Recall U62 - Cruise Control / PCM Issue For 2018 Jeep Wrangler

JessieGirl

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
My dealer scheduled me for Monday afternoon, June 18th.
Yeah, I knew people were getting in right away. Maybe my dealership is just that booked up. Ha! I was just so shocked when they told me September, I said okay and walked away. :cwl:
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Got the U62 recall, PCM flash this morning. Tech had the vehicle for 15 mins and it was done.

Called yesterday in the Am and went in this morning.

sm16

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 2016 BMW X6M
Got the U62 recall, PCM flash this morning. Tech had the vehicle for 15 mins and it was done.

Called yesterday in the Am and went in this morning.
Same here. It took them 20 mins to complete.
I asked them to also check the excessive play in the steering wheel and the tech’s response was, that’s how the JLs drive and the 35” Ridge Grapplers add to the loose feel. I didn’t have time to get into an argument at that point, so I’ll deal with it on my next visit.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Mine was in for the Mopar spring perch, they did the update while I was there.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll wait till I go in for my free oil change and tire rotation

MoJeepDust

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 XJ, 08 Avalanche, 76 CB550F
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
Got my recall today. Getting the oil changed and tires rotate Saturday and they told me the recall will take all DAY....a whole,day at least. I told the shop manager I believe it’s a software flash update but we said I needed to drop it off and plan on it being there 24 hours So cluelsss.
WOW. The recall takes15 -30 min. we ran 14 thru from open to lunch today.

MoJeepDust

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 XJ, 08 Avalanche, 76 CB550F
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
Also your dealer can calibrate you speedo for larger tires for little to no charge. It also takes 5 minutes and we've done it for all the JL owners we've sold who upgraded but some dealers are shadier than others.
The latest bulletin shows that according to build dates, ALL JL Wranglers will be included in the cruise control recall.

Here's my question: a lot of us have programmers to adjust our speedometers for larger tires. Obviously we will need to unmarry the device and remove all hardware before going to the dealership, since they'll be working directly on the computer system of the vehicle. However, if we remove, say, a Tazer JL device and unmarry it, does the tire size setting remain? Or will we then be rolling on large tires with an incorrect speedo when we show up at the dealership?

Seems like a classic case of damned if we do, damned if we don't. If we leave the vehicle programmed, that could be detected and void our warranty. But if we remove the program and render our odometer false, that could also be detected and void the warranty. If you have a cool dealership, you're probably OK. If not.... hmmm.........
I just talked to our service manager at the dealer I work at and here is what he told me. The device connected "tazer JL will only void the warranty if the component its connected to fails and it can be proven that the aftermarket product was the reason for the failure. Example: the tazer shorts out and causes the computer to short as well, Then you are not covered. If the compuer fails for issues unrelated then its still covered. Chrysler warranty works in favor of the owner, just don't let your dealer turn you away until Chrysler corporate has provided proof that the equipment failure is the fault of aftermarket parts. Your dealer should want the repairs to get done as they get paid from Chrysler for all warranty work. Your dealer can also reprogram/calibrate for larger tires and everything is still covered when installed by licensed Chrysler technicians. :)
hope this helps a little bit.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Had this recall done today and my paperwork shows U62, not U63. It says "reprogrammed powertrain control module".

They also did the Uconnect update at the same time to fix the random reboot issue.

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
It took 15 min for me to get the software update completed.

Sponsored

Dolfin14

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The latest bulletin shows that according to build dates, ALL JL Wranglers will be included in the cruise control recall.

Here's my question: a lot of us have programmers to adjust our speedometers for larger tires. Obviously we will need to unmarry the device and remove all hardware before going to the dealership, since they'll be working directly on the computer system of the vehicle. However, if we remove, say, a Tazer JL device and unmarry it, does the tire size setting remain? Or will we then be rolling on large tires with an incorrect speedo when we show up at the dealership?

Seems like a classic case of damned if we do, damned if we don't. If we leave the vehicle programmed, that could be detected and void our warranty. But if we remove the program and render our odometer false, that could also be detected and void the warranty. If you have a cool dealership, you're probably OK. If not.... hmmm.........
I did not have the speedometer adjusted. Should I? I put 35” tires on it? My dealer said he can for $50. Is it worth it? Newbie here? I have hear of it and questioned the dealer but not sure how necessary it is.

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine popped up today. Bought May 17.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I did not have the speedometer adjusted. Should I? I put 35” tires on it? My dealer said he can for $50. Is it worth it? Newbie here? I have hear of it and questioned the dealer but not sure how necessary it is.
You put 35s on your Jeep without adjusting the computer? YES, you definitely should. Not only is your speedometer WAY off now, but your odometer is also off which technically will void your complete warranty if a dealership ever gets picky with you about it. And lastly, if you have the automatic your shift schedule is thrown out of whack now. You need to adjust the computer for the correct tire size.

If your dealer will do it for $50, that's a great deal. Most charge $110. But, if they do it, use a GPS speedometer app on your phone to check and make sure your Jeep's speedo is perfectly correct. Dealers have a notoriously hard time getting speedometers set correctly. That's why I just bought the programmer to do it myself.

CDHarris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I didn’t wait for a notice on my new JL. Called local dealer service dept on Monday. Made appt for today. In and out in 15 minutes. So far, so good.
Sponsored