Sponsored

Received 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL hood by mistake

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
Latest update (Oct. 10):

The recycling yard asked to have it back. I wanted to save it but unfortunately I'm not made of money and have an expensive wall art that would only serve as a conversation piece. I was told it's going back to FCA.

Original post (Oct. 1):

Well I purchased what I thought was a 2014 hard rock/10a hood from and known good recycler in the Detroit area. The guy there was very helpful with sending pics before the sale so I could see what I was getting and getting it freight shipped to me in 3 days. Got the hood unpacked and went to install today only to find out the hood I bought is almost 2 inches longer than my stock hood.

There are no VIN stickers or Mopar stamped part numbers on this hood (which is not the norm for Jeep/Mopar). The place I purchased from is near Chelsea proving grounds and the guy there thinks there "might have been a mix up". If you've read any info at all on the new JL you'll see that they are messing around with the cowl/windshield/A pillar area so.......

This hood came as you see it, painted, stickered and outfitted, out of Detroit from a recycler and that recycler told me there location is close to the Chelsea proving grounds and they receive vehicles to part out from FCA.

wrangler-jl-hood-1.jpg

wrangler-jl-hood-2.jpg
wrangler-jl-hood-3.jpg
wrangler-jl-hood-4.jpg
wrangler-jl-hood-5.jpg
wrangler-jl-hood-6.jpg
wrangler-jl-hood-7.jpg

image1.JPG

Here's the smoking gun...... JL prototype with longer hood.

image3.JPG
Sponsored

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
Latest update (Oct. 10):

The recycling yard asked to have it back. I wanted to save it but unfortunately I'm not made of money and have an expensive wall art that would only serve as a conversation piece. I was told it's going back to FCA.
Wow that's the most telling indication that this is really something that shouldn't have been sent :) Definitely sounds more like it could be the JL hood.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Nice find! If you guys remember this recent JL prototype featured a longer hood so not surprised to see that there might be longer JL hoods floating out there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Received 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL hood by mistake {filename}

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Going back to FCA huh? Me thinks you were the first ever JL Wrangler (partial) owner :)

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I have to admit it looks nice! Gives me hope that the new Wrangler Rubicon will look more agressive!

Sponsored

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
I just saw this on Jalopnik and a few other sites. They contacted Jeep and "Jeep responded with no comment on the matter" ....

Very interesting if true that it actually got Rubicon printed on it too.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The rubber pads don't make sense if it's for a JL, since they're eliminating the fold down windscreen. Was it aluminum? Another qualifier for being JL. Could be for a 2017 JK with a 2" shorter cowl perhaps.

OP
OP
Redrockjk

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
I guess technically I was the first partial owner of a JL :D

Flite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKR, Porsche 911 Turbo, F-350, Mazda Miata RF
The rubber pads don't make sense if it's for a JL, since they're eliminating the fold down windscreen. Was it aluminum? Another qualifier for being JL. Could be for a 2017 JK with a 2" shorter cowl perhaps.
The JL prototypes running around all have the rubber pads too don't they?

OP
OP
Redrockjk

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler

I'm sure FCA will keep them on there so all us wrangler guys don't freak out and to keep the iconic look.......no this hood was not aluminum and I wouldn't expect a preproduction part to be so.....I work at a jeep dealer and we have 20 2017s and nothing has changed other than led headlights and fog lights

Sponsored

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I'm sure FCA will keep them on there so all us wrangler guys don't freak out and to keep the iconic look.......no this hood was not aluminum and I wouldn't expect a preproduction part to be so.....I work at a jeep dealer and we have 20 2017s and nothing has changed other than led headlights and fog lights
Yep and the rubber pads are still present on the JL Wrangler prototypes too. You can see them in the pic posted earlier in this thread which had the new longer hood.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Yep and the rubber pads are still present on the JL Wrangler prototypes too. You can see them in the pic posted earlier in this thread which had the new longer hood.
Good catch. So it looks like OP probably got one of the mule hoods instead of a production spec one which would explain why it's not aluminum.

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
That hood also could have been installed on a mule that was mostly JK part, including the windshield.

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
That hood also could have been installed on a mule that was mostly JK part, including the windshield.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The hood looks like a little too JK to be JL.
Actually what I meant was the fact that the hood had rubber pads doesn't necessarily mean that it's a JK hood. The rubber pads could have been added to the JL hood for purposes of being fitted on an early-stage frankenstein prototype which featured both JK and JL parts.
Sponsored