Sponsored

Recommendation on a shop for re-gearing in Socal?

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Rocktech offroad in La Habra, Chris there does great work or Offroad Evolution, they did my gears and they've been perfect.
Sponsored

MallBrawler

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JKR, '21 JLUR, '21 Tesla MYP, '22 4XE ordered
Occupation
Jeep Caretaker
Havent had an experience with them yet but Premier West Gears in Riverside seem to be a good bunch of folks, many fb groups recommend them. They'd be on my short list when my JLUR arrives.

mrcmosx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JLU
Had mine done by Martin from Mobile Gear installers. I provided all the parts, Front and rear locker ARB locker and 4.88 Yukon gears with master installs. They only do the axle work and drop in the arb connection line. All the wiring and air lines to axle need to be run by your mechanic or do it yourself. They are used by Rebel Offroad and other high end shops in SoCal, why pay a markup when they will higher the same guy. As far as Premier gears is concerned, it is the nephew who started his own gig after quitting Mobile Gears.

Next time you are at your local off-road shop and know someone is getting a regear, check out what truck is parked outside... You might be surprised it is one of these two companies has been hired to do the job.

hsracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2DR JL Sport (Sold); 2022 JLU Sport S ordered
Had mine done by Martin from Mobile Gear installers. I provided all the parts, Front and rear locker ARB locker and 4.88 Yukon gears with master installs. They only do the axle work and drop in the arb connection line. All the wiring and air lines to axle need to be run by your mechanic or do it yourself. They are used by Rebel Offroad and other high end shops in SoCal, why pay a markup when they will higher the same guy. As far as Premier gears is concerned, it is the nephew who started his own gig after quitting Mobile Gears.

Next time you are at your local off-road shop and know someone is getting a regear, check out what truck is parked outside... You might be surprised it is one of these two companies has been hired to do the job.
How much did he charge you?

OP
OP
csspar

csspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Just posting a follow up for anyone interested. I went with Brothers 4x4 and had a good experience. They got the parts quick and got the work done quickly too. Paid less than I was budgeting for. Just finished the 500 mile break in and they changed the diff oil today (included in the price). Took about 20 min. I'd definitely use them for work in the future.

I'm very happy with 4.88s for my 6 speed with 35s. The overall gearing is a bit lower than what the Jeep had on stock tires, but I think it's what the 6 speed needs anyway. First gear is a little low, and at empty weight on level ground I can start in 2nd easily. I think it will be perfect when loaded up and with the drag from the RTT. At 80 mph I'm at about 3k rpm. At 70 the engine is right at the point where it begins making good torque, so I don't really need to downshift to accelerate slowly or go up hill. Before the regear I had to cruise in 4th gear at 65 and use 3rd for inclines. With the tent and a little headwind I would sometimes need 3rd just to maintain 65. Not fun lol.

To anyone with a 6 speed Sport on 35s, do the gears. You will not be disappointed.

Sponsored

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Just posting a follow up for anyone interested. I went with Brothers 4x4 and had a good experience. They got the parts quick and got the work done quickly too. Paid less than I was budgeting for. Just finished the 500 mile break in and they changed the diff oil today (included in the price). Took about 20 min. I'd definitely use them for work in the future.

I'm very happy with 4.88s for my 6 speed with 35s. The overall gearing is a bit lower than what the Jeep had on stock tires, but I think it's what the 6 speed needs anyway. First gear is a little low, and at empty weight on level ground I can start in 2nd easily. I think it will be perfect when loaded up and with the drag from the RTT. At 80 mph I'm at about 3k rpm. At 70 the engine is right at the point where it begins making good torque, so I don't really need to downshift to accelerate slowly or go up hill. Before the regear I had to cruise in 4th gear at 65 and use 3rd for inclines. With the tent and a little headwind I would sometimes need 3rd just to maintain 65. Not fun lol.

To anyone with a 6 speed Sport on 35s, do the gears. You will not be disappointed.
if you dont mind asking how much they charged you for whole upgrade ?
thank you

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Just done my Re-Gearing work done today by LUIS from Mobile Gear installer
he is very Professional and how fast he done the work ( 3 hour )
Zero noise , no wining , gear shift smooth as butter ,i got my Mpg back now!!
cant wait to finish break-in this
highly recommended !!

GRN JLLO

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F250, 2016 Ford Mustang GT PP, 1923 Ford T-Bucket Roadster, 1965 Ford Falcon
Offroadbully in Acton did mine. Family owned business with great customer service.

