Sponsored

Recommended Lift Kits if you're planning to have roof top tent??

Treecassell

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I was just curious if any companies had any options for lifts that are "heavy duty" or made for weight in mind? I have a Rhino Rack Backbone roof rack and a Smittybilt Overland rooftop tent on the way and I currently have a stock 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I'm looking at trying to lift it before I put everything on, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

FWIW: about 80% of the online reviews Iā€™ve seen from those who mounted a rooftop tent onto a Wrangler express regret.

Their complaints range from the weight of the tent significantly elevating the vehicleā€™s center of gravity, to it being difficult to get in and out of the tent, to developing cracks on the top, etc.

I was considering a rooftop tent. But after seeing so many videos of people with regrets, I think Iā€™m going to stick to camping on the ground.

Good luck.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
you will spend at least 2000 to get one on your roof - you could probably get a small trailer and mount one to that and have more space. The weight is the biggest issue, seems like most rigs end up over GVWR once they add all the mods, keep it light. AEV makes heavy duty lifts for the JL
https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jl-2-5-dualsport-rt-suspension/

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I have been running just what you have on order mounted on my 2019 JL Sport 2DR. I love the setup and used it all last summer playing around in the North Maine Woods. (13.5 million acres) It is sometimes inconvenient getting up and down, but I am 81 years old and don't mind it at all. I spent many years sleeping on CHG (cold hard ground). Sometimes wet and occasionally frozen, but not with this setup, so hopefully never again . My only complaint is that if I am camped for more than a day in one place I have to fold the tent up to take the jeep out for supplies or exploring. Since I am an overlander rather than extreme off roader, the weight and higher CG, I am not concerned with. I have a set of Rubicon springs, shocks and the extended LCAs to put on when winter ends, just to get a little lift. We will see how that affects the ride once that is done. My only complaint with my Sport 2DR is the small gas tank. I carry a 5 gal Rotopax.
Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended Lift Kits if you're planning to have roof top tent?? IMG_0008.JPG

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Not sure where Aldo has seen 80% of people doing a RTT aren't happy and regret it, but I HIGHLY doubt that to be accurate. I am sure there are some that do, but there is absolutely no way that 80% is accurate. If it is please link the studies showing this!

First thing I would think of is are you planning on leaving it on all the time and decide from there. I sold my JKU when I ordered my JLUR. I was running 34's with AEV 2.5" Dualsport lift with 1/2" spacers front and rear. I had zero sag. I took this setup on medium to moderate trails and had no issues. If I was doing anything major off camber I would be concerned with the COG, but everything I ran last year gave me no problems. Only issue I ever was concerned with was the tent bumping trees or coming close to another rig on a narrow trail.

If you are not doing any rock crawling or high off camber then don't worry about the COG and rolling. I am actually in the same boat as you. My Jeep is set to come end of this month and trying to get lift figured out prior to arrival. Big thing is going to. be if you are ok with sag if you are running it year round or if you are ok having the rear sit higher when you take it off. You can also look at getting air bags for the rear to keep it level. I am considering this, but more likely will end up going with something with a higher spring rate in the rear. So I would look at spring rates/heavy duty springs maybe.

I'd also make sure you don't cheap out on a lift. Unless you are running air bags to compensate for the extra weight in the rear.

Sponsored

RIP11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
We have the rhino rack back bone with pioneer platform holding our ikamper skycamp 2.0 which weighs about 160 pounds. We are also a family of 5 so usually loaded down with plenty of gear. Our lift is the metal cloak game changer 3.5 on 37's. We absolutely love our entire set up and have taken multiple trips through Texas, Arizona, Colorado and Utah, and completed plenty of jeep badge of honor trails. If i can answer any questions to help, just let me know, or if you are looking for more pictures I'm happy to send you some or our instagram is wild_ride_jl

IMG_3180.JPG

Okanaganer

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler rubicon
We have the rhino rack back bone with pioneer platform holding our ikamper skycamp 2.0 which weighs about 160 pounds. We are also a family of 5 so usually loaded down with plenty of gear. Our lift is the metal cloak game changer 3.5 on 37's. We absolutely love our entire set up and have taken multiple trips through Texas, Arizona, Colorado and Utah, and completed plenty of jeep badge of honor trails. If i can answer any questions to help, just let me know, or if you are looking for more pictures I'm happy to send you some or our instagram is wild_ride_jl

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended Lift Kits if you're planning to have roof top tent?? IMG_3180.JPG
This is exactly what my wife and I are planning on doing. Just to be clear; the newer iKamper 2.0 fits on the Rhino Pioneer system? If so, you wouldnā€™t happen to have the model number of the Rhino system that works for this would you?

RIP11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is exactly what my wife and I are planning on doing. Just to be clear; the newer iKamper 2.0 fits on the Rhino Pioneer system? If so, you wouldnā€™t happen to have the model number of the Rhino system that works for this would you?
Yes, thats the ikamper skycamp 2.0 on the rhino rack backbone for the JL with the longer pioneer platform. I don't have the model numbers handy for the rhino rack but most of the big retailers sell them, although i'd suggest altitude industries in denver Co, they may even have the ikamper in stock. let me know if i can help with anything.

