon look as well. But went with a full loaded sport and now adding after market wheels to give the Rubicon look and little more traction and capability in the dirt. 95% of my driving is on the hwy. 5% is on dirt trails. Thus the Sports all I needed.

The good news for you is that in about a 2 years once you pay down the jeep a bit, you can sell your Rubicon for top dollar and get a sport.. and save some $$$ along the way.

Last edited:

cktlarge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I have a new 2dr sport on order. Should be here any day. I’ll make a thread on the reasoning and differences I experience when it comes in.

I do love my rubi but I’m excited about the decision.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if steering wander and poor mileage are unique to the Rubicon... those are both fairly common traits of a Jeep. I never thought mine suffered in these regards because it was a Rubi. That being said there is NOTHING wrong with going the Sport route. The closest thing Jeep has to what you're looking for is a MOAB but that's priced right in there with Rubis and only available in 4-door. I'm sure there are lots of Rubicons running around for "the look" that never wander off pavement. Can't say I favor this but when it's someone else's dime I let them decide how to spend it.

I LOVE the look of the Rubi, but if I didn't really want the lockers and electronic disconnect I would have gone a different route. ALL Wranglers are capable from the Sport to the Moab and everything in between.

If you really want a Sport there's no reason you can't. You might get better steering and mileage (don't know how bad your steering and/or mileage are) but hard to say for sure since it's all relative.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Does it have to be a Jeep? Perhaps the upcoming Ford Bronco will suit your wants and needs better. Though I am prepared for disappointment, I have high hopes for the Bronco.

My wife and I are debating one day getting a JL for my wife's daily driver, but she has no interest in driving off road, and I feel like the Wrangler makes a lot of compromises on road, to deliver its legendary off road capability.

Like others have mentioned, the JL is holding its value well, and you certainly have some trade options moving forward.

Sponsored

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Does it have to be a Jeep? Perhaps the upcoming Ford Bronco will suit your wants and needs better. Though I am prepared for disappointment, I have high hopes for the Bronco.
This really is a unique time for those of us that are into off road spec SUVs.

We have the Jeep line. In 2 and 4 door.
We have the upcoming Ford Bronco. In 2 and 4 door.
We have the upcoming Land Rover Defender. In 2 and 4 door.
We have the Toyota TRD Pro (Tacoma and 4Runner). Which has a resale value on par with the wrangler.

It's a busy market in the next year or two.

Leolo007

First Name
Leonel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CRV, looking to buy a JL Sport S.
I'm on the same boat. We are planning on getting a Sport and first mod will be Rubicon wheels, probably later painted fenders and Rubicon hood.
We are buying the Jeep because my 2 young boys (5 and 3) go wild everytime they see one.
Maybe as they grow up we will start modifying it for off-roading together, but right now it will just be a our weekend cruising car for the family.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Interesting perspective. I bought my Jeep because of what it does, not how it looks, nor do I care if others think it looks good or not.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Not trying to bash "mall crawlers" but I see so many people get out of new JLR's (after parking them) and I'm pretty sure they couldn't tell me what lockers are, what a sway bar does, what a transfer case is (much less 4:1) or even where the 4.10 ring and pinion gear sets reside on their vehicle.

Again, it's their money so whatever but if you can't identify everything above you probably don't need a Rubicon package.

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying to bash "mall crawlers" but I see so many people get out of new JLR's (after parking them) and I'm pretty sure they couldn't tell me what lockers are, what a sway bar does, what a transfer case is (much less 4:1) or even where the 4.10 ring and pinion gear sets reside on their vehicle.

Again, it's their money so whatever but if you can't identify everything above you probably don't need a Rubicon package.
So, acording to your logic if a person likes to go on a track to race fast cars and is a good racer (as a driver) but doesn't know for exampe the difference between a turbo and a supercharger, he /she shouldn't get a fast forced induction car?

Sponsored

rle737ng

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Mojito!
I got a Sport S off the lot in the color I wanted. Made a few mods along the way for functionality. I'm finally getting around to a set of Rubi wheels and tires just because I think they look better. I will be just about finished with mods after that. Still cost way less than a Rubi.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I went the Sport route, picked up new for super cheap. I got the Rubi rails for free thanks to a former member here (he got rid of his Rubi and got a trailhawk), purchasing the Rubi Steel bumpers from a member on here for an awesome price (hopefully he still has them when I’m ready!), I’m getting the Rubi hood from my dealer soon for cheap ($600) and I put new wheels, tires and an upgraded SS. I upgraded from the 5.3” to the 7” head unit for cheap through my dealer (I installed it myself). I also chose the upgraded real 44 axle. It’s all I’ll ever need and it’s never let me down. Love it! It’s been a blast doing the work myself and saving money.

I AM HAPPY! And my wallet it too haha

28BE1E88-79FD-4C15-93C6-4D21059E2F4C.jpeg
1221EA0E-EFFE-4C02-ADA6-4D7EFE870583.jpeg

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There is nothing wrong with converting a Sport to look like a Rubicon. Tons of people do this, but you need to realize that simply adding some lift and the Rubicon wheels/tires isn't as simple as you might think. Adding the lift and larger tires to a Sport will knock your fuel mileage down and could turn your rig into a proverbial slug, unless you don't care about acceleration. It will also make your brakes less effective without upgrading them. It might look cooler to you, but you might not enjoy driving it as much.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.