Sponsored

bikenutty

First Name
Cash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Silver 2018 Ford Raptor Crew Cab 2012 ZX10R 2007 FJR1300 2018 Honda NC750X 2015 Yamaha 212SS Jet Boat
Occupation
Facilities Engineering Lead
Havent had an experience with them yet but Premier West Gears in Riverside seem to be a good bunch of folks, many fb groups recommend them. They'd be on my short list when my JLUR arrives.
I used these guys based on reviews. Bad decision. they quoted me labor only (I had the parts) and required a $100 deposit to make an appointment. thought this was very unusual, but based on the reviews I went ahead and paid it.

Dropped my Jeep off in the evening and they gave me no paper work and didn't want me to sign anything. I asked them to install my RCVs and new bump stops while it was apart, which they offered to do for no additional cost (I would have paid and asked how much more).

upon picking it up the invoice was double the original price quote with no explanation. I was VERY clear what I needed done when I called for quote and appointment. The boss was called into the office and obviously didn't care what I was quoted and said if I didn't want to pay it they'd reinstall my original gear sets (and presumably the other EOM parts) and I'd have to come back another day. there was no offer or explanation for what happened. They also didn't return my old parts, I had to ask for them. I drove from Torrance to Riverside to get this work done and wasn't interested in doing it a 3rd time. it was either pay or come back after undoing the work. I was pretty heated at this point and got them to drop the total price by $100 and took my Jeep (my wife had dropped me off 1/2 hour before). Following the break-in directions they gave me. surface streets as far as I could go, and slow freeway where I had to. as soon as I hit 45 MPH I got a mean vibration. they were closed and didn't respond to my call when I pulled over. they obviously never test drove it. the next day I called and told them I didn't want to drive it or cause damage, the website says they offer mobile service. they wouldn't come look at it or pay to get it towed. I must have called 6 or 7 times and was always told I'd get a call back. I NEVER got a call back once. I ended up calling my credit card company and disputed the charges. Premier did not respond and accepted the amount of the original quote. I have also had "service 4WD" warning lights and functional problems since that day, 2 different dealers and myself have been unsuccessful in figuring out what the root cause is. I decided to just drive it as they thought it was no big deal, and I still have the vibration. Its in the rear, I put it on stands and pulled the wheels and in 2WD the with only rear spinning it vibrates annoyingly.

People make mistakes, and I would have been happy had they corrected the vibration. but the way I was treated plus its not resolved, avoid this place.

fjavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2020 JLUR 3.6 auto, 335 bmw
I am looking at these Southern California shops to regear my JLUR since I live in the San Gabriel area. Anyone have an experience with any of these shops.
  • Offroad Customz (Glendale)
  • Crunch Offroad (Temple City)
  • Saint Offroad (Glendora)
  • RockTech Offroad (La Habra).
  • Premier West Gears (Riverside). @bikenutty I just read yours. So they haven't tried to fix it in any way? Their website states they offer a 1 year warranty on their labor.

bikenutty

First Name
Cash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Silver 2018 Ford Raptor Crew Cab 2012 ZX10R 2007 FJR1300 2018 Honda NC750X 2015 Yamaha 212SS Jet Boat
Occupation
Facilities Engineering Lead
I am looking at these Southern California shops to regear my JLUR since I live in the San Gabriel area. Anyone have an experience with any of these shops.
  • Offroad Customz (Glendale)
  • Crunch Offroad (Temple City)
  • Saint Offroad (Glendora)
  • RockTech Offroad (La Habra).
  • Premier West Gears (Riverside). @bikenutty I just read yours. So they haven't tried to fix it anyway? Their website states they offer a 1 year warranty on their labor.
They wouldn't work with me at all other than me making more long distance trips, based on how I was treated, and the price suddenly being double, I wont return, takes 2 vehicles and its a long drive to top it off. If they hadn't made it my responsibility and picked up/repaired, I would probably be positive about them... except the price deception...

I am actually wanting to take mine elsewhere to get the gears pulled and figure out why I have this speed sensitive vibration. I had previously hit my rear driveshaft on the fuel tank cover and thought that maybe the re-gear changed the shaft speed and it was the cause. I replaced the driveshaft and it had no effect at all.

$$

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
GeForce Off-road in Buena Park does amazing work, he works out of his home for the time being but will warranty all the work he does, was the lead tech at some of the biggest shops here in SoCal and built a couple of the [Banned Site] rigs. He did my regear a couple of years ago and it’s been perfect, he’s done work for a few buddies of mine, all flawless, send me a message and I can give you his number.
Sponsored