Sponsored

Recommendations: Winch Plate + Winch for Stock Steel Bumper?

Winch Plate + Winch (Pick 1 plate + 1 winch)

• JCR

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Rusty's

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Maximus-3

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Rugged Ridge

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • WARN (plate)

Votes: 58 42.6%
  • LoD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other (plate - add to comments)

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Quadratec Stealth (winch)

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Smittybilt (list model in comments)

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • WARN (list model in comments)

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • Other (winch - add to comments)

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all, I'm planning on adding a winch next and looking for recommendations. I have the stock steel bumper. Looking to find the right mounting plate and winch combo.

Right now, I'm looking at the @Quadratec Stealth + the @Rugged Ridge plate, but I'm open to suggestions. Price isn't an issue - but that said - I'm not going to just buy the most expensive thing just for the sake of getting 'the best'.

If you've installed a winch on the stock steel bumper, comment with the plate and winch used. Thanks!
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I have the steel bumper and installed JCR winch plate, skid plate and bull bar. They all fit perfect without issue. Heavy duty material. Winch I have is the Smittybilt X20. Regardless of what you choose, I recommend mounting the winch on the winch plate before mounting the bumper. Will save many headaches and wall-punches.

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
Hey all, I'm planning on adding a winch next and looking for recommendations. I have the stock steel bumper. Looking to find the right mounting plate and winch combo.

Right now, I'm looking at the @Quadratec Stealth + the @Rugged Ridge plate, but I'm open to suggestions. Price isn't an issue - but that said - I'm not going to just buy the most expensive thing just for the sake of getting 'the best'.

If you've installed a winch on the stock steel bumper, comment with the plate and winch used. Thanks!
Hey There,

Along with the Rugged Ridge and JCR plate I also recommend the Warn winch plate:

WAR_101255_JL_winchplate_001.jpg

https://www.quadratec.com/p/warn/winch-mount-plate-jeep-wrangler-jl-factory-steel-bumper

This plate and the Rugged Ridge one will work fine with the Stealth winch. I love my Stealth winch! I highly recommend it!

Have a great day,
Hailey

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

I have the stealth winch, it’s pretty sweet...:)

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I used the JCR winch plate, which fit perfectly, along with my older Warn M8000.

Sponsored

Semaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 71 Chevelle 65 mustang
Hey There,

Along with the Rugged Ridge and JCR plate I also recommend the Warn winch plate:

WAR_101255_JL_winchplate_001.jpg

https://www.quadratec.com/p/warn/winch-mount-plate-jeep-wrangler-jl-factory-steel-bumper

This plate and the Rugged Ridge one will work fine with the Stealth winch. I love my Stealth winch! I highly recommend it!

Have a great day,
Hailey
Do you know if after the plate and winch with synthetic line is added on a Rubicon with the factory steel bumpers will it cause a visible sag? I guess the better question is how much does the winch and plate weigh? I can simulate that weight on my bumper and see if mine sags.

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I used the Warn 101255 plate and a Warn VR10-S winch. No problems, everything went together great (screw all bolts in loosely at each step before tightening). Total weight added 100-120 lbs. No sag on Rubicon w/ factory suspension.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if after the plate and winch with synthetic line is added on a Rubicon with the factory steel bumpers will it cause a visible sag? I guess the better question is how much does the winch and plate weigh? I can simulate that weight on my bumper and see if mine sags.
My Q-stealth with synthetic line and JCR winch plate added ~81 lbs to my front end and front bumper lost about 5/8 inch in sag. Acceptable to me and I haven’t noticed any loss in mpg or handling of any kind either

ETCMSSRetJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR Hella Yella, 6 spd, loaded, Warn Zeon 10S, otherwise stock
Occupation
Trainer. Retired Navy Submarine Nuke
I recently installed the Warn plate and the Warn Zeon 10S on my Rubi factory bumper. I love the heavy duty plate and how solidly it attaches (should attach) in multiple places, but honestly I would NOT do it again. I would find a combination of winch and plate that is easier to properly install. It was as close to impossible to re-install the four nuts on the bumper studs inside frame flange as anything I've ever done. There was absolutely no way to get them torqued down fully. I only hope they are tight enough, and I pray that I never, ever need to remove the bumper or winch. And I tried every combination of flex and swivel head wrench, wobble adapter, short and medium extensions, even the flexible spring type extensions. Once the plate and winch are in place, it's really, really difficult to even get those nuts started. I imagine there are some Warn plate/winch equipped Jeeps out there with only the outside nuts on the studs that hold the bumper on (which is probably plenty, until you load that winch to its max pull). The winch and plate (and Warn medium height bull bar) seemed to actually level out the stance on my 2 door. The front was slightly higher than the rear...at least to my eye.

JLRuss

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I have a Quadratec Stealth winch on a Maximus-3 plate. A local shop that I've used many times put it on for me. They said some minor trimming was required to get the plate to fit. Other than that, everything went together well and functions properly.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I was planning on going with the Stealth but the sale price on the Smitty X20 10K with synthetic rope was just too tempting to pass up ( $420 w free shipping from @Northridge4x4 ). It's a solid waterproof winch and the remote works both wired and wireless. The Warn plate is a solid mount and had no difficulty with bolting up. Really like the combo. I don't think you could go wrong with the Stealth winch though... I just wasn't willing to pay an additional $180 for the equivalent winch.

It's worth noting the Stealth has a 4.9 HP motor, and the Smitty has a 6.6 HP motor, though I don't know how much difference that would make in the real world.

IMG_1493.JPG

Snowwhite

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I have the steel bumper and installed JCR winch plate, skid plate and bull bar. They all fit perfect without issue. Heavy duty material. Winch I have is the Smittybilt X20. Regardless of what you choose, I recommend mounting the winch on the winch plate before mounting the bumper. Will save many headaches and wall-punches.
Can you post a picture?