Sponsored

Recommendation For New Shocks as Comfortable as Factory Rubicon?

Brock9281

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I added the Teraflex ST1 kit on JLUR and now thinking about swapping shocks for longer travel. If I want to keep the comfort of OEM Rubicon shocks what is the recommendation? This Jeep will be 99% pavement so comfort comes first 👍🏻
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I added the Teraflex ST1 kit on JLUR and now thinking about swapping shocks for longer travel. If I want to keep the comfort of OEM Rubicon shocks what is the recommendation? This Jeep will be 99% pavement so comfort comes first 👍🏻
Literally any other shock will be better than the Rubicon ones. Pick one.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The metal cloak rocksport shocks are valved very similar to the oem rubicon shocks. I’d say ride quality between the 2 is virtually unchanged. A higher end shock like the fox 2.0’s will feel firmer on the road, but settles the suspension almost immediately after a bump. The train tracks by my house create a pretty rough crossing. Crossing at ~55mph with the rock sports, they felt smoother but you could feel the oscillations for another 50-100’. Something like a big bump, small bump, smaller bump, tiny bump, back to smooth sailing. With the fox 2.0’s it’s more like BIG bump and back to smooth sailing. Some prefer the series of small bumps and some prefer the instant recovery. On the bright side, the rock sports are so cheap at under $300 for the whole set that you can’t really go wrong trying them. We ran ours for 30k miles before upgrading to the foxes. I prefer the more controlled suspension, but we tend to run higher speed trails and open desert as well as rock crawling. You can’t argue with the travel you gain from a budget set of rock sports though.
Jeep Wrangler JL Recommendation For New Shocks as Comfortable as Factory Rubicon? 20211003_105216
Jeep Wrangler JL Recommendation For New Shocks as Comfortable as Factory Rubicon? 20211003_105236

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
What about shock relocation? The stock Rubicon shocks are good, so can you still use them? If you're on road most of the time, are you compression or over-extending the stock shocks?

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Tuned Fox 2.0 RR shocks would get my vote for what you described. Not terribly expensive, tunable and serviceable. Is that ST1 lift a 1.5" spacer lift?

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
JT Gladiator fox shocks are much softer and smoother than JL Rubicon shocks. I love them in 99% of my driving.

Sponsored

CNJLUR4xe

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
The Fox shocks that came with the Mopar 2" lift kit ride much better than the stock ones that came on my JLR.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
For an OEM type shock with a better ride than stock........OLD MAN EMU. Many options based on height and weight....Give them a call.
Sponsored