CDJR Master Tech
The official recall date ie 3/10.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You can trace the time line, and be doggone sure FCA has, under the W12 description of dealer notification. This is KEY ITEM. The W12 was 7 days prior to your take delivery date, I believe. Check this !! Doubt very very much that the Dealer didn't have this by your take delivery date. The W12 is advance notification to the dealer that a recall is coming. Putting you in a vehicle with this level of " Warning" is inexcusable.
CHAIN OF EVIDENCE. Timing is Everything...

brbutler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 6-speed, 2016 VW GTI 6-speed, 1984 Porsche 928S 5-speed

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I've been driving the heck out of my '20 six speed... up and down mountains at 5k rpm. Lots of off roading. 7k miles and just replaced the fluid yesterday. There was a shocking amount of debris in the trans. If it was going to explode I think it would have already happened.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
ye
Yes, the recall can be done at any dealer. Issue is that other dealers might not prioritize my jeep since it didn't come from them. Like, they will want to get the customers who purchased from them done first to preserve their reputation.

It looks like you special ordered yours? My guess is that they probably did the PDI and processed it before the recall wen't live on the 3rd even though you took delivery on the 4th. But thats just a theory.
yeah, ordered 1/21 and took possession 3/4.

Sponsored

tee barry

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2020 JL Sport
Just purchased mine on March 3, 2020, have not received anything from FCA yet, but when i look it up by VIN number, mine is also a recall.

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
Not to get too far off track, but no joke! That place is a shark tank.
I contacted them on Saturday night and got a preapproval, scheduled a time to go in and look at it. We show up and not two feet away from stepping out of the car and a salesman accosted us. We told him we already had a salesman we were working with. Dude says “well I’ll be helping you from here” he straight stole the other guys sale.
And let me tell you about that finance office- the place was kept at a balmy 95 degrees while they tried to sweat us out into agreeing to an extended warranty. Mind you, the Silverado we traded was financed at a pretty competitive rate with perfect payment history and the guy was blowing smoke up my ass saying he could only get us a rate that parallels my credit card. After 2.5 hours of pretending to look for a better rate, saying ‘well they may give a better rate if you do this service plan’ while we were trapped in this sauna my girlfriend finally broke down in tears from the pressure of the sales process. At that point he gave up the act and gave us the same rate we had on the Silverado.
Would not recommend.
go to koons in tysons, talk to Craig. awesome experience. he is VERY busy though, as he is the internet jeep sales person. i drove from culpeper to buy from him. but had a flawless experience.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Though I am concerned about the recall, and would be impatient about it, but thankfully I don't have the burning clutch smell.
The only time I have to slip the clutch a little is when I park in the garage. I have a somewhat steeply inlined driveway and also needs a little bit of maneuver to get it into the corner of the garage. I keep my RPM at about 1.5K and that too for a few seconds.

For reversing, I don't even have to press gas as it is downhill but I still have to slip the clutch for a few seconds too.
Cap if your slipping the clutch due to incline just use 4Low. You shouldn’t slip then.

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s Sport, 2001 TJ, 1989 xj
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
The official recall date ie 3/10.
So this is a bit confusing. Hopefully you can help me (and everyone else) understand-
I saw your other post where you put up the Advance Communication from 3/4 that said there would be a recall, and the mopar site shows the recall occured 3/3. The only place I have seen anything about the date being 3/10 is the Stop Sell order where they instituted the floorplan buyback.
So, if nothing else, the dealer KNEW there would be a recall on the jeep they sold me. Now we really just need to figure out if they violated the law- that's still a grey area.

I've been driving the heck out of my '20 six speed... up and down mountains at 5k rpm. Lots of off roading. 7k miles and just replaced the fluid yesterday. There was a shocking amount of debris in the trans. If it was going to explode I think it would have already happened.
The debris in your trans is not related to this recall. The recall is on the clutch pressure plate, debris from which would not be able to enter your trans/gear oil.

here is the notice on the recall from @LABLUE over on https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fire-result-of-transmission-failure.46100/page-11
Screenshot_20200306-195157_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
So this is a bit confusing. Hopefully you can help me (and everyone else) understand-
I saw your other post where you put up the Advance Communication from 3/4 that said there would be a recall, and the mopar site shows the recall occured 3/3. The only place I have seen anything about the date being 3/10 is the Stop Sell order where they instituted the floorplan buyback.
So, if nothing else, the dealer KNEW there would be a recall on the jeep they sold me. Now we really just need to figure out if they violated the law- that's still a grey area.

The debris in your trans is not related to this recall. The recall is on the clutch pressure plate, debris from which would not be able to enter your trans/gear oil.

here is the notice on the recall from @LABLUE over on https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fire-result-of-transmission-failure.46100/page-11
Screenshot_20200306-195157_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
It's an advanced communication to the dealer so they can be prepared for when customers call. Now that said, FCA knows theres a recall coming but they dont know when. Sometimes they have to wait for the government to ok the plan/repair. You couldn't see if your vehicle was in the recall until 3/10. I will say the notice is sent in the dealerconnect website. If they dont look at that communication, did they know? Hard to say. The stop sale is dated 3/10. We have a customer who wanted to purchase our only Rubicon manual. Hes to to purchase on 3/7, but couldn't due to being sick. Came in the 10th, couldn't buy it. He still wanted to take it home knowing about the recall.

If you are that concerned about it starting a fire and endangering your family there are ways around this. We have customers in rental cars for long periods of time due to a recall and they don't feel safe. Call FCA, the number is in your owners manual and they can assist you. You probably wont be in a Wrangler. You can request a 4wd truck.

On some other news, you can now order manual transmission JL/JT. I would think the fix is going to be quicker than 1st expected.

I know some may be put off by having their Jeeps worked on but these are fairly simple to do. I would volunteer to do all of them in my dealer under the recall. I know warranty clutches pay 3.8 hours to replace. I have done a couple, not for exploding the trans but for being worn.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
It's an advanced communication to the dealer so they can be prepared for when customers call. Now that said, FCA knows theres a recall coming but they dont know when. Sometimes they have to wait for the government to ok the plan/repair. You couldn't see if your vehicle was in the recall until 3/10. I will say the notice is sent in the dealerconnect website. If they dont look at that communication, did they know? Hard to say. The stop sale is dated 3/10. We have a customer who wanted to purchase our only Rubicon manual. Hes to to purchase on 3/7, but couldn't due to being sick. Came in the 10th, couldn't buy it. He still wanted to take it home knowing about the recall.

If you are that concerned about it starting a fire and endangering your family there are ways around this. We have customers in rental cars for long periods of time due to a recall and they don't feel safe. Call FCA, the number is in your owners manual and they can assist you. You probably wont be in a Wrangler. You can request a 4wd truck.

On some other news, you can now order manual transmission JL/JT. I would think the fix is going to be quicker than 1st expected.

I know some may be put off by having their Jeeps worked on but these are fairly simple to do. I would volunteer to do all of them in my dealer under the recall. I know warranty clutches pay 3.8 hours to replace. I have done a couple, not for exploding the trans but for being worn.
I just checked alldata, and its showing about the same for book time on that job. 3.8 hours is Surprisingly low, but at least we know that there should be a quick turnaround on these! after the first 3-4 they complete I'll bet tech's will be knocking these out way faster than the rate.

All that being said, its still pretty unethical to send us home in a vehicle that they should have known FCA had announced a recall for a pretty major safety issue and not tell us. Let us make that judgement call. That advanced communication doesn't say "maybe there will be a recall" it says "there is a recall." If they didn't know, it's still negligent for them not to have looked for communications from FCA. That's literally their job as a franchised dealer.

I get what you're saying, that there wasn't a stop-sell from FCA until the 10th. But it was announced to dealers. Admittedly, I'm not an attorney, but if FCA announces a recall pretty sure that the federal law that prevents sale of vehicles with recall's that haven't been repaired would supersede any other interpretation of the policies of FCA if in fact FCA would allow the sale.

Furthermore, from @Capricorn posted at
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...uals-overheating-clutch-pressure-plate.47887/
We can see that, in fact, the recall was submitted to the NHTSA on 3/3. There's a pretty clear chain of evidence that any manual jl/jt sold after 3/3 was a violation of the law. It really takes some fantastic mental gymnastics for me to come up with an interpretation of the law that I have been able to find where this was in any way something that should have happened.
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat.png

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

if the GM of Lustine Jeep is actually reading this thread then he should see all the members who have had terrible experiences at his dealership and the reasons why, and the fact that the word is being passed around to avoid this dealership like a coronavirus cruise ship. you would think they'd care, but probably not. the wranglers will still keep selling and they will continue to reap profits due to their horrible high pressure sales tactics.

and there's no way regular Joes on the forum would know about a recall before a dealership would. i dont buy the "we didnt know" bs. even if he says he's being sincere

sincerely.jpg

OP
OP
Kyle17428

Kyle17428

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.narddesign.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
if the GM of Lustine Jeep is actually reading this thread then he should see all the members who have had terrible experiences at his dealership and the reasons why, and the fact that the word is being passed around to avoid this dealership like a coronavirus cruise ship. you would think they'd care, but probably not. the wranglers will still keep selling and they will continue to reap profits due to their horrible high pressure sales tactics.

and there's no way regular Joes on the forum would know about a recall before a dealership would. i dont buy the "we didnt know" bs. even if he says he's being sincere
It's all about inventory and price. They just rely on FCA to make a product people want, and everyone who is close will come out and buy it. If companies like Carvana get franchised with the manufacturers and start offering new cars you can bet that places like this will be out of business. Who really likes going to the dealer and spending 5-8 hours buying a car? not me.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Have you contacted NHTSA on the matter? The fine I believe is $21,000 to the dealer. Wondering what they would say.

I think the NHTSA form that has been posted is the claim from FCA to start a voluntary recall and their investigation dates. This all started in Nov 2019 with the initial investigation as stated in the NHTSA form.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
It's all about inventory and price. They just rely on FCA to make a product people want, and everyone who is close will come out and buy it. If companies like Carvana get franchised with the manufacturers and start offering new cars you can bet that places like this will be out of business. Who really likes going to the dealer and spending 5-8 hours buying a car? not me.
If it takes 5-8 hours for a car deal I am out the door.
Sponsored