Sponsored

Recommended tow strap for pulling out stuck neighbors

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
In the early 1980's I had a Toyota 4x4 Truck and used to pull out friends and neighbors when they got stuck in the snow and ice. Now that we have the JL, I'd be willing to do that again for the neighbors when the snow gets deep. But I no longer have the nylon tow strap from back in the day.

Looking for a tow strap without hooks as I remember they used to scratch finishes and I also remember we learned how to loop the straps so hooks weren't necessary.

Anyone have a tow strap they recommend that they've had good luck with for pulling out stuck cars?

Thanks.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have 3 Erickson straps that I’ve bought over the years from Tractor Supply. 30’x3”. I’ve pulled many stuck vehicles out over the years. I’ve even used them, along with a chain, to pull stumps and bushes. The most worn one is now kept on my boat incase I need it for something.

i did a search and found that TSC doesn’t sell that strap anymore, but BPS does.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/30-...VEtvACh0_RgcJEAQYCiABEgLMD_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have the mopar jeep recovery kit and swapped out the metal tow hooks with two synthetic soft shackles. Nothing crazy, just some basic stuff that I felt could be useful. Fits in the trunk cubby perfect and was only $100 for everything.

Sponsored

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
The new kinetic ropes like Matts with soft shackles are superior to the old days, just watch what he can yank with his Cherokee on his channel, it's amazing.

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
Yeah man, Yankum kinetic ropes (straps) that Matt uses are super. They also have conventional non-kinetic straps.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I keep a Bubba rope in the Jeep. They are pricey, but you will never have to buy another one.

These things are awesome!

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended tow strap for pulling out stuck neighbors 1608484148402

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Don't want to poke a hornets nest, but I find that there is room in my arsenal for both a tow strap (hooks) and recovery straps (loops). Pulling out vehicles with tow hooks (pickups, Suburbans, etc.) the far preferred and safer way is with recovery straps. The stretch also allows you to use the inertia of a lighter vehicle to pull out a heavy vehicle.

However, for pulling out run of the mill sedans, Subaru's, Audi's, etc. I often resort to a tow strap with hooks. Due to my travel locations I usually end up pulling out a number of vehicles every season and have pulled out an Audi and a BMW this year already. Most modern non-offroad vehicles can be much more challenging to attach to than in the good old days. Sometimes the only accessible 'hard point' might be an A-arm. The attach points may be sharp, are often not suitable for either a loop or a shackle and of only modest strength. If you are not sure of the attach point, best to recommend a tow truck.

Due to the limited suitability of the attach points it is essential to use a gentle steady pull, and preferably with the driver of the stuck vehicle helping by keeping the wheels pointed in the correct direction and light throttle without spinning the tires. Use your rear tow hook so if anything were to let go it's coming low and at the back of your vehicle.

Safety is paramount. A hook can turn into a projectile if something were to break. Keep yourself and bystanders out of harms way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Timmyjoe

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Thanks for everyone's input. Sorry about posting in the wrong forum.

Those straps from Bass Pro Shop look like what we used years ago.

Been almost 40 years since I pulled vehicles, so I'll take some time study up on proper procedures.

Any recommendation as far as kinetic vs non-kinetic straps, for simple pulls like cars stuck in snow banks, not the crazy stuff that Matt and those folks do(which is quite impressive but not something I would ever try).

Best,
-Tim

SunshneĂ—Whsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
X2 on the Bubba Rope. Expensive, but like mentioned above, you will never have to buy another one. I've had mine for 8 years, dragged it though mud, sand, snow and rocks, pulled out sxs, yotas, jeeps, full sized and even humvees with ease. Best tool in my tool box

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have this 7/8" x 30' Bubba Rope for any pulling situations outside of simple towing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended tow strap for pulling out stuck neighbors recovery_rope_red

It came with this pair of Bubbas Gator Jaw soft shackles, courtesy of a package deal from Northridge 4x4.
Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended tow strap for pulling out stuck neighbors mini-gator-jaw

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for everyone's input. Sorry about posting in the wrong forum.

Those straps from Bass Pro Shop look like what we used years ago.

Been almost 40 years since I pulled vehicles, so I'll take some time study up on proper procedures.

Any recommendation as far as kinetic vs non-kinetic straps, for simple pulls like cars stuck in snow banks, not the crazy stuff that Matt and those folks do(which is quite impressive but not something I would ever try).

Best,
-Tim
I would use non-kinetic for rescuing stranded motorists. Their vehicles are less likely to have easily accessible tow points. That means that using a kinetic rope is likely to damage something. It’ll build up energy from the initial stretch, and then when it yanks, it will act as a multiplier.

I use Masterpull for all my kinetic and non-kinetic lines. These are what you’d look for from them for non-kinetic: http://www.masterpull.com/synthetic-winch-extensions/