Sponsored

Recommended lift options to clear Kenda Klever 35x10.5r17 (JLU Sport S)

emohn

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLU
Hi all,

For a number of reasons I won't necessarily go into in this thread, I've decided on the Kenda Klever KR601 in a 35x10.5r17 for my JLU Sport S. Intent is to mount on stock 17x17.5 granite crystal OEM wheels. I'm hopeful that by going with the narrow 35, I'm able to stick with stock offset/backspacing and avert getting into the control arms too much at steering extremes.

What I'm a bit leerier about is that my current plans on the lift are going to be sufficient to allow for travel. I'm a fan of tall/skinny tires + low CG.

I secured a set of Rubicon Diesel (hardtop, steel bumpers) takeoffs and believe these to be the tallest/stiffest options of the current OEM lineup, and have already sourced Mopar Lift LCAs to correct caster. I planned to add on a mild spacer lift in the 0.5-1" range - Terraflex perhaps - but worry that may not be enough total lift to clear the tires and allow for a decent range of motion. I'd rather not go the Rubi high-clearance fender swap if I don't need to, but also don't want to go much taller on my lift, as I've got young kids that make the daily school commute in the back of the Jeep and don't want to set them up for a daily climbing routine.

Thoughts? Do I need to shoot for 3"+ above JLU Sport S height to clear those tires? Should I shift this to the tires/wheels tech section? Thanks in advance for any insights or experience.

-Erik M
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Hmmmm...from reading through many threads here and also having done the Rubi spring swap into a Sport, we know the diesel springs give the most lift (2" at least over Sport springs). I have the 60/61 fronts and 90/91 rears on my 2-door and Rubi 285/70 KO2s and my Sport is 2.5" taller than stock.

You can run 35s straight from delivery (with the right offset) on a Rubicon because of the high fenders. I know you mentioned you didn't want them, but it would go with your low COG build instead of adding the extra spacer. Are you planning to add steel bumpers/winch or other heavy gear? Then you might need the spacer as well to level it all out.

How old/tall are your kids? Do you have steps/sliders to make it easier for them to get in?

AvengerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Following. I’ve been looking at those 10.5 Kendas as well. I bought a set of 1.75” spacers with the goal of going 12.5, but I’m curious to what your experience is going to be. I kind of dig the pizza cutters.

OP
OP

emohn

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLU
Clearance to the fenders and adequate travel is my primary concern, as I'm fairly confident that the narrower tires while stay off the LCA versus a two inch wider 12.5 that many try to run.

I'll look into the Rubi fenders a bit more, but I may just go with the Diesel Rubi takeoffs + a 1.5" spacer and re-evaluate down the road if I add steel bumpers and a winch or if I've found the tires stuffing into the fenders too much at max travel.

OP
OP

emohn

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLU
Hmmmm...from reading through many threads here and also having done the Rubi spring swap into a Sport, we know the diesel springs give the most lift (2" at least over Sport springs). I have the 60/61 fronts and 90/91 rears on my 2-door and Rubi 285/70 KO2s and my Sport is 2.5" taller than stock.

You can run 35s straight from delivery (with the right offset) on a Rubicon because of the high fenders. I know you mentioned you didn't want them, but it would go with your low COG build instead of adding the extra spacer. Are you planning to add steel bumpers/winch or other heavy gear? Then you might need the spacer as well to level it all out.

How old/tall are your kids? Do you have steps/sliders to make it easier for them to get in?
Thanks for the specs on your application - very helpful. Still on plastic bumpers and no winch for now, but you bring up good consideration. Kids are 8 and 10 right now and right around the 4 ft mark.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Could consider extending the bump stops if you have rubbing. You can price together the Mopar ones from the 2” for less than $100

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Erik, your plan sounds reasonable, you could always add them then reevaluate, could test out your full suspension flex and add taller bump stops if needed.

I took the easy route and just went with high fenders, but they might not be legal in your area (or you may not like that look) This shot is with 295/70s, will be installing my 315/70/17 Mickeys next month.

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift options to clear Kenda Klever 35x10.5r17 (JLU Sport S) IMG_0565.JPG

OP
OP

emohn

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLU
Update. Ordered the Teraflex 1.5" (2 front, 1.5 rear) spacer lift to pair up with the Rubi takeoff shock and springs. I'm waiting on the Mopar longer LCAs to come in the mail from JeepsAreUs... and it's... slow.

I'll report back after installing. Still a bit nervous on 35s vs. 33s, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and make it work.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Update. Ordered the Teraflex 1.5" (2 front, 1.5 rear) spacer lift to pair up with the Rubi takeoff shock and springs. I'm waiting on the Mopar longer LCAs to come in the mail from JeepsAreUs... and it's... slow.

I'll report back after installing. Still a bit nervous on 35s vs. 33s, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and make it work.
Any update on this build?

OP
OP

emohn

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLU
Update!

Getting things a little bit out of sync in my preferred order of operations (lift first, then tires) - I had the opportunity to swing by my buddy’s tire shop yesterday and gave the Kendas mounted up.

