Sponsored

Rechargeable tool system recommendations?

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Many years ago, i bought a Dewalt drill/impact combo 12v. Ive used the little 1/4" drive impact for tons of things. I have 2 sizes of Milwaukee 1/2" drive M18 impacts. The smaller one bridges the gap and seems to constantly wear a 3/8" drive reducer.
I use to use the 1/4” driver a lot but a little while back I bought a small DeWalt 1/2” impact ( max 150ftlbs) just for the wheels and smaller components, the big hi torque is used for the big jobs.
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I was a long time Dewalt fan/tool owner for the last 25 years. I’ve probably invested well over 4K with my current cordless collection. As of lately I’ve noticed their quality has dropped. I’ve never had so many newer tools fail. Primarily the cordless routers.
Im out and slowly making the transition to Milwaukee on my replacements. Couldn’t be happier. It’s a very noticeable higher build quality.
If I was a lot younger, I could see me migrating to Milwaukee but I have been a Dewalt guy for too long and too many tools. Can’t say I am unhappy because I have only toasted a couple of a long list of tools and have lots of batteries that are still treating me good.

UTME

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon-X Unlimited
I have Milwaukee and really like them. Impact, ratchet, grinder and inflator.

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I switched from makita to ryobi about 20 years ago. Never had any issues with any of their stuff. They have a large range of tools that work on their 18v system. I looked at HF for the future but they just dont offer nearly as much.

dewalt is great but $$. If i were a pro i would probably go with dewalt but for homeowner usage im more than happy with ryobi.

Sponsored

Gangplank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys 4dr
Build Thread
Link
Another Ryobi fan here. The wife bought me a set as a gift to replace a Craftsman set that was beat up. With the Ryobi days sales I now have every tool I need (and some I don’t. lol!). Big fan. Batteries last and they take a beating + the price is great.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Milwaukee. Nuff said. Pick up tools and batteries when they're on "special buy" at HD.

Occasionally, you can get good deals from other e-tailers.

My main problem with HFT/Hercules stuff is the weak/short warranties. Not that most warranties are worth much these days.
I use Milwaukee tools. I broke the m12 cordless ratchet. I mailed the tool back to them to fix. They sent me a new one. Milwaukee has a 5 year warranty and stand behind their tools.

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
If I was a lot younger, I could see me migrating to Milwaukee but I have been a Dewalt guy for too long and too many tools. Can’t say I am unhappy because I have only toasted a couple of a long list of tools and have lots of batteries that are still treating me good.
My brother and I are both Dewalt people although I recently learned I've been pronouncing it wrong my whole life. We always put the emphasis on the "De" part as in DEwalt instead of what it really is which I guess is deWALT. 🤣

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
My brother and I are both Dewalt people although I recently learned I've been pronouncing it wrong my whole life. We always put the emphasis on the "De" part as in DEwalt instead of what it really is which I guess is deWALT. 🤣
That sounds like the southern pronunciation.

Sponsored

Chris A

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Find AVE on YouTube he tears them apart and tells you what they did right and wrong. Note not G rated. I have Milwaukee but honestly they seem to be lowering their standards. Trigger switches that cat be replaced and batteries don’t seem to be as lasting. Personally I think Makita is the best made but limited product line. I purchased Dewalt when it first hit HD was in the repair shop at 6mons and dumpster at 12. They seem to be better now but I already moved on. Ridge as mentioned is about the same as Milwaukee ( same manufacturer) but I got tired of fighting with HD and there lifetime BS. Like HD selection but Lowes has better CS. I would search out the product line and go with the one who offers you the most appealing options for you.

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Find AVE on YouTube he tears them apart and tells you what they did right and wrong. Note not G rated. I have Milwaukee but honestly they seem to be lowering their standards. Trigger switches that cat be replaced and batteries don’t seem to be as lasting. Personally I think Makita is the best made but limited product line.
AvE is in another class of tool reviews for sure. Based on his tear downs I agree that Makita seems to be the best build quality but also agree that the lack of selection limits the appeal. Milwaukee batteries have been doing fine for me, producing all the magic pixies I need out of the jeezless thing. :)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Milwaukee batteries have been doing fine for me, producing all the magic pixies I need...
That settles it. I'll now refer to my M12 batteries as Magic Pixies.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rechargeable tool system recommendations? 20240521_163959

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

My buddy just told me that Rigid replaced his 15+ year old hammer drill under warranty. They sent him a prepaid label and box to ship it back. They determined it couldnt be fixed, so they sent him a brand new one.

he said he’s had his 15 year old rigid batteries replaced under warranty as well. He said HD has been good before but recently gave him a hassle. He said they referred him directly to Rigid who was great to deal with. He said Rigid told him HD is not longer directly covering the warranty claims and now just refer people to Rigid.

you do need to register the product when you buy it.
Sponsored