Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Another vote for the aFe Rock Basher - it sounds very nice with the 3.6.

Clearance is fantastic. Ends before the rear axle on the 4-door.
upload_2018-10-3_10-40-39.png
Would ending before the axle be smog legal in California?
Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Yeah, like I said before, if you're happy with it on YOUR jeep--that's all that counts--

To me it's to much background "NOISE" and at RPM, it sounds like a High School street race HONDA !

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I live here in So cal and stopped by a local smog shop yesterday and showed them the picture of the exhaust that ends before the rear axle and they said No , Actually he said no way. If it’s factory single exhaust it has to remain single exhaust and they also will not crawl underneath the jeep to find the tail pipe to put their sensor in. I don’t know if he knew what he was talking about but he said that exhaust is illegal in CA . Exhaust must exit outside the body of the vehicle ?

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
Well we installed it today.
We needed to rent a Exhaust Pipe Expander tool to get it mounted properly it was T I G H T! As far as sound goes I don't think it sounds ricer, here is a new video I found that has review, install, and sound clips without muffler and with the Flowmaster as well as some in the car driving... We did not remove the brackets like the guy in the video did, just used WD40 on the rubber mounts and popped them right off.

here's a pic of the pipe installed. it was too dark yesterday when we got done.

KIMG1104.JPG
Thanks for the addition of the 2nd edition video review and install. Do you have a tow hitch with the associated wiring harness? Just wondering how close the tip comes and if there’s any chance of the tow hitch wiring harness being melted.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for the addition of the 2nd edition video review and install. Do you have a tow hitch with the associated wiring harness? Just wondering how close the tip comes and if there’s any chance of the tow hitch wiring harness being melted.
yes on the hitch but no on the wiring harness. I think you would be fine though. It looks like you would have a couple of inches to spare and the instructions with the muffler say clearance should be maintained at 1/2 inch from the surrounding area.

Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
yes on the hitch but no on the wiring harness. I think you would be fine though. It looks like you would have a couple of inches to spare and the instructions with the muffler say clearance should be maintained at 1/2 inch from the surrounding area.
No you don’t have a wiring harness or no it shouldn’t melt the harness? Do you have an OEM hitch with the associated wiring harness?

I have OEM steel bumpers, I read a review where someone says this fits with an aftermarket bumper. What bumper do you have?

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
No you don’t have a wiring harness or no it shouldn’t melt the harness? Do you have an OEM hitch with the associated wiring harness?

I have OEM steel bumpers, I read a review where someone says this fits with an aftermarket bumper. What bumper do you have?
I have an aftermarket hitch without a wiring harness. We have a Sahara with the stock bumper in the rear for now.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I live here in So cal and stopped by a local smog shop yesterday and showed them the picture of the exhaust that ends before the rear axle and they said No , Actually he said no way. If it’s factory single exhaust it has to remain single exhaust and they also will not crawl underneath the jeep to find the tail pipe to put their sensor in. I don’t know if he knew what he was talking about but he said that exhaust is illegal in CA . Exhaust must exit outside the body of the vehicle ?
What kind of smog place are you going to? The exhaust that ends before the axle does not eliminate any smog required components and is exempt from being “looked at” at by a smog inspector.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
What kind of smog place are you going to? The exhaust that ends before the axle does not eliminate any smog required components and is exempt from being “looked at” at by a smog inspector.
Sounds like you should check for yourself with your smog people. I went to a gold certified test only smog station in the San Fernando Valley.
The smog guy say's
If the vehicle originally came with single exhaust it must remain single exhaust, it is illegal to add a second catalytic converter or second tail pipe. There is a setting on the smog machine for single or dual exhaust. Fail
The exhaust must exit outside the Vehicle body, he said no smog station will go underneath the vehicle to find the exhaust outlet. And it’s illegal to have the exhaust exit underside the body due to carbon monoxide and smog.
It is legal to replace the exhaust from the catalytic converter back but you just can’t eliminate it from the catalytic converter back that is illegal.
We can test his theory just take a sawsall and cut your exhaust system off after the catalytic converter and take it in for a smog check if your right they should smog it no problem , if he’s right there gonna tell you to hit the road.
Looking forward to seeing what you find out from your smog people and if they’re OK with smogging it. I’m cool with the idea if they’ll give me a smog certificate.

Last edited:

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you should check for yourself with your smog people. I went to a gold certified test only smog station in the San Fernando Valley.
The smog guys say's
If the vehicle originally came with single exhaust it must remain single exhaust, it is illegal to add a second catalytic converter or second tail pipe. There is a setting on the smog machine for single or dual exhaust. Fail
The exhaust must exit outside the Vehicle body, he said no smog station will go underneath the vehicle to find the exhaust outlet. And it’s illegal to have the exhaust exit underside the body due to carbon monoxide and smog.
It is legal to replace the exhaust from the catalytic converter back but you just can’t eliminate it from the catalytic converter back that is illegal.
We can test his theory just take a sawsall and cut your exhaust system off after the catalytic converter and take it in for a smog check if your right they should smog it no problem , if he’s right there gonna tell you to hit the road.
Looking forward to seeing what you find out from your smog people and if they’re OK with smogging it. I’m cool with the idea if they’ll give me a smog certificate.
Thats fine and all but at what point is the axle back exhaust cutting before the cat? Its a single out exhaust same as stock just shorter. I have an axle back on mine and all it did was replace the muffler with a new muffler. Im either missing your point or im just really that dumb. Ive had plenty of exhausts cut with down pipes put on exiting to the underside my trucks that all pass smog just fine.
Sponsored