Sponsored

Recommendation For New Shocks as Comfortable as Factory Rubicon?

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I just put a set of ranchos 9000 on my jeep (rears) and the difference was huge for me. much more comfortable. Looking to probably swap out the fronts. Had the shocks adjusted to soft.
Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Oh yeah? I’ve read the Fox 2.0 are really stiff and not at all soft feeling on the road
I think you may have heard wrong. I’m running the 2.0’s on my Rubicon and they are far better than the oem shocks.

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
I'll be the weirdo here and recommend the Bilstein 5100's. I absolutely love mine and couldn't imagine going back to Rubicon shocks.

CNJLUR4xe

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe
I'll be the weirdo here and recommend the Bilstein 5100's. I absolutely love mine and couldn't imagine going back to Rubicon shocks.
I've had 3 sets of 5100s on other vehicles, but never on my Jeep. I had them on a GX470, GX460, and have them on my Duramax. I decided to step it up a notch on the Jeep to the AccuTune Fox 2.5s and don't regret it a bit, but the 5100s are dang good for the money.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
absolutely love the bilsteins that come with the AEV 2.5" kit.

Sponsored

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
I added the Teraflex ST1 kit on JLUR and now thinking about swapping shocks for longer travel. If I want to keep the comfort of OEM Rubicon shocks what is the recommendation? This Jeep will be 99% pavement so comfort comes first 👍🏻
The fox 2.0, out of the box, are pretty good but need some tuning. For the price they are a hard option to beat. Fox is the only ones that will revalve these, i believe.

The guys at @AccuTunedJL are a pleasure to work with. I would recommend anyone to them. If you don't desire a bigger shock, and just want comfort and peace of mind, go with their recommendation of the 2.0RR. Spend the money once. Even if it means spending a little more than you initially wanted to.

I got the 2.5 fox from them. The adjustability is super nice. You can actually feel a difference, in each step up or down, on both high and low speed adjusters. You can really dial them in. I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase, however, if you like to pick at everything, the DSC isn't for you. You can drive yourself mad adjusting 😂 One day you may like a really stiff and stuck to the road feel. The next you may want a more comfortable plush ride. When you go off road you may need more or less high or low speed depending on the terrain. My explanation may not be the best, i will just say these shocks are pretty amazing.

I wish i lived somewhere near them to have them tuned in person. I do feel they could be better(for me), and I'm not taking anything away from accutune. I am extremely picky, but realize that its not their job, to perfect what i want, without actually having my jeep there. I feel like it would be hard for me to translate what i feel and want vs what changes should or shouldn't be made. We all have our own idea of comfort and control. We all have our own idea of perfect. My setup will differ from everyone else's, and if i wasn't picky as hell, I'd say the next person would be ecstatic. Don't let this deter you. This is not a negative. I know i have options through accutune. It's not a worry or a dislike, it's more of a I'm lazy and haven't made an effort 😂😂

It's all in what you want. I would say if i hadnt had my mind set on the 2.5 for the adjustability, i would have the 2.0 RR from accutune. I will continue doing business with them for their customer service and knowledge. Don't forget you get a set of custom tuned shocks with a free revalve if you need it. They can service and supply you with what you need. They can repair or replace if you have any issues. One stop shop.

Goodluck, i know it can be nerve racking. Give them a call. Let them know what you want and what you need. They have options as far as tuning, and will set you up for added weight, tires, etc.

mweisslaw

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited
The Fox shocks that came with the Mopar 2" lift kit ride much better than the stock ones that came on my JLR.
So I have to disagree. Based on my experience (I have the Mopar lift), the Jeep rides harsher than it did before the lift. Looking at adjustable shocks to replace the Fox ones that came with the lift.

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
I think you may have heard wrong. I’m running the 2.0’s on my Rubicon and they are far better than the oem shocks.
Definitely agree. Just put on my Rubicon and not too firm at all.

Sponsored

UncleJimmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; 2016 Toyota Tundra
I know this thread is a little old, but since you seem to be running a unique combination of the Metalcloak lift, I wanted to ask you a few questions:
  • did you have to swap the front drive shaft with these shocks?
  • Are these Foxes valved specifically for MC? Did you buy them from them?
  • Is the travel still pretty good on these?
  • Any sag on the 2 door springs on your 4 door?
Thanks.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I know this thread is a little old, but since you seem to be running a unique combination of the Metalcloak lift, I wanted to ask you a few questions:
  • did you have to swap the front drive shaft with these shocks?
  • Are these Foxes valved specifically for MC? Did you buy them from them?
  • Is the travel still pretty good on these?
  • Any sag on the 2 door springs on your 4 door?
Thanks.
  • Did not replace front driveshaft.
  • Bought the shocks from Amazon, so no valving beyond what FOX does when they build them.
  • Scored a 700 on Metalcloak's CTI machine. Don't really know how that translates in the real world, but it works for me.
  • No sagging that I've noticed. If anything has at this point, it's consistent all the way around.

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommendation For New Shocks as Comfortable as Factory Rubicon? JLUR CTI

UncleJimmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Did not replace front driveshaft.
  • Bought the shocks from Amazon, so no valving beyond what FOX does when they build them.
  • Scored a 700 on Metalcloak's CTI machine. Don't really know how that translates in the real world, but it works for me.
  • No sagging that I've noticed. If anything has at this point, it's consistent all the way around.

Jeep Wrangler JL Recommendation For New Shocks as Comfortable as Factory Rubicon? JLUR CTI
Ok thanks, so what length/height did you buy for the Foxes? i.e. For which lift height?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Ok thanks, so what length/height did you buy for the Foxes? i.e. For which lift height?
I ordered the 985-24-177 for the front, and the 985-25-178 for the rear. Both are advertised for a 2”-3” lift.

Keep in mind that Amazon has incorrect product descriptions for these so I verified P/N on FOX’s website before I placed the order.

UncleJimmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the 985-24-177 for the front, and the 985-25-178 for the rear. Both are advertised for a 2”-3” lift.

Keep in mind that Amazon has incorrect product descriptions for these so I verified P/N on FOX’s website before I placed the order.
Thanks for the part numbers. Looks like Northridge has a set for 15% off.

You used the MC True Dual rate lift kit, correct? Anything else you would add/subtract to that? Seems with the softer, 2 door coils, and only 2.5" actual lift, I'm wondering if the ft/rr track bars are necessary? Also curious why they include FT UC arms instead of lowers control arms or brackets like other kits in that range use? Any thoughts on that?
Sponsored