Okanaganer

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler rubicon
Yes, thats the ikamper skycamp 2.0 on the rhino rack backbone for the JL with the longer pioneer platform. I don't have the model numbers handy for the rhino rack but most of the big retailers sell them, although i'd suggest altitude industries in denver Co, they may even have the ikamper in stock. let me know if i can help with anything.
Thanks for the quick reply. The only rack that shows up for the Jeep JLU on Rhinoā€™s configurator is a 72ā€ x 56ā€. Sorry to be a bother, but does that seem to be the correct length (72ā€)?

RIP11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the quick reply. The only rack that shows up for the Jeep JLU on Rhinoā€™s configurator is a 72ā€ x 56ā€. Sorry to be a bother, but does that seem to be the correct length (72ā€)?
Yes, that is the one we are using, its been perfect so far.

Sponsored

Okanaganer

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler rubicon
Yes, that is the one we are using, its been perfect so far.
Thanks! Ordering them today. Itā€™s a crazy cold -20 degrees Celcius here today, so maybe itā€™ll warm up by the time I get them. LOL

Boondoggle

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended Lift Kits if you're planning to have roof top tent?? IMG_3180.JPG
Hello RIP11,
Thanks for sharing your setup specs on the roof rack. I also have a JLUR (ā€˜21) with a 3.5ā€ lift (Teraflex) and am running 37ā€™s and am about to order an iKamper Skycamp 2.0. But when I started researching roof racks to mount the iKamper to, I could not figure out which one would be the best one.
I like your setup and hope you would not mind answering a few questions:

1) the Rhino-Rack website lists 2 different Pioneer Platform models, both are 72x56. However it appears they have different legs. One has a RLT600 legs ($1734) and the other one has RCL legs ($1549). Do you happen to know which one you bought?
RTL-600: https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/pro...72-x-56-unassembled-with-rlt600-legs_jc-00456
RCL: https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/pro...rm-72-x-56-unassembled-with-rcl-legs_jc-00455

2) from your pics on Instagram (I am 3_Dog_Dad), it looks like your iKamper is set back so it overhangs just past the rear window. That may be too far rear for me since I have my hi-Jack lift mounted back there to the right of my spare tire. Plus I also mount my recovery boards to the hi-Jack lift. Question is can the iKamper be installed so itā€™s a few inches further forward on the Pioneer platform?

3) since we both have similar size lifts and tires, do you have any issues with the fold down ladder angle when it touches the ground (since our rigs are at least 5ā€ taller than stock rigs)?

4) sounds like you donā€™t have any issues with weight capacity issues with the iKamper Skycamp 2.0 + the five of you on the Rhino-Rack and Pioneer Rack. Not sure if you have ever sat inside the Jeep while your family is up in the iKamper to see if there are any stress noises on the hardtop? Also, have you noticed any stress cracks yet on the hardtop?

Thanks in advance.

43E03F01-865E-4046-B7A9-FE3CE8915909.jpeg

37E95BDF-9249-4FA3-B8F3-F4759C6C6DEA.jpeg

5CFA4C6F-4639-42EA-AC67-2E638CC29AE1.jpeg

CE90DC92-B2C3-422A-9349-7F04DE10128F.jpeg

3A77F661-C033-480F-85BA-6CBB952A17E6.png

7D5AB1E1-763D-43AB-8F99-880DF49BC679.jpeg

Kats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X5
Hello,
I am going with the same setup on my 4xe JLUR. I would like to understand how (what rails/ the distance between them) the ikamper 2.0 is mounted on to the platform (72x56).
Are there any special mounting hardware i have to order with ikamper or drilling needed or the mounting hardware that come with the ikamper simply drops onto the pioneer platform crossbars and bolts on ??

Thanks in advance.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Hello,
I am going with the same setup on my 4xe JLUR. I would like to understand how (what rails/ the distance between them) the ikamper 2.0 is mounted on to the platform (72x56).
Are there any special mounting hardware i have to order with ikamper or drilling needed or the mounting hardware that come with the ikamper simply drops onto the pioneer platform crossbars and bolts on ??

Thanks in advance.
Do not use platform with RTT. It will be unnecessarily too high. I am wheeling with mine everywhere I did before mounting RTT. I did loose some clearance but I still manage all trails. I did hellā€™s revenge hellā€˜s gate, poison spider, golden spike and steel bender this summer with it. Got hang few times before realized i have less clearance. I fixed loss of clearance later with lifting it 1.5ā€ higher and going with 40ā€ tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended Lift Kits if you're planning to have roof top tent?? 880FB3AA-B97A-4CFC-9552-5EE0996A5081

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended Lift Kits if you're planning to have roof top tent?? EDAADF88-7A34-43DD-9CD0-95D5E3543506

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommended Lift Kits if you're planning to have roof top tent?? 51C947D6-1572-4475-8C6B-F4ADE31D265B
Sponsored