Recommendations: New wheels and tires impact to performance

Snokeman

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
New jeep owner, new to forum. Purchased a 2018 Wrangler Ulimited Sahara. Came with stock wheels and tires. After doing my own research on various sites I went with new 18 in wheels and 33 in Toyo Open Country III A/T (LT275/70R18). I did not lift the vehicle as I do not plan on doing major over road driving. Just wanted something that gave the jeep a more aggressive look and could handle some light trails. I have multiple questions. Looking for recomendations.
I understand that the bigger tire impacts the accuracy of the speedometer. Do majority of jeep owners correct this or just remain aware of the issue? Secondly, also read you can have the jeep tune adjusted to clear up the speedomerter issue, along with better shifting and performance with the bigger tires. Do a local Jeep dealership offer this or do you need to purcahse the module and complete the changes yourself? Is this something that should be done? Just looking for opinions and recomendations. Thanks

Jeep.jpg
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Do a local Jeep dealership offer this or do you need to purcahse the module and complete the changes yourself?
Depends on the dealership. Most people will make the adjustment themselves using a programmer.

Is this something that should be done?
If you want your vehicle to run properly with the larger tires, then yes. If you have an automatic transmission, your shift points will be off if the correct tire size is not accounted for.

Tyderian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0 Turbo
Clubs

This is almost the exact same setup I'm running, although I have yet to upgrade the wheels and tires. I have mostly the same questions, so I will be watching this thread :)
For my part, I'm considering 17" wheels and 33" tires, but the difference would be negligible since the tire would theoretically be the same size. Right?
What are those wheels you have? I feel like I see them everywhere...
New jeep owner, new to forum. Purchased a 2018 Wrangler Ulimited Sahara. Came with stock wheels and tires. I went with new 18 in wheels and 33 in Toyo Open Country III A/T (LT275/70R18)

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommendations: New wheels and tires impact to performance Jee
Sponsored