Sponsored

Recommended service at 15k miles?

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
Hey guys, I’m gonna be changing the oil this coming weekend on my EcoDiesel. I’m also almost at 15k miles so I figured I’d do some routine maintenance at this time.

I looked at the owners manual to look at the recommended schedule and there didn’t really seem to be much there.

Is there anything you would do at this time if this was your rig?
Sponsored

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I’m gonna be changing the oil this coming weekend on my EcoDiesel. I’m also almost at 15k miles so I figured I’d do some routine maintenance at this time.

I looked at the owners manual to look at the recommended schedule and there didn’t really seem to be much there.

Is there anything you would do at this time if this was your rig?
Is this your 1st Oil Change @ 15,000 miles?
If so,
Oil/Oil Filter Replacement/Fuel Filter Replacement/Rotate Tires./Check all fluids
Check under Jeep and make sure no leakage before leaving
Check Dip Stick, make sure min 9 qts oil....etc
Check Cabin Filter
Reset Oil Gauge
Done

OP
OP
jlandry287

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
Is this your 1st Oil Change @ 15,000 miles?
If so,
Oil/Oil Filter Replacement/Fuel Filter Replacement/Rotate Tires./Check all fluids
Check under Jeep and make sure no leakage before leaving
Check Dip Stick, make sure min 9 qts oil....etc
Check Cabin Filter
Reset Oil Gauge
Done
no this’ll be the second. I had the first one done around 5k miles before we took a long Colorado trip. The manual suggest changing the fuel filter too, and I’ve got aftermarket aFe air filters on the way

the_jeepeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Despite the manual stating a fuel additive is not necessary to operate the Diesel engine, this community clearly advises doing your own research on the subject and fuel treatments should seriously be considered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlandry287

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
Fuel filter. Rotate tires. Check ball joints and tie rod ends. Air filter. Cabin air filter.
I planned on rotating the tires and changing the air filter. I also planned on doing an inspection of the suspension components (just visually make sure nothing looks off, don't know how else to inspect). I'll go ahead and find/order a new cabin air filter also.

Despite the manual stating a fuel additive is not necessary to operate the Diesel engine, this community clearly advises doing your own research on the subject and fuel treatments should seriously be considered.
I've never owned a diesel, so what type of additives are we talking? Seafoam?

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
2nd to what everyone said except use Amsoil in everything.

OP
OP
jlandry287

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
2nd to what everyone said except use Amsoil in everything.
Which amsoil do you use?

I wanted to use amsoil I just didn't see anything listed on their oil about meeting the required specs

the_jeepeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I've never owned a diesel, so what type of additives are we talking? Seafoam?
Same here. I found the interview in this video to be a palatable way to begin understanding the state of diesel machinery ownership and operation in the landscape of ever increasing environmental restrictions put on fuel production.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Amsoil meets above spec 100%. Check the site and enter your rig it will list everything. I use it in every vehicle we own. On my Sons we just both diffs at 75w110, tranny, and cases.

Which amsoil do you use?

I wanted to use amsoil I just didn't see anything listed on their oil about meeting the required specs

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Amsoil meets above spec 100%. Check the site and enter your rig it will list everything. I use it in every vehicle we own. On my Sons we just both diffs at 75w110, tranny, and cases.
Just because their website says it's good doesn't mean they meet spec. There's nothing in their documentation about meeting MS-12991 spec.

It's probably OK to run it and it won't cause problems. But I don't take advice from websites of companies who have a vested interest in selling their products.

If it doesn't have the MS-12991 spec, I don't run it.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I run it all over in everything and cook with it. Hell use it in my windshield washer to make my wipers faster.

Now to spilt hairs there is a big difference between recommend and required. To split more of the hair Amsoil is MS 12991 "spec" rated since 2013 with approved SAPS levels and is listed on the site. However you can run whatever meets your requirements.

Just because their website says it's good doesn't mean they meet spec. There's nothing in their documentation about meeting MS-12991 spec.

It's probably OK to run it and it won't cause problems. But I don't take advice from websites of companies who have a vested interest in selling their products.

If it doesn't have the MS-12991 spec, I don't run it.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I run it all over in everything and cook with it. Hell use it in my windshield washer to make my wipers faster.

Now to spilt hairs there is a big difference between recommend and required. To split more of the hair Amsoil is MS rated and is listed on the site. However you can run whatever meets your requirements.
I looked on their site. Couldn't find anything about meeting spec.

Can you provide a link?

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes sir here you go!

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-.../3-0l-6-cyl-engine-code-m-exh-m-diesel-turbo/

Also the 3.0 or EXH motor is not a new motor and was established by Fiat years ago. They implemented (recommended) the rating as they had several issues with the motor however Amsoil had the rating in EU oils years prior that require this as most EU motors are Diesel including API and SN category. The MS 12991xxx rating is material standard meaning full syn which Amsoil is above and beyond full and is not a blend.

Keep in mind it is >>>RECOMMENDED<<< not required so your point MS12991 is null.

We run Amsoil in everything from tractors, to Hellcats and Harleys with zero issues. Most of all it runs about an 18k mile interval with matching filter so it pays and protects.

I looked on their site. Couldn't find anything about meeting spec.

Can you provide a link?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Yes sir here you go!

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-.../3-0l-6-cyl-engine-code-m-exh-m-diesel-turbo/

Also the 3.0 or EXH motor is not a new motor and was established by Fiat years ago. They implemented (recommended) the rating as they had several issues with the motor however Amsoil had the rating in EU oils years prior that require this as most EU motors are Diesel including API and SN category. The MS 12991xxx rating is material standard meaning full syn which Amsoil is above and beyond full and is not a blend.

Keep in mind it is >>>RECOMMENDED<<< not required so your point MS12991 is null.

We run Amsoil in everything from tractors, to Hellcats and Harleys with zero issues. Most of all it runs about an 18k mile interval with matching filter so it pays and protects.
So, it hasn't been certified to the standard then?
Sponsored