Sponsored

Recommendation on a shop for re-gearing in Socal?

SurfJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Willys
GeForce Off-road in Buena Park does amazing work, he works out of his home for the time being but will warranty all the work he does, was the lead tech at some of the biggest shops here in SoCal and built a couple of the [Banned Site] rigs. He did my regear a couple of years ago and it’s been perfect, he’s done work for a few buddies of mine, all flawless, send me a message and I can give you his number.
Curious what the banned site you tried to post is...
Sponsored

MallBrawler

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JKR, '21 JLUR, '21 Tesla MYP, '22 4XE ordered
Occupation
Jeep Caretaker
I used these guys based on reviews. Bad decision. they quoted me labor only (I had the parts) and required a $100 deposit to make an appointment. thought this was very unusual, but based on the reviews I went ahead and paid it.

Dropped my Jeep off in the evening and they gave me no paper work and didn't want me to sign anything. I asked them to install my RCVs and new bump stops while it was apart, which they offered to do for no additional cost (I would have paid and asked how much more).

upon picking it up the invoice was double the original price quote with no explanation. I was VERY clear what I needed done when I called for quote and appointment. The boss was called into the office and obviously didn't care what I was quoted and said if I didn't want to pay it they'd reinstall my original gear sets (and presumably the other EOM parts) and I'd have to come back another day. there was no offer or explanation for what happened. They also didn't return my old parts, I had to ask for them. I drove from Torrance to Riverside to get this work done and wasn't interested in doing it a 3rd time. it was either pay or come back after undoing the work. I was pretty heated at this point and got them to drop the total price by $100 and took my Jeep (my wife had dropped me off 1/2 hour before). Following the break-in directions they gave me. surface streets as far as I could go, and slow freeway where I had to. as soon as I hit 45 MPH I got a mean vibration. they were closed and didn't respond to my call when I pulled over. they obviously never test drove it. the next day I called and told them I didn't want to drive it or cause damage, the website says they offer mobile service. they wouldn't come look at it or pay to get it towed. I must have called 6 or 7 times and was always told I'd get a call back. I NEVER got a call back once. I ended up calling my credit card company and disputed the charges. Premier did not respond and accepted the amount of the original quote. I have also had "service 4WD" warning lights and functional problems since that day, 2 different dealers and myself have been unsuccessful in figuring out what the root cause is. I decided to just drive it as they thought it was no big deal, and I still have the vibration. Its in the rear, I put it on stands and pulled the wheels and in 2WD the with only rear spinning it vibrates annoyingly.

People make mistakes, and I would have been happy had they corrected the vibration. but the way I was treated plus its not resolved, avoid this place.
Ouch! So sorry to hear about the issues. These guys post often and seem to be well received on the socal jeeps group.. really wonder what happened. I haven't regeared my jeep yet but your experience definitely wants me to take a pause and reassess!

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
High School Athletic Director/ Track Timer
I am looking at these Southern California shops to regear my JLUR since I live in the San Gabriel area. Anyone have an experience with any of these shops.
  • Offroad Customz (Glendale)
  • Crunch Offroad (Temple City)
  • Saint Offroad (Glendora)
  • RockTech Offroad (La Habra).
  • Premier West Gears (Riverside). @bikenutty I just read yours. So they haven't tried to fix it in any way? Their website states they offer a 1 year warranty on their labor.
I used Premier West Gears and had no issues at all. They got it done when they said and included the 500 mile oil change.
I have also heard that RB Motorsports in Riverside recently hired a guy to do gear changes as well. I've used them for a few things and been happy with their service.

DailyDouble

First Name
Niles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I used Premier West Gears and had no issues at all. They got it done when they said and included the 500 mile oil change.
I have also heard that RB Motorsports in Riverside recently hired a guy to do gear changes as well. I've used them for a few things and been happy with their service.
Rock Bottom Offroad in riverside did my gears, OX locker, and axle install in one go for the same price some other competitors were charging for just gears. had a great experience, cant recommend them enough. - no 500mile oil change tho.

neeesack

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I am looking at these Southern California shops to regear my JLUR since I live in the San Gabriel area. Anyone have an experience with any of these shops.
  • Premier West Gears (Riverside). @bikenutty I just read yours. So they haven't tried to fix it in any way? Their website states they offer a 1 year warranty on their labor.
Anyone have any update on this or recent experience with a regear in the SoCal area? I've been meaning to do this for some time now as I've been dealing with the sluggishness, and I'm thinking of finally pulling the trigger. Still haven't completely decided on 4.88s or 5.13s, I drive on the freeway a lot, no towing at the moment, but may in the future.

