Sponsored

Recently Lifted. Couple of questions...

Kmarc86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Bottom Line Up Front: Does it matter what side the blue versus red coil springs are mounted on? (Details and Pics below)

Hey, first time poster here... I bought a 2020 Willys Wrangler earlier this year and immediately started saving up to lift it. Eventhough JEEP seems pretty flexible on modifications, I went with the MOPAR 2 inch lift via dealer install in Hope's that I may avoid any future warranty problems. I also added front and rear adjustable track bars and they were also installed at the dealer.

The install was eventful... it took way longer than it should because the dealer mechanic told me I REQUIRED wheel spacers to run the lift with stock wheels and tires. I said no and the folks at MOPAR backed me up... it got worked out. (Basically a whole other story)

After the lift and track bars were installed, I drove home and I love this new ride height and handling! But, I perseverate on details, so I decided to climb around and under it to check out the install...

I noticed that red tag spring is on the front passenger side and the blue tag spring is on the driver side. The rear springs are installed blue on passenger / red on driver. The springs seem to be sitting correctly in the perch. I don't feel like going back to the dealer to hash this out, so I thought I'd ask you guys first. Any mechanics out there who could lend advice?

20201017_085347.jpg

20201017_085406.jpg

20201016_180156.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kmarc86

Kmarc86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Bottom Line Up Front: Does it matter what side the blue versus red coil springs are mounted on? (Details and Pics below)

Hey, first time poster here... I bought a 2020 Willys Wrangler earlier this year and immediately started saving up to lift it. Eventhough JEEP seems pretty flexible on modifications, I went with the MOPAR 2 inch lift via dealer install in Hope's that I may avoid any future warranty problems. I also added front and rear adjustable track bars and they were also installed at the dealer.

The install was eventful... it took way longer than it should because the dealer mechanic told me I REQUIRED wheel spacers to run the lift with stock wheels and tires. I said no and the folks at MOPAR backed me up... it got worked out. (Basically a whole other story)

After the lift and track bars were installed, I drove home and I love this new ride height and handling! But, I perseverate on details, so I decided to climb around and under it to check out the install...

I noticed that red tag spring is on the front passenger side and the blue tag spring is on the driver side. The rear springs are installed blue on passenger / red on driver. The springs seem to be sitting correctly in the perch. I don't feel like going back to the dealer to hash this out, so I thought I'd ask you guys first. Any mechanics out there who could lend advice?

Jeep Wrangler JL Recently Lifted. Couple of questions... 20201016_180156

P.s. I know my JL is skipping leg day. I am picking out wheels and 35s soon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kmarc86

Kmarc86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
I had to google that.

Also, I love that tall lifted look. I dont like the fat tire look but they do run better on trails.

Lastly, your springs are backwards.
Hahaha! Sorry about the unnecessary googling. Hey, thanks for confirming. I'm taking it back on Monday... so much for "knowing it is done right" at the dealer.

OP
OP
Kmarc86

Kmarc86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
So the dealer mechanic is stating that the instructions are inaccurate. Any thoughts on that? I've never heard that.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm far from an expert, going from memory of what I've read on here, and trying to paraphrase so... My understanding is the number on the spring corresponds to how much lift you'll get. The higher the number the higher the lift. Obviously the front springs will be lower than the rear springs and the passenger side spring will be higher than the drivers side (to offset the weight of the fuel tank I presume). This thread isn't the last word by any means but is an excellent resource. Note at the top of the table there is a small legend "Larger number goes on the passenger side (FD, FP, RD, RP)" I've verified the data in this table with what I found on ours. Good luck.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-0-jlur-factory-spring-part-numbers.43915/

To answer your last question - I think it's installed incorrectly and you may want to start with taking that image chevymitchell provided to the service manager. Follow that with looking at any jeep on the lot. The springs all have part number stickers and you'll see they all follow the same pattern.

Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
So the dealer mechanic is stating that the instructions are inaccurate. Any thoughts on that? I've never heard that.
I work for an auto dealer. There are instructions for everything. Ask to see their documents showing the updated procedures. We could be wrong.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
So if the instructions are incorrect, where is he getting his info from?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Ask the mechanic to show you, in writing, what procedure he is looking at that is different than what MOPAR is publishing to all consumers and quadratec has published on the web.

somebody is wrong and Im guessing it isn’t Mopar.

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
On a different lift package, I had to have the mechanic call the lift manufacturer to prove that there was a difference between the right and left springs because they installed them backwards. I spoke to someone at a Mopar shop - the springs from Mopar on the lift package they sell are different from side to side as well.

The mechanic you have who is saying the instructions are incorrect is wrong. I suggest telling your mechanic to correct the install or take it somewhere that will correct the install, and send them the bill.

Terry

OP
OP
Kmarc86

Kmarc86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Yeah, dealing with them is a nightmare... I appreciate everyone's advice. I go to the shop this afternoon and square it away.
Sponsored