Sponsored

Recent 2021 JLUR's shipped without passenger ambient footwell lighting?

AKA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just checking, as I was surprised to discover my 2021 JLUR produced in late January didn't have passenger side ambient lighting, as the LED module installed by the factory PN: 68346812AB (which only supports door-open courtesy lighting, but not ambient lighting) is the one meant for the Sport family; and unfortunately the correct one which supports both isn't yet available for purchase through Mopar; so presumably the factory ran out of inventory of the correct module, and used the module meant for the Sport in its place?
---
Update: found what I believe to be the correct part: 68346813AB, so will see if I can get the dealer to get the part swapped for the correct one.
---
Conclusion: The incorrect module was in fact installed during production, it was swapped out with the correct one noted above, and everything now works as expected.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

So does it not have any lighting at all in the wheel well? My 2021 JLUR has lighting on both sides. The floor lighting stays on at night even when driving. I have yet to really figure out what the difference is between the two dials for lighting on the dashboard though... Neither shuts off the lighting in the footwell.

OP
OP

AKA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So does it not have any lighting at all in the wheel well? My 2021 JLUR has lighting on both sides. The floor lighting stays on at night even when driving. I have yet to really figure out what the difference is between the two dials for lighting on the dashboard though... Neither shuts off the lighting in the footwell.
The door-open courtesy lighting (which turns off when the door is closed) works fine on both sides, but ambient lighting (controlled by the left wheel when the headlights are turned on), doesn't work on the passenger side because the wrong led lighting module was installed, as noted above.

Update: To be clear, I'm referring to foot-well ambient lighting in the passenger compartment.

Last edited:

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I wonder if i can install those lighting modules in my Sport to get ambient lighting?

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I wonder how that passed inspection? One of these is not like the other...

Last edited:

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have a loaded 2019 Sahara and have seen the ambient lighting on my build sheet but I’ve tried a few times and I can tell you that one of those wheel buttons doesn’t do a damn thing. I’ve tried fooling with those wheels at night while waiting for the wife. I must’ve got the wrong module too. I just shrugged it off and moved on.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I ordered a JLUR with LED light group, safety and advanced safety, cold weather, tow, etc. should it come with ambient wheel well lighting?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a JLUR with LED light group, safety and advanced safety, cold weather, tow, etc. should it come with ambient wheel well lighting?
Yes, I believe so. Just to be on the same page, the wheel well is outside the Jeep. We’re really talking about the footwell inside correct?
As I stated earlier one of those wheel switches dims the dash lights, radio and opens the dome lights. The other does nothing. I was just thinking, I always leave my lights on “auto”. I wonder if I use them manually if the wheel well lights would then work? Either way the auto lights feature is great. I’d never use manual as you don’t have to touch anything. The Jeep turns on the lights as needed.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Yes, I believe so. Just to be on the same page, the wheel well is outside the Jeep. We’re really talking about the footwell inside correct?
As I stated earlier one of those wheel switches dims the dash lights, radio and opens the dome lights. The other does nothing. I was just thinking, I always leave my lights on “auto”. I wonder if I use them manually if the wheel well lights would then work? Either way the auto lights feature is great. I’d never use manual as you don’t have to touch anything. The Jeep turns on the lights as needed.
Yes footwell, inside the vehicle. My fault

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
My 2021 loaded JLUR has it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

AKA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I wonder if i can install those lighting modules in my Sport to get ambient lighting?
To the best of my understanding (although may be wrong), the sport wiring harness only supplies two wires (courtesy power, and ground), vs the three (ambient power, courtesy power, and ground) required by the modules which support both ambient and courtesy foot-well lighting.

But things change, so if you see three wires feeding your foot-well led modules, it may be worth a try.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yes, the Sahara’s and Rubicon’s that have the ambient lighting will have the small footwell LED modules with connectors that have three wires. One will be the ambient light positive wire and I used this wire to add red ambient lighting to the interior of my rubicon and it all still dims with the left-hand scroller next to the light switch. So yes, the harness should have three wires (door pos, ambient pos, and ground) if you have the footwell ambient lighting in your jeep.

Edit: I can also provide information on wire colors and their functions if others have plans to modify their ambient lighting system.

Stacey616

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wonder how many Jeeps out there are like that and owners haven’t even noticed.
I think I have one of those Jeeps...it is in getting new bumpers at the moment so I can't look but believe I should have it!