Sponsored

bikenutty

First Name
Cash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Silver 2018 Ford Raptor Crew Cab 2012 ZX10R 2007 FJR1300 2018 Honda NC750X 2015 Yamaha 212SS Jet Boat
Occupation
Facilities Engineering Lead
Recently found the FAD cover bolts missing, only 1 loose one left holding it on. Shabby work Premier!

only compounds how bad my experience was with this company.

$$

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Need advice and recommendations please.

3.0 ecodiesel, 3.5" MC lift and 37" tires.

Stock 3.73

What gearing is best? 4.56, 4.88, or 5.13?
She shifts fine and goes to 8th no issues at all. But obviously feels a tiny bit sluggish, and loss of mpg (to be expected, but said I can recover some with a regear), many either say 4.56 4.88 or 5.13 but won't say why. I'm more of a weekend warrior, and seldom rock crawl, more mountain trails or desert trails with some flexing on steep terrain/ruts.

Also, what's a reasonable price for parts and labor?
I'm in the San bernadino area but willing to drive for quality work that isn't expensive.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Stay the fuck away from RKHaus (Robert Haus), whatever you do. I know he was and is popular in the SoCal jeep community but he screwed up the regear on my XJ badly a couple years ago. Dude refused to stand behind his work. I had both diff’s nearly completely grenade because he didn’t set them up correctly. Then he tried to blame me for improper break in (bullshit), then said he doesn’t warranty his work and would charge me full pop to rebuild both diffs.

Eventually I had another actual reputable shop rebuild both diffs. They ran patterns on the bad setup first and inspected, confirmed it was a shit install.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Need advice and recommendations please.

3.0 ecodiesel, 3.5" MC lift and 37" tires.

Stock 3.73

What gearing is best? 4.56, 4.88, or 5.13?
She shifts fine and goes to 8th no issues at all. But obviously feels a tiny bit sluggish, and loss of mpg (to be expected, but said I can recover some with a regear), many either say 4.56 4.88 or 5.13 but won't say why. I'm more of a weekend warrior, and seldom rock crawl, more mountain trails or desert trails with some flexing on steep terrain/ruts.

Also, what's a reasonable price for parts and labor?
I'm in the San bernadino area but willing to drive for quality work that isn't expensive.
Were it me, I’d go to 4.56’s at most. Anything over that on the diesel is overkill IMO. I know Ratbert had his done with similar gearing when AEV did his install and he’s on 37’s. He seems pretty happy.

For a shop I’d hit up Ricky over at G-Force in Santa Ana. He’s done all my work on the JL so far and came highly recommended by a buddy in the industry. So far I’ve been extremely pleased with his work, plus the guy is really nice and doesn’t upsell. While I haven’t personally worked with Rocktech, a couple friends have and they speak highly of that shop as well.

Sponsored

mrpnicolas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Premier West Gears did my regear.

Rocktech for everything else I wanted done. Chris is awesome to deal with.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Anyone have any update on this or recent experience with a regear in the SoCal area? I've been meaning to do this for some time now as I've been dealing with the sluggishness, and I'm thinking of finally pulling the trigger. Still haven't completely decided on 4.88s or 5.13s, I drive on the freeway a lot, no towing at the moment, but may in the future.
I ordered my own gears from Yukon and had Brothers4x4 in Montclair regear my Jeep. They have also re geared my 76 pick up a couple years ago. I’ve had zero issues on either of them since. What size tire you running. I find that 4.88’s and my 37’s are a great matching setup.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

@SadRobot can tell you all about Offroad Customz…

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Were it me, I’d find a highly reputable shop that specializes in gearing. It’s something you don’t want done half assed or even a tiny mistake made because the consequences are harsh. I learned that the hard way.
Sponsored