Recommendation on a shop for re-gearing in Socal?

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Rocktech offroad in La Habra, Chris there does great work or Offroad Evolution, they did my gears and they've been perfect.

Advertisement

MallBrawler

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JKR, '19 JLUS, 19 JLUSS, Model S100D
Occupation
Jeep Caretaker
Havent had an experience with them yet but Premier West Gears in Riverside seem to be a good bunch of folks, many fb groups recommend them. They'd be on my short list when my JLUR arrives.

mrcmosx

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JLU
Had mine done by Martin from Mobile Gear installers. I provided all the parts, Front and rear locker ARB locker and 4.88 Yukon gears with master installs. They only do the axle work and drop in the arb connection line. All the wiring and air lines to axle need to be run by your mechanic or do it yourself. They are used by Rebel Offroad and other high end shops in SoCal, why pay a markup when they will higher the same guy. As far as Premier gears is concerned, it is the nephew who started his own gig after quitting Mobile Gears.

Next time you are at your local off-road shop and know someone is getting a regear, check out what truck is parked outside... You might be surprised it is one of these two companies has been hired to do the job.

hsracer

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2DR JL Sport
Had mine done by Martin from Mobile Gear installers. I provided all the parts, Front and rear locker ARB locker and 4.88 Yukon gears with master installs. They only do the axle work and drop in the arb connection line. All the wiring and air lines to axle need to be run by your mechanic or do it yourself. They are used by Rebel Offroad and other high end shops in SoCal, why pay a markup when they will higher the same guy. As far as Premier gears is concerned, it is the nephew who started his own gig after quitting Mobile Gears.

Next time you are at your local off-road shop and know someone is getting a regear, check out what truck is parked outside... You might be surprised it is one of these two companies has been hired to do the job.
How much did he charge you?

OP
csspar

csspar

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Just posting a follow up for anyone interested. I went with Brothers 4x4 and had a good experience. They got the parts quick and got the work done quickly too. Paid less than I was budgeting for. Just finished the 500 mile break in and they changed the diff oil today (included in the price). Took about 20 min. I'd definitely use them for work in the future.

I'm very happy with 4.88s for my 6 speed with 35s. The overall gearing is a bit lower than what the Jeep had on stock tires, but I think it's what the 6 speed needs anyway. First gear is a little low, and at empty weight on level ground I can start in 2nd easily. I think it will be perfect when loaded up and with the drag from the RTT. At 80 mph I'm at about 3k rpm. At 70 the engine is right at the point where it begins making good torque, so I don't really need to downshift to accelerate slowly or go up hill. Before the regear I had to cruise in 4th gear at 65 and use 3rd for inclines. With the tent and a little headwind I would sometimes need 3rd just to maintain 65. Not fun lol.

To anyone with a 6 speed Sport on 35s, do the gears. You will not be disappointed.

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Just posting a follow up for anyone interested. I went with Brothers 4x4 and had a good experience. They got the parts quick and got the work done quickly too. Paid less than I was budgeting for. Just finished the 500 mile break in and they changed the diff oil today (included in the price). Took about 20 min. I'd definitely use them for work in the future.

I'm very happy with 4.88s for my 6 speed with 35s. The overall gearing is a bit lower than what the Jeep had on stock tires, but I think it's what the 6 speed needs anyway. First gear is a little low, and at empty weight on level ground I can start in 2nd easily. I think it will be perfect when loaded up and with the drag from the RTT. At 80 mph I'm at about 3k rpm. At 70 the engine is right at the point where it begins making good torque, so I don't really need to downshift to accelerate slowly or go up hill. Before the regear I had to cruise in 4th gear at 65 and use 3rd for inclines. With the tent and a little headwind I would sometimes need 3rd just to maintain 65. Not fun lol.

To anyone with a 6 speed Sport on 35s, do the gears. You will not be disappointed.
if you dont mind asking how much they charged you for whole upgrade ?
thank you

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Just done my Re-Gearing work done today by LUIS from Mobile Gear installer
he is very Professional and how fast he done the work ( 3 hour )
Zero noise , no wining , gear shift smooth as butter ,i got my Mpg back now!!
cant wait to finish break-in this
highly recommended !!

Advertisement

Gibson Leatherworks

Advertisement