Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR Granite Crystal
Occupation
Architect
Hi all,

Understand that there are some really good reviews and really bad reviews in regards to the BFG KO2s AT in wet and cold weather.

Particularly in regards to the fact that after 10000MILES or so when the soft compound wears off, the tires get noticably more noisy and hydroplanes more often in wet and cold conditions.

Anyone have any recommendations in regards to tires that conform to these points?:
  1. All year-round driving
  2. Good wet weather performance
  3. Good daily driving tire
  4. Little to no snow activity
  5. Once a month off-roading activity
  6. Less noisy than the JLUR Muddies.
Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Nitto Ridge Grapplers are my pick and thats what im running.

Its a hybrid tyre, looks good, really quiet and performs very well. Worth looking into. Im running 295/70/17 though im thinking i'll upgrade to 35s soon in the same tyre.

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Thanks Jaydee, good to see you are still happy with your choice. How many k's do you have on your tyres so far?

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Thanks Jaydee, good to see you are still happy with your choice. How many k's do you have on your tyres so far?
I have close to 18,000k's on my tyres now.. still going awesome.. I spent the last 3 days camping in the snow and i was towing a trailer and everything through a blizzard down icy roads and all just fine.. Absolutely love them.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I have close to 18,000k's on my tyres now.. still going awesome.. I spent the last 3 days camping in the snow and i was towing a trailer and everything through a blizzard down icy roads and all just fine.. Absolutely love them.
Hi Jaydee,
I remember you have 2.5” lift?
Can rubicon fit 295 70 17 without lift?
Someone said it will fit 295 70 17 or Even 285 75 17 from my research. I think that’s the biggest tyres without any engineer certificates.

Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Hi Jaydee,
I remember you have 2.5” lift?
Can rubicon fit 295 70 17 without lift?
Someone said it will fit 295 70 17 or Even 285 75 17 from my research. I think that’s the biggest tyres without any engineer certificates.
yeah i have the aev lift now.. currently looking to upgrade the suspension again already lol.

Though i was running 295/70/17 at stock height with no issues apart from some minor rubbing on the front left wheel inner fender at full lock left.. but it was only just touching by a couple of mm

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
yeah i have the aev lift now.. currently looking to upgrade the suspension again already lol.

Though i was running 295/70/17 at stock height with no issues apart from some minor rubbing on the front left wheel inner fender at full lock left.. but it was only just touching by a couple of mm
Thanks for verifying.
Which one you are going to have next?

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
starting with replacing the shocks with some rough country vertex shocks, which will be here end of the month or next month (waiting on stock) then new adjustable control arms, track bar, relocate steering stabiliser and go from there..

New rims and tyres will come hopefully before end of year. =)

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
starting with replacing the shocks with some rough country vertex shocks, which will be here end of the month or next month (waiting on stock) then new adjustable control arms, track bar, relocate steering stabiliser and go from there..

New rims and tyres will come hopefully before end of year. =)
Hi Jaydee,
I didn’t realise we can move steering stabiliser up. Would you mind talk more about how do you relocate it?

cheers.

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
You can cut off the original one, bracket and all and chuck a new steering stabiliser thats mounted higher. Apparently pretty straight forward. Though im just going to get a shop to do it for me along with a heap of other things.

Sponsored

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
You can cut off the original one, bracket and all and chuck a new steering stabiliser thats mounted higher. Apparently pretty straight forward. Though im just going to get a shop to do it for me along with a heap of other things.
Could please share a pic after you done.
thanks...

shep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 1976 LJ80
I have maxxis razr MTs which are really an AT tyre on my JK and very impressed so far. Significantly quieter then the BFGs KO2s that are on my WK2. Handle torrential rain well and never had any issues with on or off road grip.
mine are 315/70/17 but on a 17x9 wheel at 30psi they are 35” high.
the first thing I will do to my JLUR when it finally turns up is to swap the KMs for a set of razr’s

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Heres one that the boys over at solve offroad did a while ago.

you'll see how its been replaced and moved.
Thank you.
Cheers

guywiththehair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
I would recommend the Yokohama Geolander X-AT as a good alternative aggressive AT tire. Relatively new tire, don't see many people running them.

Travelled 30k km and they are very quiet. Offroad they do very well. Wet performance is fine.
Sponsored