JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
There's

some sort of ham radio test they would like people to take but obviously, you can use it without the license.
I've searched and can't find anything about a video certification for a license to operate on ham bands. I know it's been a few years since I got my ticket, but I had to take the exams in front of an approved examiner. And yes, you can use ham without a license, but it's wrong to do and not legal. GMRS is a good alternative, no exam needed, the quality of communication is the same as ham, and the license is good for 10 years.

Idmt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly JLURD, now JLUR
I've searched and can't find anything about a video certification for a license to operate on ham bands. I know it's been a few years since I got my ticket, but I had to take the exams in front of an approved examiner. And yes, you can use ham without a license, but it's wrong to do and not legal. GMRS is a good alternative, no exam needed, the quality of communication is the same as ham, and the license is good for 10 years.

She was probably talking about the online testing on places like: http://www.arrl.org/findonlineexam

I tried to take my test a couple of months ago and the local test site referred me to this online testing link. I seemed to recall a 15min time limit for the Tech. I was able to schedule a test in just a couple of days and the system worked well. I think PARC was the one I used.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
She was probably talking about the online testing on places like: http://www.arrl.org/findonlineexam

I tried to take my test a couple of months ago and the local test site referred me to this online testing link. I seemed to recall a 15min time limit for the Tech. I was able to schedule a test in just a couple of days and the system worked well. I think PARC was the one I used.
WOW! Interesting and it makes sense. Thank you for letting me know. I learned something today. My day is complete.

Sponsored

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
Clubs

Your setup looks awesome!

Where do you have the BearCat mounted?
I've got both CB and GMRS and use both frequently. For the CB, I've got a Cooltech antenna kit with a Bearcat CMF 760. It works really well and takes up little space. I've also got the Midland MXT275 GMRS. Both have all the buttons and speaker in the mic. The Midland has a second speaker in the base, as well, that can be used at the same time, increasing volume. My big issue was to have them perform well in a compact package. They do both well. The Cooltech CB mount and antenna work particularly well with transmission/reception on the CB. I highy recommend them. Both of these radios have weather band, which is nice.

I use both because some Jeeps I run with use CB and some use GMRS. So CB still has a place. Plus, it does still occasionally come in handy on the highway, mainly for asking truckers which lane is open or just talking to them to kill some boredom.

d0FlrD3.jpg
I like the location of your CB mic. What mount is it? Is it Magnetic Mic? How is it mounted? Is it mounted with self-taping screws or through-bolted? I'm looking for a magnetic mount for that area that is strong enough to withstand rough roads and rock crawling without detaching while secure enough so the base plate doesn't eventually work loose from the Jeep. Thanks!

Last edited:

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if you all saw this. New license fees approved for ham and GMRS. For GMRS users, that is a 50% discount at $35 for 10 years and covers family.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2020/12/fcc-approves-new-ham-and-gmrs-license-fees.html
Ugh! I literally just paid $70 for my GMRS license two days ago! I wonder if the FCC will send me a refund for the difference? LOL

Actually, I just read the new fee structure ruling (FCC 20-184). It sounds like it might be a couple of months before the new fees are implemented. They need time to update all the various forms, websites, databases and documentation.

I knew they were talking about possibly lowering the fees a few months back, but I honestly never expected them to make a ruling so quickly.

Last edited:

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if you all saw this. New license fees approved for ham and GMRS. For GMRS users, that is a 50% discount at $35 for 10 years and covers family.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2020/12/fcc-approves-new-ham-and-gmrs-license-fees.html
WAIT... GMRS is still $70 for 10 years. FCC just published the request to change in the Federal Register for comments, then after 30 days becomes a new fee. So wait a week or two and check the site out. Start here to get a FRN #: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

Jeepadoodle

First Name
Kerwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe