Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Found this recently;

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/25/autos/fca-recall-cruise-control/index.html

Is this with JL's or?

Fiat Chrysler is recalling 4.8 million vehicles over an issue that could prevent drivers from turning off cruise control.
Only one incident related to the malfunction has been reported to Fiat Chrysler (FCAU), and there are no reported injuries.

The issue can be triggered when the car accelerates while operating under cruise control, which it might do in order to maintain its speed while climbing a hill, the company said. This could potentially cause a short circuit.

When that happens, the vehicle can become locked in cruise control. The typical methods for exiting cruise control — tapping on the brakes or hitting the designated switch — can stop working. However, drivers would still be able to slow down or stop their vehicles by hitting the brakes, shifting into neutral or both.

FCA is asking owners of the recalled vehicles to bring them into dealerships for a no-cost software update that can prevent the short circuit. In the meantime, the company is advising drivers of the involved vehicles to avoid using cruise control.

The models covered under the recall include:

• 2015-17 Chrysler 200 sedan

• 2014-18 Chrysler 300 sedan

• 2014-18 Dodge Charger sedan

• 2014-18 Dodge Durango SUV

• 2014-18 Dodge Journey crossover

• 2014-18 Jeep Cherokee SUV

• 2014-18 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

• 2014-18 Ram 2500 pickup

• 2014-18 Ram 3500 cab chassis

• 2014-18 Ram 3500 pickup

• 2014-18 Ram 4500/5500 cab chassis

• 2014-19 Ram 1500 pickup

• 2015-18 Dodge Challenger coupe

• 2017-18 Chrysler Pacifica minivan

• 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho JLU Sport S
I would think so, 2018 Jeep Wrangler usually refers to the JL, they say 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK for the JK. Plus I would think 2014 to 2018's would be on there too if it's JK's.

Last edited by a moderator:

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
"Only one incident related to the malfunction has been reported"

Meanwhile, a dozen members here have had steering lockup, and most of them have filed a report with the NHTSA.

When's that recall happening???

Arnusoriano

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Scion TC, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, Horse
I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler 4door Sport S with almost 9K miles. I ve been using the cruise control a lot since my work commute is around 2 hours and a half (round trip). I haven't notice anything weird with the cruise control so far...

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
A question and a comment.

Q: did FCA redo the cruise control for the JL. If so, i might mean that the JL is unaffected (yet).

C: a software update? Wouldn't it be nice if there was this connection between computers that happened not only via wire, but airwaves. We could call the former, oh, I don't know--how does "the internet" sound, and the latter, Wi-Fi.

Software patches could happen without rigs having to physically visit a service center through wicked encryption that it would be very hard to hack.

Sound good?

Phyz

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Nissan Frontier NISMO
Weren't the Jeep designers/engineers crowing about how exclusive the JL was, sharing no parts with other FCA makes? Yet here the Wrangler is: lumped in with all the others in the FCA family on Recall Day. I guess the JL is not so exclusive after all.

Gecko-JKU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko JKU
A question and a comment.

Q: did FCA redo the cruise control for the JL. If so, i might mean that the JL is unaffected (yet).

C: a software update? Wouldn't it be nice if there was this connection between computers that happened not only via wire, but airwaves. We could call the former, oh, I don't know--how does "the internet" sound, and the latter, Wi-Fi.

Software patches could happen without rigs having to physically visit a service center through wicked encryption that it would be very hard to hack.

Sound good?
Yes the probably could Wi-fi the vehicles and do it in your house.... but then the dealerships don't get to service charge you for it. Although FCA could possibly charge more for a subscription to update your car.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Weren't the Jeep designers/engineers crowing about how exclusive the JL was, sharing no parts with other FCA makes? Yet here the Wrangler is: lumped in with all the others in the FCA family on Recall Day. I guess the JL is not so exclusive after all.
Well... back-end software like cruise control wasn't going to be bespoke to one model. Switchgear was more the kind of thing they were talking about.

Shares a V6 with every other FCA vehicle too.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
What's cruise control? I just keep my foot on the pedal like a boss, keeps my head in the game rather than day dreaming .

No recall notice via Mopar profile for me either.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
What's cruise control? I just keep my foot on the pedal like a boss, keeps my head in the game rather than day dreaming .

No recall notice via Mopar profile for me either.
Keeping your head in the game: valid point.

For me, it's about trying to save some gas--but your safety notions do trump that if an operator might be distracted by cruise control--for whatever reason.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
People who are constantly varying their speed on the highway are a menace to society.
I wish I could keep a constant speed, but there is always someone getting on my way :angry:
Just kidding :giggle: