Sponsored

Recommendations to fix my dented corner!

Pabst113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy’s
Spring weather in SC has been awesome so the doors and windows came off for a bit...my first mistake was not having mirrors!

in a rush, I forgot about a light pole a few feet from the Jeep. Then the scratching and popping noises made me stop. Damage was done!

The bumper, tail light and assembly are toast, and the corner pushed into the rear quarter panel and buckled it. I’m looking to see what the recommendations are for the beat fix! I’m hoping for the least amount of body filler and wondering if it can be done without cutting the rear corner out. I have a few estimates. One body shop wants to pull the corner at the tail light to straighten the 1/4 panel, then cut the corner out and weld a new panel in. Another company, our town’s Mom and Pop auto body said they could pull inside the tail light, straighten with minimal filler without cutting the corner out.
Since the Jeep is so new, I’m hoping to keep the cutting and welding to none if possible.
Can this be fixed by just pulling the pane out and not cutting out the corner? And if so, thoughts on if a ton of body filler will be used?

Thanks!

C41AC674-4F79-4916-BA99-31A15F94DE88.jpeg

9EE63B4F-9DC0-47A7-AE10-A3B5852FE770.jpeg

7D177DC7-31D8-4085-9DDA-AB20364E1115.jpeg

E8F27DFF-8B7B-469B-B4ED-662A2B0458FF.jpeg

403D7821-51C8-421A-B413-0CE1FCB4D084.jpeg
Sponsored

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Ouch. Nope, you creased it.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can this be fixed by just pulling the pane out and not cutting out the corner? And if so, thoughts on if a ton of body filler will be used?
Since the rear quarter panel has been creased, it should be replaced if you want it done 100% right.

The section where the taillight sits could be repaired without issue.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Depends on what your insurance deductible is?

A good body shop if you want it done right. A cheaper route might be a very good PDR guy for the metal. A PDR guy might be able to make it look less noticable but the damge will still be there. Rust will still ben issue because the paint is cracked. Used bumpers are everywhere cheap. Used lights are probably around also.

It's a newer vehicle. I would want it repaired corrctly. Personally I would have a very good body shop repair it. I would consider insurance after weighing the deductible verses cost out of pocket.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

a very good PDR guy for the metal.
Unfortunately, no matter how good the PDR guy/gal may be, they won't be able to fix the crease. They may be able to get the metal back into shape a bit, but the crease will still be visible.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Not only is it creased, it's displaced and the paint is broken. No good PDR guy will touch it. Just suck it up and make an insurance claim.

I would not get another plastic bumper. This post serves as a reminder that I should get rid of my plastic bumpers.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I'd say it's time for a steel bumper.

Well... maybe slightly past time.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Ouch! It looks pretty bad up top, I’d say ask someone really reputable at PDR but I’m pretty sure you won’t find someone who’d want to touch it with how sharply it creased.
this makes me want to replace my plastic bumpers...

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
this makes me want to replace my plastic bumpers...
A week after I put my steel bumper on I was rear ended by a Chevy 2500 on the passenger corner that would have resulted in damage probably a little worse than OP's (it was a very low speed collision). The only thing it did to me was make the corner of my bumper a bit shinier and put a small plastic-to-plastic smudge on my tail light. Damage to the Chevy was significantly worse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pabst113

Pabst113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not looking for PDR, but am not sure if the shops will be able to repair it without cutting the quarter panel or corner out. 2 of the 3 shops say they can pull the crease out, flatten in and use limited filer for the finish.

OP
OP
Pabst113

Pabst113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m taking th

opportunity to

im taking the “opportunity” to put on a steel bumper and LED tail lights...

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I’m not looking for PDR, but am not sure if the shops will be able to repair it without cutting the quarter panel or corner out. 2 of the 3 shops say they can pull the crease out, flatten in and use limited filer for the finish.

I would not over think it. Accidents happen. It's minor. Good shops will warranty the body-paint work and labor for life. That's a easy repair for a good body shop. Paint match should not be an issue. A good shop should be able to make a near undetectable repair. A negative report on the CarFax is a possibility which might cause some diminished value in the future. I would keep copies of the pictures you took so you can explain to any future buyers what happened.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I’m taking th

im taking the “opportunity” to put on a steel bumper and LED tail lights...
Good choice, OP. Did you claim insurance?

For the panel, the choice is the classic Choose Two: cheap, fast, done well.

Remember to amend your story to, "this one time I was driving next to a cliff, when suddenly this mondo rockslide occurred, so I floored it downhill, but still ended up losing my rear bumper."
Sponsored