Sponsored

Recommended gearing for Sahara V6 with 3.45 gears on 35s with a rear D44

What gears should I go with on a Sahara V6 on 35s with a rear D44?

• Total voters

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
No need to belittle the shop; it is very reputable. It just so happens that this is a small town, and they haven’t come across many JLs yet. The fact that they made it work for that 2020 Sahara speaks of their diligence.

The “issue” I have —if we can call it that— is that these “new and improved” axles don’t really exist outside of JLs. It would seem FCA asked Dana to develop these “hybrid” axles for JL (and JT), but they haven’t really caught on anywhere else. To the point that five years later, Eaton still refuses to develop a TrueTrac that works on them.
Apologies wasn’t trying to come off as belittling them. I indeed give them credit for making it work in the other JL. I was just stating my opinion that they may not understand these newer JL’s. I added that link so that you would be able to pass along the parts that would be needed so they wouldn’t have to go through the previous scenario you posted.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
No need to belittle the shop; it is very reputable. It just so happens that this is a small town, and they haven’t come across many JLs yet. The fact that they made it work for that 2020 Sahara speaks of their diligence.

The “issue” I have —if we can call it that— is that these “new and improved” axles don’t really exist outside of JLs. It would seem FCA asked Dana to develop these “hybrid” axles for JL (and JT), but they haven’t really caught on anywhere else. To the point that five years later, Eaton still refuses to develop a TrueTrac for them.
I completely disagree. If they don't understand that a new generation vehicle requires a little research before just blindly ordering gears there's no way they'd touch my rig. Also these aren't a "hybrid" by any stretch off the word.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
What kind of real-world MPG are you getting with the V6, 35s and 4.88s, if I may ask?
20mpg highway if I really try for it and it’s not a crazy mountain pass. City driving I can score ~18mpg but I have a lead foot and typically end up in the 14-16 range.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
20mpg highway if I really try for it and it’s not a crazy mountain pass. City driving I can score ~18mpg but I have a lead foot and typically end up in the 14-16 range.
That’s pretty good!

I’m getting 12-14 MPG right now with the stock 3.45 gears!

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
That’s pretty good!

I’m getting 12-14 MPG right now with the stock 3.45 gears!
I’m surprised you get that low mileage. I’m running 35 open country ATII and black rhino barstow and I get 15-16 city and 17-18 highway on the stock 3.45 gears. It has dropped down now due to the winter blend but I am still at 15 overall. I don’t see 8th a lot but I do see it below 72mph.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’m surprised you get that low mileage. I’m running 35 open country ATII and black rhino barstow and I get 15-16 city and 17-18 highway on the stock 3.45 gears. It has dropped down now due to the winter blend but I am still at 15 overall. I don’t see 8th a lot but I do see it below 72mph.
It might be the combination of the 2-inch Mopar lift (got 4 inches of lift in front; 3 inches in rear), and true 35-inch tires (vs 315s, which measure 34.4 inches).

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
It might be the combination of the 2-inch Mopar lift (got 4 inches of lift in front; 3 inches in rear), and true 35-inch tires (vs 315s, which measure 34.4 inches).
I got a lot of lift out of my 2.5 X-factor and my 315 Patagonias are bigger than my buddy's 35x12.5x17 KM3s, but at the same time my wheel/tire setup is lightweight so I may have an advantage there - I think the tires are only 66lbs and my wheels are 29lbs. I'm also a 2-door with no roof rack or any other exterior goodies aside from a winch.

On the flip side, I'm running a Spicer Ultimate 44 axle with no FAD so the internals and front driveshaft are turning in 2H.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
Quick update:

Yesterday I stopped by my local drive line shop to inquire about re-gearing my Sahara on 35s.

They do recommend going to 4.56 gearing for my setup.

Shooting the sh*t, they tell me that the "new" D44 axles on JLs are not really D44s, even though that is what FCA calls them. This so-called "new generation" D44s on JLs are more like a hybrid between a D35 and a D44, or a "super D35" as one of the techs put it —i.e., a D35 with a number of D44 upgrades.

A few months back a customer comes in to regear his 2020 Sahara: the VIN shows that it has a rear D44. They order the parts, but as soon as they put the Jeep on the lift they can tell it isn’t a “real” D44. Sure enough, the parts don’t fit. In the end they make it work, but only after they spend two weeks figuring out exactly what parts are needed for the regearing.

They want me to bring my Jeep back on Monday to put it up on the lift. I will know more after they take a look.

Apparently this is also the reason there still are so few aftermarket LSD and locker options for JLs.

This is a bit of a bummer.
Since I am regearing my Sahara with the limited slip on Tuesday 1/11/21 I called Yukon to make sure the gear kit I ordered would fit. Dana 30 front, 44 rear with limited slip. They said it should be no problem. I told him about Aldo's shop saying there might be a problem, but he disagreed.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Since I am regearing my Sahara with the limited slip on Tuesday 1/11/21 I called Yukon to make sure the gear kit I ordered would fit. Dana 30 front, 44 rear with limited slip. They said it should be no problem. I told him about Aldo's shop saying there might be a problem, but he disagreed.
If I were you I would not use Yukon gears at this time. Their QC had been horrible for the last couple of years.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That’s good to hear!

Granted, I spoke with one of the techs; the shop owner is out this week. The tech may have been stirring a storm in a tea cup. That’s part of the reason I have to go back on Monday.

Good luck on Tuesday! Let us know how it goes.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just a heads up, and hopefully they knew it, but we have the “advantec” axles not standard (universal) Dana’s.