Sponsored

Recall V88 2018-2020 Rear Quarter Windiws

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Who says defective design? Just modifying because some people don't read instructions on how to install them. If you think they are defective why not hire an attorney and sue Jeep?
I'm primarily referring to the two tabs on the rear window. I have the original version with the black tabs, which are way too short for many owners. They never stay in more than an hour or two. It's not user error. They're simply too short. That's why the green ones on the revised part are way longer. So, the design of the original window tabs is deficient enough for FCA to redesign it for future models. I don't need an attorney to have a dealership replace them just as they would with the defective steering damper recall. Granted, it's more of an annoyance with the tabs than the dreaded Death Wobble caused by the old dampers for many Jeeps. Still, for $50k, I expect everything to work properly.
Sponsored

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Sorry, I dont have P/Ns but heres a pic of my drivers side quarter window. Same material for the tabs on both sides and the rear.

20200416_130800.jpg
My Jeep is an early 2019 premium tan top w/black tabs ordered the day after the order banks opened. The passenger side quarter window is nearly as bad as this pic without my assistance. The driver side does it as well but not as bad. They are installed correctly, I tuck them back quite often. The passenger side actually flaps at the bottom if windows or sunrider are open, never have had it blow out though. I took the Jeep in a week ago for the V41 recall (they installed the damper properly) I mentioned the window & how it flaps at the bottom, I made sure I didn't tuck them back before I went. I told them "I want to bring this to their attention, it hasn't blown out on the freeway yet but I want to cover my azz. If it does & causes an accident I can say I brought it to their attention & attempted to have something done to prevent any accident or problems". After they looked it over and checked it was installed properly they asked to leave overnight as it would take awhile for a response from FCA. When I picked it up the next day I was told both quarter windows would be replaced under warranty, I don't need to call just bring my Jeep in! In a week I'll have new quarter windows that will stay under the retainer. :like:

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm primarily referring to the two tabs on the rear window. I have the original version with the black tabs, which are way too short for many owners. They never stay in more than an hour or two. It's not user error. They're simply too short. That's why the green ones on the revised part are way longer. So, the design of the original window tabs is deficient enough for FCA to redesign it for future models. I don't need an attorney to have a dealership replace them just as they would with the defective steering damper recall. Granted, it's more of an annoyance with the tabs than the dreaded Death Wobble caused by the old dampers for many Jeeps. Still, for $50k, I expect everything to work properly.
Dream on because $300,000 Bentleys also have problems. Anything mechanical made by man is going to have some problems. My tabs stay in fine, hard to get out sometimes.

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Jeep is an early 2019 premium tan top w/black tabs ordered the day after the order banks opened. The passenger side quarter window is nearly as bad as this pic without my assistance. The driver side does it as well but not as bad. They are installed correctly, I tuck them back quite often. The passenger side actually flaps at the bottom if windows or sunrider are open, never have had it blow out though. I took the Jeep in a week ago for the V41 recall (they installed the damper properly) I mentioned the window & how it flaps at the bottom, I made sure I didn't tuck them back before I went. I told them "I want to bring this to their attention, it hasn't blown out on the freeway yet but I want to cover my azz. If it does & causes an accident I can say I brought it to their attention & attempted to have something done to prevent any accident or problems". After they looked it over and checked it was installed properly they asked to leave overnight as it would take awhile for a response from FCA. When I picked it up the next day I was told both quarter windows would be replaced under warranty, I don't need to call just bring my Jeep in! In a week I'll have new quarter windows that will stay under the retainer. :like:
That was my experience as well. If there are newer, improved windows, why not have one's old ones replaced for free? I don't get why someone would be defending FCA's faulty original design here. Yeah, I get that even new Bentleys have problems. Yet, I'm sure when a Bentley owner goes to the dealership with some issue, the dealership has it addressed properly. They don't tell the owner "a bunch of other people's Bentleys DON'T have this issue, so live with it!" Granted, a Wrangler is not a Bentley. However, a $50k JLR isn't some cheap, entry level car either. For that amount of money, one should expect a certain level of service.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
That was my experience as well. If there are newer, improved windows, why not have one's old ones replaced for free? I don't get why someone would be defending FCA's faulty original design here. Yeah, I get that even new Bentleys have problems. Yet, I'm sure when a Bentley owner goes to the dealership with some issue, the dealership has it addressed properly. They don't tell the owner "a bunch of other people's Bentleys DON'T have this issue, so live with it!" Granted, a Wrangler is not a Bentley. However, a $50k JLR isn't some cheap, entry level car either. For that amount of money, one should expect a certain level of service.
This is just me guessing, but those tabs look to be the same size, just green. My guess is FCA decided bright, ugly ass green tabs would stand out more, letting people know if they could see them, they didnā€™t install the windows properly.

Sponsored

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is just me guessing, but those tabs look to be the same size, just green. My guess is FCA decided bright, ugly ass green tabs would stand out more, letting people know if they could see them, they didnā€™t install the windows properly.
You could be right about the garish new color on the tabs. I wonder if the new ones are any thicker than the old ones, if not bigger on the side windows. On the rear window, the green ones are definitely way bigger than the old black ones, at least on my Jeep. Someone posted comparison pics of the two designs earlier. I think that's why they don't stay in for me and many other Jeep owners. I'm willing to bet that there are also plenty of owners who have the black ones that were sewn to the canvas a bit closer to the edge of the tab, leaving more tab exposed and that's why the tabs stay in for them.

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
You could be right about the garish new color on the tabs. I wonder if the new ones are any thicker than the old ones, if not bigger on the side windows. On the rear window, the green ones are definitely way bigger than the old black ones, at least on my Jeep. Someone posted comparison pics of the two designs earlier. I think that's why they don't stay in for me and many other Jeep owners. I'm willing to bet that there are also plenty of owners who have the black ones that were sewn to the canvas a bit closer to the edge of the tab, leaving more tab exposed and that's why the tabs stay in for them.
I'D SAY YOU WERE RIGHT ON TARGET, AND GREEN IS IDIOT PROOF AS WELL

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
On the rear window, the green ones are definitely way bigger than the old black ones, at least on my Jeep. Someone posted comparison pics of the two designs earlier. I think that's why they don't stay in for me and many other Jeep owners.
And in that thread some guys with the newer design say they canā€™t get the tabs out... IIRC one guy said heā€™s cut his finger wrestling with them. LOL. Weā€™re damned either way, I guess.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
So, is this just JLs with soft tops? I have ONLY a hard top and I still got the V88 campaign notice in my app. FCA, get your crap together.
The recall comes with an owners manual insert. They just want people to add the insert to their manuals, which shows detailed info and pics on how to install side widows so they donā€™t blow out on the highway.

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
Good info here. I received the notice yesterday but didn't open it yet. Waiting for the envelope to be clear of any potential coronavirus.

Sponsored

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Dream on because $300,000 Bentleys also have problems. Anything mechanical made by man is going to have some problems. My tabs stay in fine, hard to get out sometimes.
The rear window tabs were lengthened on the 19s.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The rear window tabs were lengthened on the 19s.
i bought mine from parts department since they don't have dual top option on 2 doors. Don't know when my top was actually made.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
i bought mine from parts department since they don't have dual top option on 2 doors. Don't know when my top was actually made.
No worries.

It was a common problem with 18s. FCA swears itā€™s not a defect and refused to replace a lot of peopleā€™s, mine included. I donā€™t even bother clipping them in anymore since they pop out shortly afterwards.