Sponsored

Received 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL hood by mistake

JLtherig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU (future)
Actually what I meant was the fact that the hood had rubber pads doesn't necessarily mean that it's a JK hood. The rubber pads could have been added to the JL hood for purposes of being fitted on an early-stage frankenstein prototype which featured both JK and JL parts.
Seems like we both agree that that's not a production JL hood.
Sponsored

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
does this recycler have any prototype diesel engines?? ;)

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
One thing that surprises me is that besides the length of the hood it seems like it would be a perfect fit. I was sort of hoping it would be more of a pinched hood like the TJ's where the hood extends downwards more and wraps around the grill. Love that retro look. Ah well.

Sponsored

Shawn Ash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
That hood also could have been installed on a mule that was mostly JK part, including the windshield.
Fact that this hood bolted onto the OP's JK but is just longer goes to show how close the JL might be to the JK structurally. In some ways I’m relieved that they’re not gonna make the Wrangler a mall crawler and in some ways I’m a little disappointed that not much will change?

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
Just catching up with this story now but first question that came to mind is why would any manufacturer send a prototype part to a scrapyard?

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if I missed it but besides looking different, any other the signifiance of the longer hood?

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
Just catching up with this story now but first question that came to mind is why would any manufacturer send a prototype part to a scrapyard?
Car companies build tons of prototype cars that never go on sale and need to be disposed of after testing is complete. So they send them to the scrapyard to get scrapped. They're not supposed to resell any of the prototypes parts but this one apparently decided it was ok :) Wouldn't be surprised if FCA terminated their business relationship after this.

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Sorry if I missed it but besides looking different, any other the signifiance of the longer hood?
Yes - to fit the new 8 speed transmission. Reason we haven't seen Wranglers updated with the 8 speed yet is it supposedly doesn't fit the current body.
Sponsored