Recommendation for RTT and Mounting Rack

ginom

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Nissan Xterra
Hello, Just ordered a new JL Sahara and want to add roof top tent and refrigerator.
Please provide any recommendations based on your setup (i.e. good points , bad points, etc)
for a tent and mounting rack. I am leaning toward a hardshell. Any pictures would also be appreciated. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Congrats on your first post. Now if you look on top right corner , there is a "SEARCH icon" type RTT or Roof rack or whatever you looking for . Good luck

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, Just ordered a new JL Sahara and want to add roof top tent and refrigerator.
Please provide any recommendations based on your setup (i.e. good points , bad points, etc)
for a tent and mounting rack. I am leaning toward a hardshell. Any pictures would also be appreciated. Thank you for your help.
Congrats on the future Wrangler! You will find there are no shortage of opinions on this site. Way more information than 1 person can process for decision making. Just pay attention to a few key things and you should be fine.

Join some local groups. Watching others deploy, use, and put away their set up will teach you a lot about what you need for your personal style. How you intend to use it also matters a lot. For instance, I dont rock crawl so I havent needed a lift or oversized tires yet. I drive long distances to my destinations and do some camping. I focus my money on gear and continually improving that.

Research your own measurements but I think your Sahara has a curb weight around 4331 and a GVWR about 5500 lbs. This gives you capability to carry somewhere around 1200 pounds of people, cargo, food, and water. Make your decisions carefully around how much they weight and what you might need to trim in order to add something heavy. For instance, if you add a Goose Gear floor you can then remove your rear seats and subtract that weight.

My current set up is a Rubicon JL. This means I have a payload of around 1100 lbs due to added features already weighing me down. My roof rack is a Gobi Stealth model weighing in at 175lbs. My tent is 207lbs. I weigh 225 which leaves me with 483 pounds for all of my gear and 1 other passenger.

That being said, pay attention to the weight of the products you choose. My fuel economy went from 22-24 mpg from the dealer to around 12-14 when i'm traveling loaded down. That costs more in fuel as well.

Find some tent and rack configurations and post up here again with what you like. Let's review their pro's and con's. Then make your decision. Happy shopping!

IMG_4694.JPG

bravelion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Real Estate Investor
Will you be sleeping solo or with someone else or a dog? Number of people and duration of camp stays may also dictate fridge needs.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Overland_Texas said it in the best way possible. I have a Rhino Rack backbone and platform, 2" lift and 35s, and she is a thirsty beast. When it warms up here in CO, she is going on a diet for the summer. Bikini top and minimal tools etc.

If you have an opportunity to attend a show near you, I would recommend doing that, they not only provide an opportunity to get out and meet other like minded folks but see every possible setup imaginable. Also consider starting small and working up to something. I know there is a place here in CO that you can actually rent a RTT, to try before you decide on buying. Climbing up and down a ladder in the middle of the night is not something I am personally interested in.

https://www.overlandexpo.com/east
Sponsored