Sponsored

Recall Y-95 Steering Assist - What is that?

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I went to my dealership for an oil change and when I was leaving they told me that they also did a recall. Looking at the paperwork it shows as:
Recall Per Factory
Performed Recall Y-95 Restored BCM Config
LOP # 18-Y9-51-82

I had the steering box upgraded sometime ago. So what is this? Anyone can tell me? Asking the service advisor he said it's a body control thing... I suspect he is talking about the control arm? Anyhow... It's puzzling to me.

Photo of Rhonda because she is good looking!

Onward4x4-Rhonda-2.png
Sponsored

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
I just got this letter in the mail today. It appears relating to the steering issue that when it is cold and at highway speed, the steering wheel “lock” and wasn’t able to complete the turn. I know mine was fixed long ago via a software update. I’m not sure if this calibration is a physical adjustment or another software update. Only apply for some 2018 models.

93D47F77-F153-49DC-82CA-564D8591D7E3.jpeg

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rwaltonphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I just got this letter in the mail today. It appears relating to the steering issue that when it is cold and at highway speed, the steering wheel “lock” and wasn’t able to complete the turn. I know mine was fixed long ago via a software update. I’m not sure if this calibration is a physical adjustment or another software update. Only apply for some 2018 models.

Jeep Wrangler JL Recall Y-95 Steering Assist - What is that? 93D47F77-F153-49DC-82CA-564D8591D7E3
Received the same letter and my 2018 Rubicon was experiencing that issue when it was cold. The steering was a bit tight when I tried to make slight corrections in steering. It wasn't hard to steering or anything, but I could definitely feel it being a bit tight on curves and just changing lanes, but not turning. Only happened when it was cold. Took the dealership about 30 minutes and I was outta there. I tested it the following morning when the temps were in the 30's and it seemed to fix the issue. Will keep an eye on it though.

Ga. Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Y95 Recall. Just had our 2018 JL Wrangler at dealership for the recall, and after they did the software upgrade, lost heat and A/C in the car. Dealership has talked with the engineers at Jeep and they don't know what happened, but are now recommending a new body control module in order to restore the heat and A/C. None of the buttons and controls are responding and the service department says that the car is not recognizing the heat and A/C! They think that others are experiencing same problem with this recall.

Sponsored

Ga. Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Just had this recall fix and it knocked out the heat and A/C to Jeep! Problem with the recall.

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rwaltonphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Received the same letter and my 2018 Rubicon was experiencing that issue when it was cold. The steering was a bit tight when I tried to make slight corrections in steering. It wasn't hard to steering or anything, but I could definitely feel it being a bit tight on curves and just changing lanes, but not turning. Only happened when it was cold. Took the dealership about 30 minutes and I was outta there. I tested it the following morning when the temps were in the 30's and it seemed to fix the issue. Will keep an eye on it though.
*Update: The temps here were in the 20's this morning. Took the Jeep for another test drive and the problem still persists. The "fix" did not knock out my A/C and heat, but the tightening of the steering is still happening on the lane changes and going around curves.

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Received a message from my dealership for this recall. I’m going to pass on this one.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Ive had 3 steering boxes, just recently even with the steel one my steering still locks up, i physically cannot turn it left when going down the road at any speed when its cold outside. I can hang from the steering wheel and it will not budge, and then it will release while im trying to turn and make a sharp left turn causing you to over correct for the abrupt change. Its fucking terrible

ezacarias

First Name
Ericson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL, 2013 Dodge Ram SLT
I just got the letter on the mail as well. Is this a required work? I'd hate to bring it in and cause more issues.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

sounds like just a BCM software update

Five

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JL
Went in for an oil change and they did this Y95 steering assist recall / "repair" and didn't tell me. Without looking at the paper work I noticed in the first turn something wasn't right. When I got home I saw it on the service receipt. Killed the road feel of the vehicle. Instead of a rack and pin sporty feel, it's now like a soulless power steering buick. They increased the power assist too much and I can't feel the road. Can't tell on the hwy but slower speed turns is terrible. Can't wait to go on a trail /s

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I got this done today when I had it in for replacement of bad variable valve lift solenoid seals. I didn't feel a difference, at all afterward. But I never felt a problem in the first place, so all seems good.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
I have an appointment today to get this fixed. I generally wouldn't seeing some of the comments, but I have this steering problem and it is getting worse. I guess the upside is, if they mess up something when they do the work, they have to fix it...I hope.
Sponsored