To recap, 2018 JLU Sport with NO LIFT currently. Only modification to clear the 35x10.5R17 Kenda RT601 was to remove the little rubber filler pieces between the back side of the rubber bumper and the fender flares. I think a couple of the pics below show it with those still present, and the final ones without. Do the 35s fit? Yes. No rubbing on fenders, control arms or anywhere else. Full range of motion in steering and good on road manners: very light steering feel, low noise, ride is at least as compliant as my Kevlar-sidewall Michelins that were previously on here.

Would I leave it this way long? Nope. The rake front to rear is goofy, and the available fender clearance means that no real amount of flexing could be done off-road for now. But for street/highway driving, it’s fine. If you want the look of 35s and don’t go off-road, go for it. The skinny Kenda’s fit fine on stock rims with no other issues. I’ll be driving it like this for about another 3-4 days and will put my lift (rubicon takeoffs plus Terraflex spacers) this weekend to correct the rake and give back clearance. Oh, and I’ll be grateful for the longer mopar LCAs giving more caster. It rides fine now and had no wobble, but the steering is almost too light, and I’d like a little more caster to help the steering self-center.

Edit: to add that the RC spare tire relocation bracket should be here in a couple days to get the full-sized 35” spare out of the cargo area. 😂

-Erik M

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift options to clear Kenda Klever 35x10.5r17 (JLU Sport S) 4425C468-F1C5-44AD-96FA-9B5B25DAFC6C

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift options to clear Kenda Klever 35x10.5r17 (JLU Sport S) 4DBE98DB-30D9-42A6-AAE7-657C45CF2A97

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift options to clear Kenda Klever 35x10.5r17 (JLU Sport S) AD3986E8-64BE-44C2-8E3C-3572B4A97168

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift options to clear Kenda Klever 35x10.5r17 (JLU Sport S) B0F75FBF-C12B-49E8-88AD-ED3A26CD8686

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift options to clear Kenda Klever 35x10.5r17 (JLU Sport S) 590AD92F-E1C9-44D0-89E1-210CA89B39C4

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift options to clear Kenda Klever 35x10.5r17 (JLU Sport S) 8FDE82B4-7ADB-4045-8D1B-4E651C7B691F

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift options to clear Kenda Klever 35x10.5r17 (JLU Sport S) 4EBDE40F-EB68-49C6-8F1B-32C1A4D02FC5

Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 392 Wrangler
Occupation
Retirement From Oil Refinery
i was seriously looking at getting the Kenda's but just went with what i know Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 are 34.09" by 11.57" @66# . 2021 Willys Diesel so mine is heavy i wanted a small lift that could support the weight since a have a steel bumper & winch also i used Mopar lift lower CA's & the lift sway bar connects from mopar. found a local guy selling Diesel Rubicon springs & shocks for $150. used the springs and MetalCloak rocksport shocks , alloy USA 2.5" spacer lift because it's metal, the front spacer is 2" with your isolator it's 2.5". used alloys bump stops & the rear a 3/4" spacer makes it 1" taller in the rear.

washed.jpg

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Best way IMO would be 1/2” or 3/4” spacers and only do the basic black Rubicon fenders, Rubicon shock swap, easy peasy. The Mopar LCA’s will be nice. You could swap the spacers with gas Rubicon springs and still have a nice LOW COG setup. I’m thinking those diesel springs might be kinda stiff up front or put the nose up.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
i was seriously looking at getting the Kenda's but just went with what i know Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 are 34.09" by 11.57" @66# . 2021 Willys Diesel so mine is heavy i wanted a small lift that could support the weight since a have a steel bumper & winch also i used Mopar lift lower CA's & the lift sway bar connects from mopar. found a local guy selling Diesel Rubicon springs & shocks for $150. used the springs and MetalCloak rocksport shocks , alloy USA 2.5" spacer lift because it's metal, the front spacer is 2" with your isolator it's 2.5". used alloys bump stops & the rear a 3/4" spacer makes it 1" taller in the rear.

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift options to clear Kenda Klever 35x10.5r17 (JLU Sport S) washed
If you get disconnects in the future, you may want to watch your front DS at full droop, the rock sports are 30” extended.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 392 Wrangler
Occupation
Retirement From Oil Refinery
If you get disconnects in the future, you may want to watch your front DS at full droop, the rock sports are 30” extended.
Yeah i know I’ve had them on my JK with a lift , thanks though i bought a pair of Apex sway links just came in the mail they are like a shock when disconnected. Thanks

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why I'm just seeing this thread, but 35x10.50s fit on a stock Sport if you're willing to do a little plastic surgery. I upgraded the wheels at the same time I did the tires, but the extra backspacing wasn't necessary for clearance with this setup. In fact, it may have been slightly detrimental, although I have no issues either way.

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended lift options to clear Kenda Klever 35x10.5r17 (JLU Sport S) 1635797972471
Sponsored