OP
Timmyjoe

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Thanks for everyone's input. I went ahead and got a BubbaRope and a couple of soft shackles. Was looking at the Honda CRV my kids drive and realized there is no tow point on the front of the vehicle (though there is a nice one on the back).

Reading about the best way to recover that vehicle from the front, they recommend using the two tie-downs welded to the front of the frame (used to tie down the vehicle when transporting from the factory to the dealerships) but they recommend using a recovery bridle to connect to both tie-downs, not just pulling on one. Which would set up a Y situation with a soft shackle on each tie-down, a recovery bridle strap (like 10 foot) going from tie-down to tie-down, and then the Bubbarope from the center of the recovery bridle to the rear of my Jeep. Does this sound like a safe situation for pulling a Unibody vehicle out of a snow drift?

Thanks.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored

Last edited:

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks for everyone's input. I went ahead and got a BubbaRope and a couple of soft shackles. Was looking at the Honda CRV my kids drive and realized there is no tow point on the front of the vehicle (though there is a nice one on the back).

Reading about the best way to recover that vehicle from the front, they recommend using the two tie-downs welded to the front of the frame (used to tie down the vehicle when transporting from the factory to the dealerships) but they recommend using a recovery bridle to connect to both tie-downs, not just pulling on one. Which would set up a Y situation with a soft shackle on each tie-down, a recovery bridle strap (like 10 foot) going from tie-down to tie-down, and then the Bubbarope from the center of the recovery bridle to the rear of my Jeep. Does this sound like a safe situation for pulling a Unibody vehicle out of a snow drift?

Thanks.

Best,
-Tim
The tie-down points or any similar spot will cause irreparable chafing on soft shackles. IMHO, you would be safer with metal shackles or hooks on places like that.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am a big fan of kinetic ropes and soft shackles for recovery. I would not be gungho to use them on a passenger car. I would most likely hook the winch to them and pull slow and controlled so that I did not damage the vehicle. The kinetic rope is great for pulling Jeeps and trucks etc that have solid recovery points hooked to a real frame.

The winch would be way better with a slow controlled pull. You will know if something is not going wrong before half of the car is ripped away from the vehicle..

OP
OP
Timmyjoe

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Took three weeks to finally get a Bubba Rope, purchased from the factory as no one else had the 7/8" x 30' I was looking for. Arrived Thursday and boy does it STINK! Opened the box and was overwhelmed with a putrid chemical smell. Been airing it out outside for the last two days and it's barely any better. Will be a long time before I store it in the Jeep with it smelling like this.

Do the Yankum ropes and the Matt's Recovery rope smell like this when new as well? And I figured my rope smells worse than ones coming from dealers as the one I have was just made, and Bubba says when the first come off the assembly line they stink the worst.

Best,
-Tim

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Took three weeks to finally get a Bubba Rope, purchased from the factory as no one else had the 7/8" x 30' I was looking for. Arrived Thursday and boy does it STINK! Opened the box and was overwhelmed with a putrid chemical smell. Been airing it out outside for the last two days and it's barely any better. Will be a long time before I store it in the Jeep with it smelling like this.

Do the Yankum ropes and the Matt's Recovery rope smell like this when new as well? And I figured my rope smells worse than ones coming from dealers as the one I have was just made, and Bubba says when the first come off the assembly line they stink the worst.

Best,
-Tim
My 1 year+ old kinetic rope still has a smell. It has subsided a bit over time, but I think it would maybe go a bit faster if you were able to hit it with water and some dish soap or something. <<<I would check and make sure what they suggest to use (I'm sure they will say just water). But yeah, the smell is pretty strong.
Sponsored