Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It's all about inventory and price. They just rely on FCA to make a product people want, and everyone who is close will come out and buy it. If companies like Carvana get franchised with the manufacturers and start offering new cars you can bet that places like this will be out of business. Who really likes going to the dealer and spending 5-8 hours buying a car? not me.
I came very close to buying a used 2018 JL from Carvana: suffice to say, after 10 days of incompetence, frustration and delays, I ended backing out of the deal.

Good thing, too. A week later I found a nicely discounted, brand-spanking new 2018 JL waiting for me at a Jeep dealer 1,000 miles away. We completed the deal over the phone, flew out, picked it up and drove it home.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s Sport, 2001 TJ, 1989 xj
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Have you contacted NHTSA on the matter? The fine I believe is $21,000 to the dealer. Wondering what they would say.

I think the NHTSA form that has been posted is the claim from FCA to start a voluntary recall and their investigation dates. This all started in Nov 2019 with the initial investigation as stated in the NHTSA form.
It hasn't gotten to that point yet. I really just want my jeep fixed

If it takes 5-8 hours for a car deal I am out the door.
We all say that, but if you consider all the trips back and forth, dealing with at least 3 people, I don't think it's really possible to get out of a franchised dealer showroom in less than half a day. If you have to test drive more than one vehicle the time would just go up.
I came very close to buying a used 2018 JL from Carvana: suffice to say, after 10 days of incompetence, frustration and delays, I ended backing out of the deal.

Good thing, too. A week later I found a nicely discounted, brand-spanking new 2018 JL waiting for me at a Jeep dealer 1,000 miles away. We completed the deal over the phone, flew out, picked it up and drove it home.
I bought the 2016 silverado we traded in from carvana. I documented my experience here:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The debris in your trans is not related to this recall. The recall is on the clutch pressure plate, debris from which would not be able to enter your trans/gear oil.
Yeah I know.. I should have worded that better. I'm aware the recall is for the clutch/pressure plate. The note about debris in the trans was just fyi...

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

It's all about inventory and price. They just rely on FCA to make a product people want, and everyone who is close will come out and buy it. If companies like Carvana get franchised with the manufacturers and start offering new cars you can bet that places like this will be out of business. Who really likes going to the dealer and spending 5-8 hours buying a car? not me.
we went into the jeep dealer on a holiday weekend. had the wrangler already picked out and pre-approved CU loan. place was packed and only one finance guy. it took hours to get it done. i was almost ready to walk out. had our two little ones with us as well. terrible experience.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It hasn't gotten to that point yet. I really just want my jeep fixed

We all say that, but if you consider all the trips back and forth, dealing with at least 3 people, I don't think it's really possible to get out of a franchised dealer showroom in less than half a day. If you have to test drive more than one vehicle the time would just go up.

I bought the 2016 silverado we traded in from carvana. I documented my experience here:
My Carvana experience was atrocious. Everything had to be done through their 1-800 number, with the subsequent 15-30 minute wait for a customer “advocate” to become available.

After a 3-way call with my bank to verify funds, Carvana kept showing that they had to “verify funds.” I called numerous times to have them rectify it, and they’d say “We apologize for the the inconvenience. We will take care of it.” Next day nothing had changed. I’d call again, be put on hold, wait for 15-30 minutes, speak to someone new, explain the whole thing all over again, only to be told the same thing. The following day the same thing.

Ten days later I completed all their requirements and we are ready to close. As the customer “advocate” reviews my account he says “Looks like we still have to verify your funds.” Grrr! At that point I told him “You know what? Let’s just call the whole thing off.” He goes “Are you sure sir? Once we cancel the deal you can’t buy the vehicle any more.” I didn’t have the energy any more to explain once again that I’ve been talking to his colleagues about this for 10 days. I simply said “Just cancel the whole deal and give me my deposit back.”

At a traditional dealership there’s a sense of urgency to close the deal. At Carvana, so many people are involved that no one is really responsible for pushing your deal through.

Based on the only experience I have with Carvana I cannot recommend anyone to buy from them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech

That's why we use 1 person point of sale from start to finish where I work. Cuts down on alot of the wait around. Time for more dealers to get on this set up.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Same with me when my ordered JK came in. About a good 4 hours in the dealership. My theory is they want it that you’re so desperate to get out of there that you’ll sign their extended warranties and whatever other crap.
JL pickup day I was much smarter and transition was much better.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It also took me roughly 4 hours at the dealership when buying my JLU. I went to the dealership not fully committed on trading in my JKU. I wanted to test the waters and see what kind of deal I could negotiate. Turns out that I drove home with my new JLU that evening. I test drove a JLU, waited for my salesperson to either find the vehicle I wanted or tell me I had to order (they had a vehicle in stock), waited for the appraisal on my JKU, negotiated the deal, waited for delivery and prep of new JLU, signed all paperwork with finance, inspected new vehicle, transferred my stuff into new vehicle, transferred plates and drove home.

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
I always counter the extended warranty pitch with: "Hmm. You must know something I don't about the reliability of these things? Maybe I need to do a little more research before I buy". That shuts them up pretty fast.

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I always counter the extended warranty pitch with: "Hmm. You must know something I don't about the reliability of these things? Maybe I need to do a little more research before I buy". That shuts them up pretty fast.
One I like to use is "so you want me to make a gamble with the manufacturer of this vehicle that it will cost more to fix over (the length of the extended warranty) of time than (the amount that this warranty costs)?"
That one can stump them a bit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
***UPDATE***
FCA has updated the repair info for this recall. It states as follows-

"FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on affected vehicles to reroute a wire harness and inspect the clutch system, and replace components as needed."

So, this may solve some of the issues with fires, but not premature ware or fragmentation of the clutch itself. Will this mean the dealer pulls the trans to 'inspect', and just moves some wires?

I am still smelling burnt clutch when driving in 6th gear on the interstate. And it doesn't seem uncommon for these clutches to fail at less than 30k miles.

This fix is the equivalent to knowing a city is going to be bombed, and just evacuating the residents but not doing anything to stop the actual bombing. It only solves half the issues.

I don't know that this is going to be the limits of the repair in practice, but if so thats pretty unacceptable.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I paid $1200 for the 125k mile warranty on the truck and it's paid out over $8000 (transmission, fuel pump, power steering pump). I purchase the warranty via the lien holder (my credit union). I've heard too many stories about FCA warranty denials.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
***UPDATE***
FCA has updated the repair info for this recall. It states as follows-

"FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on affected vehicles to reroute a wire harness and inspect the clutch system, and replace components as needed."

So, this may solve some of the issues with fires, but not premature ware or fragmentation of the clutch itself. Will this mean the dealer pulls the trans to 'inspect', and just moves some wires?

I am still smelling burnt clutch when driving in 6th gear on the interstate. And it doesn't seem uncommon for these clutches to fail at less than 30k miles.

This fix is the equivalent to knowing a city is going to be bombed, and just evacuating the residents but not doing anything to stop the actual bombing. It only solves half the issues.

I don't know that this is going to be the limits of the repair in practice, but if so thats pretty unacceptable.
Yeah I fail to see how rerouting a wire harness has anything to do with the pressure plate exploding.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent counter Dave. I wish I could give that one ten thumbs up.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Cap if your slipping the clutch due to incline just use 4Low. You shouldn’t slip then.
Okay, thanks - I will try that.
But is slipping under such situation under very low RPM considered normal? Aren't clutches designed to take this much and necessary slippage?
Sponsored