Sponsored

Recommended gearing for Sahara V6 with 3.45 gears on 35s with a rear D44

What gears should I go with on a Sahara V6 on 35s with a rear D44?

• Total voters

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The tires in the sizes I want are hard to find, and the shops want an arm-and-a-leg for smaller 33-inch tires. I was quoted $2,100 today for five 33-inch KO2s; it’s just not worth it. For that kind of money I might as well look into regearing.
Not sure if you still have your 35s or if you found some 33s, but $2,100 for a set of 5 KO2s is bananas.

Check FB Marketplace or your local shops for Rubi take-offs. I have a Sahara Altitude (18" rims, 32" Dueler ATs) but wanted something more aggressive. 18" KO2s were nuts - close to that $2.1K you talked about.

Was able to pick up a set of 5 brand new, <100 Rubi take-offs from a local shop. Two of the rims still had the protective film on them they were so new. Included Rubicon rims (17" instead of my bigger 18") but not TPMS.

Full Costs:
- 5 tires/rims = $1K out the door
- DiscountTire swapping TPMS = $300 out the door
- Sold my original wheels/tires (9K miles on them) = $600 cash (in a week)

Total Cost for a full set of 5 brand new 33" KO2s + 17" Rubi wheels, mounted = $700.
Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if you still have your 35s or if you found some 33s, but $2,100 for a set of 5 KO2s is bananas.

Check FB Marketplace or your local shops for Rubi take-offs. I have a Sahara Altitude (18" rims, 32" Dueler ATs) but wanted something more aggressive. 18" KO2s were nuts - close to that $2.1K you talked about.

Was able to pick up a set of 5 brand new, <100 Rubi take-offs from a local shop. Two of the rims still had the protective film on them they were so new. Included Rubicon rims (17" instead of my bigger 18") but not TPMS.

Full Costs:
- 5 tires/rims = $1K out the door
- DiscountTire swapping TPMS = $300 out the door
- Sold my original wheels/tires (9K miles on them) = $600 cash (in a week)

Total Cost for a full set of 5 brand new 33" KO2s + 17" Rubi wheels, mounted = $700.
I’ve decided to keep the 35s. I can’t find a set of 34s anyway.

I’ll use that money to re-gear instead.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
If I were you I would not use Yukon gears at this time. Their QC had been horrible for the last couple of years.
I respect your advice, and wish I had this information before I set up everything for this Tuesday. I am committed to this course of action since it was not easy setting this install up! I’ll let you all know how it goes! The worst case is I have to spend extra money to get the right gears in the Jeep! The best case is everything goes like clock work!

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I respect your advice, and wish I had this information before I set up everything up for this Tuesday. I am committed to this course of action since it was not easy setting this install up! I’ll let you all know how it goes! The worst case is I have to spend extra money to get the right gears in the Jeep! The best case is everything goes like clock work!
I'd ask to see the gear patterns before they button them up, or at least see some pictures.

Chadman682

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Silverado 2016 Tahoe
No need to belittle the shop; it is very reputable. It just so happens that this is a small town, and they haven’t come across many JLs yet. The fact that they made it work for that 2020 Sahara speaks of their diligence.

The “issue” I have —if we can call it that— is that these “new and improved” axles don’t really exist outside of JLs. It would seem FCA asked Dana to develop these “hybrid” axles for JL (and JT), but they haven’t really caught on anywhere else. To the point that five years later, Eaton still refuses to develop a TrueTrac for them.
Just an FYI. Eaton has developed a TruTrac for the JL. It has not been released yet. Should be soon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My search for a re-gearing shop is not going well.

There’s a local differential shop I’ve been recommended but I haven’t been able to get a quote from them in two weeks. I’ve tried to speak to the owner in four different occasions; left my contact info twice, still nothing. Looks like they don’t need my business.

I just got a quote from a fairly large 4x4 shop in town for $4,400!!! :surprised:

To me it is not worth spending that kind of money to swap gears.

I’m stuck between a rock and hard place: I can’t downsize tires and I can’t regear. If the quotes keep coming in like this I might have to sell the Jeep and, perhaps...start all over.

I’m going to try getting a quote from Aaron’s Olympic 4X4 down in Snohomish Co. Fingers crossed!

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
My search for a re-gearing shop is not going well.

There’s a local differential shop I’ve been recommended but I haven’t been able to get a quote from them in two weeks. I’ve tried to speak to the owner in four different occasions; left my contact info twice, still nothing. Looks like they don’t need my business.

I just got a quote from a large 4x4 shop in town for $4,400!!! :surprised:

I’m going to try Aaron’s Olympic 4X4 down in Snohomish Co.

If the quotes keep coming in like that I’m going to have to come up with a Plan B. To me it is not worth spending that kind of money just to swap gears.
I thought you went back to a shop this past Monday. What did they say?

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I thought you went back to a shop this past Monday. What did they say?
Nothing. I tried to meet up with the owner to get a quote four times now. He is NEVER there. He must be a ghost...

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I just got a quote from a fairly large 4x4 shop in town for $4,400!!! :surprised:
Holy crap, bet you could get some D44 take offs from a Rubicon for around that number, get 4.10s and lockers, and have your axles to sell.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap, bet you could get some D44 take offs from a Rubicon for around that number, get 4.10s and lockers, and have your axles to sell.
Yeah it makes no sense.

The quote was $1,400 in parts and $3,000 in labor.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
There's no way for them to really know the history of the gears. And they can wear prematurely if you don't get them set up the same as when they came out.
I also might add you cannot just check them visually. They may have went into excessive heat cycles that weakened them.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
No need to belittle the shop; it is very reputable. It just so happens that this is a small town, and they haven’t come across many JLs yet. The fact that they made it work for that 2020 Sahara speaks of their diligence.

The “issue” I have —if we can call it that— is that these “new and improved” axles don’t really exist outside of JLs. It would seem FCA asked Dana to develop these “hybrid” axles for JL (and JT), but they haven’t really caught on anywhere else. To the point that five years later, Eaton still refuses to develop a TrueTrac for them.
Well stated Aldo. Your shop at least is now aware of the axles exclusive to FCA. The Dana 44's on the Rubicon Wrangler JL's are very odd indeed. You can't just slap in a set of off the shelf Dana components and expect them to work. They have to be made specifically for the factory Wrangler.

As stated on many other threads and forums, the EPA and Euro restrictions are getting tighter. The only way to mitigate emissions is to lighten components and go with lighter oil. There are long debates on the forums as to what engine oil and axle fluid to use. Bottom line is less viscosity, less weight equals less emissions for equal amounts of throttle input.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Summary of my regearing quotes so far:
  • Shop A - $5,000
  • Shop B - $4,400
  • Shop C - Still waiting for quote
  • Shop D - Still trying to meet with the owner to get a quote
  • Shop E (4WP) - Never sent a quote
Have two TBD quotes left before throwing the towel and having to figure out a Plan C.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I'm not too far South of you and am getting ready to do my own. I don't know what is so weird about this area, but it the labor is crazy high here. On top of that, shops don't stand by their work. Most don't offer any warranty. I received similiar quotes to you before going through a nightmare I won't get into here, so now I'm doing my own. If you're mechanically inclined and want to see how it goes, I'd schedule the setup day with you so you can watch and we can bring questions back to the forum.
Don't go with 4WP, do Northridge 4x4 instead if you're going to drive. They're on the forums and will be accountable to their work. 4WP don't care, I went off their recommendation and regret it along with the ~$4.5k I've spent to date with more tools to go before I can install my own.
Back to the tire topic, there are Rubicon take-off tires available in our area. I don't think I posted mine here, but if you want me to I will.
Sponsored